+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Able to apply for work permit while waiting for spousal sponsorship?

thedecemberists

Star Member
Jan 21, 2017
Hi, I'm very new to this. I'm a Canadian, my girlfriend's not. She's here on a working visa that expires soon. She was hoping to apply for PR, but now she's learning that what she thought was a masters in her country (in Europe) is considered a bachelors here, so she has no chance of meeting the required points. On top of that, her work visa expires in a few months, which is a shame because she has a very good job leading a very big project.

I didn't want us to become common-law for another year, but I already know she's the one. Haven't mentioned anything to her though as I'm not sure if this is an option, but is becoming common-law an option to keep her here and make sure she continues with her work? From what I hear, it takes more than a year after becoming common-law to become get a PR, correct? If that's the case, is it possible to get a work permit during that time, just to make sure she continues her job? And if this is possible, how long would it take to get the work permit?

Thanks. Appreciate all the help.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
thedecemberists said:
I didn't want us to become common-law for another year,
Common-law is not a voluntary choice, you automatically become common-law when you've lived with your partner for 12 consecutive months. Have you done this already?

Same with taxes, it's not a choice. Once you reach 12 months living together you must inform CRA of your marital change for tax purposes.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
thedecemberists said:
Oh, no we haven't. Then I guess the only option is going to City Hall and getting married?
You can certainly get married, and then she can file an inland PR application along with an OWP application. She would get the OWP after approx 4 months.

What kind of work permit is she currently on? Depending on the type, she may need to stop working after her current work status expires and while she's waiting for OWP from inland PR app.

Also how long have you been dating? Sometimes a quick city hall marriage after a quick relationship can be seen as suspicious, since it sounds like your basically just doing it to allow her to stay in Canada and continue working. Make sure the marriage would be for genuine reasons other than immigration. The longer you've been dating, the easier the process will be.

thedecemberists

Star Member
Jan 21, 2017
SHe's on a Working Holiday visa. We've only been dating for... 7 months, but at 33 years old and 5 relationships behind me, I know this is it. I didn't want to rush into it, and still don't, but I'm considering it.

If she has to stop working, then that would defeat the whole purpose of this. I'm just trying to figure a way out to make sure she doesn't stop working.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
thedecemberists said:
SHe's on a Working Holiday visa. We've only been dating for... 7 months, but at 33 years old and 5 relationships behind me, I know this is it. I didn't want to rush into it, and still don't, but I'm considering it.

If she has to stop working, then that would defeat the whole purpose of this. I'm just trying to figure a way out to make sure she doesn't stop working.
As she is on an IEC, she would have to stop working when her current permit expires. She can remain in Canada but cannot work until she receives the OWP, which as Rob said, takes 4 months after applying for PR.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
thedecemberists said:

If the only reason you'd be getting married now is to allow her to stay and continue working, and you wouldn't be rushing into it if there was no immigration issue here, that is pretty much a marriage of convenience (one done mainly for immigration purposes). If the visa officer also suspects this, she could face long delays in her PR app.

If her work really values her, she can ask them if they are willing to go through the LMIA process for her. If her employer can get an LMIA approved, she could then get a closed work permit based on that. This also takes lots of time to do though, so again there will be some time period where she will need to stop working.

Due to the timing here, there is probably no way at all she can continue to work immediately after her current working holiday visa expires.

danawhitaker

Aug 4, 2016
United States
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-09-2016
AOR Received.
21-10-2016
File Transfer...
28-10-2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
22-07-2016
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
14-02-2017
VISA ISSUED...
02-03-2017
LANDED..........
05-03-2017
thedecemberists said:

It really seems like you would be marrying for the wrong reason at the wrong time, even if you think she's the right person. Putting myself in her shoes, personally, I would be uncomfortable getting married under those circumstances.

cyclist

Mar 26, 2016
Vancouver,BC, Canada
Visa Office......
Ankara
App. Filed.......
June 22,2016
Doc's Request.
December 13,2016
AOR Received.
August 16,2016
File Transfer...
August24,2016
Med's Done....
April 6,2016
Interview........
Nov 3, 2016(passed)..January 17 ,2017 DM (Ecas)
LANDED..........
17-02-2017
Rob_TO said:
Common-law is not a voluntary choice, you automatically become common-law when you've lived with your partner for 12 consecutive months. Have you done this already?

Same with taxes, it's not a choice. Once you reach 12 months living together you must inform CRA of your marital change for tax purposes.
hi Rob..I have a common law partner ..we became common-law on Feb 2016..so do we HAVE TO file tax as a common-law?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
cyclist said:
hi Rob..I have a common law partner ..we became common-law on Feb 2016..so do we HAVE TO file tax as a common-law?
Legally - absolutely.