Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 2010
Doc's Request.
April 2010
File Transfer...
April 2010 ! March 2012 6-12 months wait letter
Hi Friends,

I was a active member sometime before and now trying to settle myself to new life in Canada.
MY EXPERIENCE IN SHORT:-
I landed in Canada as PR in November 2013. Had a good job in UAE and came with an initial plan to stay 3 weeks in Canada and go back, will come to settle after 2 years. Tried to do job market survey after landing. Got couple of job offers in Toronto but mostly at entry level (No worries, I refused as not looking for job and was doing survey). One week before I was suppose to return, got a job offer which was hard to refuse and I accepted it. In my field and similar designation as in UAE. Went back UAE packed up, left my job and came back to Canada to start new life with no relatives or friends here. Stayed 2 weeks in company accommodation and moved out to my own apartment.

My one month Experience, life is hard and taxes are very very very high. By god grace, I dont have to survival job else its hard to survive on low income. I already have full class driving licence of Canada, as this is first thing I did once i landed but don't wish to buy car now. Car insurance is crazy high and plus mortgage. When people hear about UAE life, they always mention why i choose Canada but we all make our choices.

Canadians usually don't travel other places apart from USA, so don't be surprised if you speak with them and they know,part of world you are coming from. They usually have no savings as well bcz everything they have is on mortgage.

My advise is don't look for survival jobs, else life becomes very hard and you wont like it. We have one life to live only and don't like to make it too hard by sharing room with xxxxxxx no. of people or not having what we like to have. Before coming work on yourself and surely you will land a decent job to start a new chapter in lif
e.

Good luck everyone and warm welcome. I believe, its easy to get a job, when you have a job. So don't leave your work & burn your ship to come here, else you will land in part time low income or survival jobs only.

rawdah

Champion Member
May 8, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
LONDON
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-05-2013 PER Rec'd...: 07-08-2013
Doc's Request.
04-03-2014
Med's Request
23-09-2014
Med's Done....
24-09-2014
Passport Req..
PPR1:23-09-2014, PPR2: 20-10-2014
VISA ISSUED...
22-10-2014
LANDED..........
04-12-2014
Thanks for sharing :)

What is your job designation and profile in Canada?

Were you asked for any Canadian experience and Professional licensing?

Smileforu

Jan 23, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 2010
Doc's Request.
April 2010
File Transfer...
rawdah said:
Thanks for sharing :)

What is your job designation and profile in Canada?

Were you asked for any Canadian experience and Professional licensing?
[/quote

They ask usually Canadian experience to reject you or pay you less. Anyways its a trick, later they wont consider survival job experience as well. Key for success here is your past experience and communication. I dont need professional licensing for my profession

lenijames

Sep 17, 2013
Hi..
Me too immigrated to Canada on December 19nth 2013. I would fully agree with smile4u that u have to first try to get in your profession. Once u get stuck in survival job, it is difficult to change gears. Yeah of course if things don't work out after 3 months, you should try for survival jobs only if the finances are a concern for u. I wouldn't go into details of my landing over here. But I always considered whatever funds I am bringing over here is an investment expenditure for sustaining myself in the 1st year. And so took a very nice apartment in a condo(Duke of York) in Mississauga near Square One where all the basic amenities are near by.... from central bus service to shopping complexes etc etc. So life got easy in that respect although the rent was very high. And arranged all the accommodation + cell + home land line + internet + necessary furniture in the first five days of my arrival here. As soon as I got my net connections started applying for jobs. Within 26 days of my stay here had 4 interviews only but struck gold with the 4th one and will be joining the company from 20th January 2013. I made a strategy to just try looking for a job only in my area of expertise for the first three months. Combined with lots and lots of prayers I think I got blessed with this opportunity. You just have to push ur self to get settled fast and whatever be the climate just try ur best. If you have experience then the only thing that matters is communication and the way you dress up for an interview. If u r able to speak good English(slang is not a problem here) then there would be no probs at all. The only thing is that each day u have to strategize and push urself and try to market urself. Create as much network possible. Although I just got a job by marketing myself directly to the recruiters(was plain lucky), networking is the most important over here.

When I reached, people from my community(kerala) discouraged me by saying that I would have to struggle for almost a year to get a job. But I never paid a heed to any of their suggestion. For me, Days I spent commuting in the public transit(which helped me a great deal to know the places) and going to different companies and agencies.

Have faith in your God and with lots of prayers just try ur best to push and market urself aggressively. Survival jobs are in plenty here. Even if u don't get a job in ur profession after 3 months, it would not be a problem to get in a survival job. The best thing about me is that I am an accountant with a Bachelors Degree + intermediate of ICAI + 15 yr exp only. So I was suggested that even fully fledged CAs and cost accountants are not getting a job and they have to do cga or cma or cpa. But that is not the case... there are jobs for all here and if u r experienced in your profession just make a great resume and market urself. But of course for medical and engineering field u have to do the compulsory licensing.

Leni James K

Hasni

Champion Member
May 16, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
LVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
28.11.2013 by the grace of Allah SWT
Smileforu said:
Hi Friends,

I was a active member sometime before and now trying to settle myself to new life in Canada.
MY EXPERIENCE IN SHORT:-
I landed in Canada as PR in November 2013. Had a good job in UAE and came with an initial plan to stay 3 weeks in Canada and go back, will come to settle after 2 years. Tried to do job market survey after landing. Got couple of job offers in Toronto but mostly at entry level (No worries, I refused as not looking for job and was doing survey). One week before I was suppose to return, got a job offer which was hard to refuse and I accepted it. In my field and similar designation as in UAE. Went back UAE packed up, left my job and came back to Canada to start new life with no relatives or friends here. Stayed 2 weeks in company accommodation and moved out to my own apartment.

My one month Experience, life is hard and taxes are very very very high. By god grace, I dont have to survival job else its hard to survive on low income. I already have full class driving licence of Canada, as this is first thing I did once i landed but don't wish to buy car now. Car insurance is crazy high and plus mortgage. When people hear about UAE life, they always mention why i choose Canada but we all make our choices.

Canadians usually don't travel other places apart from USA, so don't be surprised if you speak with them and they know,part of world you are coming from. They usually have no savings as well bcz everything they have is on mortgage.

My advise is don't look for survival jobs, else life becomes very hard and you wont like it. We have one life to live only and don't like to make it too hard by sharing room with xxxxxxx no. of people or not having what we like to have. Before coming work on yourself and surely you will land a decent job to start a new chapter in lif
e.

Good luck everyone and warm welcome. I believe, its easy to get a job, when you have a job. So don't leave your work & burn your ship to come here, else you will land in part time low income or survival jobs only.

Hi smileforu, excellent, so happy to know you already got a job. Wish I also have a piece of luck like your :)

Hasni

Champion Member
May 16, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
LVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Hi Leni James,
many congrats, must say you guys have not only acted smart but have proven to be very lucky. one can say it as a wonderful strategy now cuz it worked. Did you get job in Mississauga ! Can you please clear me on one point, as you said you picked Mississauga as your base camp, now what to do if I get a job lets say in some area far from Mississauga. Should I go for a short term rental initially and avoid putting kids in school till the time i get a job, what do you say !

lenijames

Sep 17, 2013
Yeah Hasni...
I agree that I can say it is a wonderful strategy because it worked. What I feel is that I got lucky with the job hunt. God's grace and blessings. Also I showed some boldness and showed the employer my desire for that job. I mean you have to take ur chances in whatever limited opportunities come your way. I made it a point to contact with the employer thanking him for giving me the opportunity to interview and reiterating my desire to get the position and why I would be the best person for the job. That just worked for me. Otherwise I am not a person who has got any incredible profile. You got to be bold, communicate, good in your work and show ur desire for that job to the employer. And of course have to be lucky.

Being a male, I don't have a problem where the job is located. I just wanted to get the job. Though I am living in mississuaga and have to travel for 1 hr 20 mts to my job place in Richmond Hill, I am not complaining. My wife and three kids would be coming during 1st week of April. Only after my wife who is in medical profession gets a job, I would think to relocate to a place nearby where she is working. In the mean time I would be in Mississauga. It's a great place to live and I think the transit system is great over here and very dependable. I am trying for my license in the mean time.

That's my view point on going for a job to a distant place. Only because I am a male and it would not be a problem for me. However I would not be able to comment on the rental aspect as I am also a total newcomer and am into my 30th day here. You should have discussions in your family or should ask some experts about this and take a decision u r going to feel comfortable.

Regards

Leni

Hasni

Champion Member
May 16, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
LVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Leni did you get your résumé trimmed from a résumé writer or did it by yourself ! Secondly were you called for a personal interview ! You are right, it's all about how effectively you market yourself. I had also enjoyed my stay at Mississauga , a nice place , specially if you are close to square one, almost everything is a little walk away. In case you plan to take few driving classes, do share which driving school you have picked !!

Smileforu

Jan 23, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 2010
Doc's Request.
April 2010
File Transfer...
Hasni said:
Leni did you get your résumé trimmed from a résumé writer or did it by yourself ! Secondly were you called for a personal interview ! You are right, it's all about how effectively you market yourself. I had also enjoyed my stay at Mississauga , a nice place , specially if you are close to square one, almost everything is a little walk away. In case you plan to take few driving classes, do share which driving school you have picked !!
If you have driving experience of UAE, you can take few lessons only and you will be fine. If you wish there are many driving instructors outside Drive Test Centre Mississauga who can help you with lessons !!

Hasni

Champion Member
May 16, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
LVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Smileforu said:
If you have driving experience of UAE, you can take few lessons only and you will be fine. If you wish there are many driving instructors outside Drive Test Centre Mississauga who can help you with lessons !!
thanks dear, actually I am looking for some kind or "tried and tested" school / instructor. Because during my recent stay I noticed that most of them are just after making money out of you. I came across one and he said altogether he will charge CAD 600 which includes preparation classes and provision of car on test day.