+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

About Extension of Study Permit Outside Canada

andyjun1234

Apr 27, 2020
Good morning everyone! I hope you guys are all staying safe from COVID-19

My Study permit will be expired on August, 2020 and I am currently residing in Hong Kong. I was planning to extend my visa in Canada before august, however due to the COVID-19, I was thinking that it is better to extend it in advance before I enter Canada.

Is it possible to extend the study permit outside Canada? Or is it just better to re apply for new study permit ?

Thanks for reading my email!

andyjun1234

Apr 27, 2020
Hi, I couldn't extend the visa outside Canada. Therefore I just applied for a new study permit. It took me around 2 months to get accepted. Hope this can help you

Reactions: Huongmo

vnkt_krish

May 30, 2020
Hi ! Thanks for your reply.
Are we allowed to study during that period of processing of the new application? Also when is it ideal to apply for a new application when you already have a valid visa ?

andyjun1234

Apr 27, 2020
Not sure for the first question, you should better ask your advisor in your uni. For the second question, make sure to apply few month before your current visa gets expire.

llnkaik

Jul 8, 2019
Hi, I face the same situation as you.
I am in China now and my visa expires on September and my study permit expires on December!
when you choose to apply for a new study permit? Which form do you fill out?
IMM5257?Or IMM1294e?
How you answer the question "Do you have a vaild study permit and need a visa to return to Canada?
because if I choose i have a study permit, they give me the form is IMM5257 for visitors?
If i choose I do not, they give me the form IMM1294e like the first time I applied for study permit?
Please help me!

vnkt_krish

May 30, 2020
Hi i checked with my college and they told i have to apply a new study permit if i am outside canada.. you can apply a new one before the old one expired based on the processing time now.. so its advisable you apply a few months before it expires

llnkaik

Jul 8, 2019
Hi i checked with my college and they told i have to apply a new study permit if i am outside canada.. you can apply a new one before the old one expired based on the processing time now.. so its advisable you apply a few months before it expires
since the old one is not expired yet,
for the question , do you have a vaild study permit and need the visa come to canada?

when you choose you already has a vaild study permit, it automatically go to the visa extend,

Or you just choose No study permit now?

it is very confusing for me

please help

llnkaik

Jul 8, 2019
hi andy,

since the old study permit is not expired yet,

for the question , do you have a vaild study permit and need the visa come to canada?

when you choose you already has a vaild study permit, it automatically go to the visa extend,

Or you just choose No study permit now?

it is very confusing for me

please help

sevgisahin

Nov 25, 2019
Hello, I am in the same situation. please help if anyone has information. Plus @andyjun1234 you get a new visa but the study permit is different than a study visa and the actual one allows you to study is study permit isn't it?