+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

A warning regarding POF (bank accounts)

bairn7

Feb 27, 2015
Just wanted to post a bit of advice to those who are in the EE pool (or are considering entering). If you are yet to receive ITA, check with your bank NOW that they are able/willing to provide the necessary proof of funds.

I assumed this would not be much trouble. I have an everyday account with Bank A and a separate account with Bank B which holds my POF amount.

Bank A - refuse outright to provide a letter in the required format. Bank statements online are all that I am able to obtain.

Bank B - Refuse outright to provide a letter in the required format. Furthermore, as my account has had no debits in a while (becuase my POF amount is sitting there so that it is protected) they stopped generating bank statements (apparently they only issue statements where debits are made). So I have a period between September and January (I have now made a debit) where I have no bank statement.

As I received ITA last week, my only option is to explain this in my LOE and beg for mercy when my application is considered. But I think that my chances of PR are now gone as I cannot provide the necessary POF.

Please check with your bank now that they can provide the necessary info. If not, move to a bank who can.

RaulFloyd

Star Member
May 28, 2018
AOR Received.
17-07-2018
About:
"As I received ITA last week, my only option is to explain this in my LOE and beg for mercy when my application is considered. But I think that my chances of PR are now gone as I cannot provide the necessary POF."
You're being very pessimistic. In Brazil people have trouble getting the letter and they workaround with translated statements and LOE's. I'm not aware of a single person who couldn't get the PR because of this (worst case is getting a "review required" by officers in the POF, which causes delay in the application processing time).

Heads up man, you're gonna be fine.

Reactions: Shahanastar

bairn7

Feb 27, 2015
About:
"As I received ITA last week, my only option is to explain this in my LOE and beg for mercy when my application is considered. But I think that my chances of PR are now gone as I cannot provide the necessary POF."
You're being very pessimistic. In Brazil people have trouble getting the letter and they workaround with translated statements and LOE's. I'm not aware of a single person who couldn't get the PR because of this (worst case is getting a "review required" by officers in the POF, which causes delay in the application processing time).

Heads up man, you're gonna be fine.
Well, I have neither a letter nor statements, as explained above. I struggle to see how that will be accepted, but I will try. I just wanted to urge people to confirm with their current bank what evidence they are willing to provide. Had I checked months ago, I would've moved bank to avoid this unnecessary stress.

ishq74

Champion Member
Jul 18, 2017
Well, I have neither a letter nor statements, as explained above. I struggle to see how that will be accepted, but I will try. I just wanted to urge people to confirm with their current bank what evidence they are willing to provide. Had I checked months ago, I would've moved bank to avoid this unnecessary stress.
You still can move bank, you have sixty days to play around. I have opened a bank account on Monday, deposited money on Wednesday and got statement and letter (without six month average) on Thursday. It was a gift so provided the gift deed, my application got approved and waiting for PPR mail.

All you need is, find a good bank and transfer all the money to that new account. Then get their letter (you don't need six month average balance) and statement. Then get statement from old bank to show the transaction to proof the money is yours. Now write just everything happened in a letter of explanation and upload it along with the old bank statement. That's all, I can bet, you won't have any problem at all.

Good Luck!

Reactions: pizzaboy99

bairn7

Feb 27, 2015
You still can move bank, you have sixty days to play around. I have opened a bank account on Monday, deposited money on Wednesday and got statement and letter (without six month average) on Thursday. It was a gift so provided the gift deed, my application got approved and waiting for PPR mail.

All you need is, find a good bank and transfer all the money to that new account. Then get their letter (you don't need six month average balance) and statement. Then get statement from old bank to show the transaction to proof the money is yours. Now write just everything happened in a letter of explanation and upload it along with the old bank statement. That's all, I can bet, you won't have any problem at all.

Good Luck!
Thanks, but to be honest, I'm not sure this is the best advice. Doing as you propose above would inevitably cause delay as I would expect the immigration officer would want to know that the funds I have just transferred were mine. Otherwise what is to stop someone transferring money to me in one account and then I transfer it to a new account.

This would put me back in the situation of not being able to provide statements because the bank didn't generate them. I'm stuck with what I have but I merely wanted to urge others to consider their current banking setup if they have more time than me to play with.

ishq74

Champion Member
Jul 18, 2017
Thanks, but to be honest, I'm not sure this is the best advice. Doing as you propose above would inevitably cause delay as I would expect the immigration officer would want to know that the funds I have just transferred were mine. Otherwise what is to stop someone transferring money to me in one account and then I transfer it to a new account.

This would put me back in the situation of not being able to provide statements because the bank didn't generate them. I'm stuck with what I have but I merely wanted to urge others to consider their current banking setup if they have more time than me to play with.
It is your life, your file mate, you are free to do anything you would like to do. I have given you a prime example of successful application but still you are skeptical about it. You can transfer the amount to your Father/Mother/Father-in law/Mother-in law/Brother/Sister's account and then transfer back to your new account. Then show the gift deed. This is what exactly I have done.

Anyway I was offering you an effective proven solution to your problem, it is up to you to take it or leave it.

Good Luck!

bairn7

Feb 27, 2015
You mean lie. I'm not going to be doing that. If I don't get PR then I don't. Again, this is just as a warning in the hope that it can help others.

tobs

VIP Member
May 25, 2018
Nigeria
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
10-07-2018
AOR Received.
10-07-2018
Passport Req..
04-01-2019
You mean lie. I'm not going to be doing that. If I don't get PR then I don't. Again, this is just as a warning in the hope that it can help others.
You really don't want to be helped, do you? Using a gift deed isn't a lie. it's what 60% of people use and they get their PR
But i'm sure you'll be alright eventually.

Reactions: RaulFloyd

bairn7

Feb 27, 2015
You really don't want to be helped, do you? Using a gift deed isn't a lie. it's what 60% of people use and they get their PR
But i'm sure you'll be alright eventually.
Using a deed of gift is a lie if I have to transfer funds to my parents first in order for them to gift the money back to me. Again, I don't want advice on my situation, I just want to hopefully help others who have more time to guarantee that obtaining the required bank letter is not going to be a problem for them.

A deed of gift by itself is an acceptable method of showing POF. If the funds originate from the donor and are a genuine gift.

tobs

VIP Member
May 25, 2018
Nigeria
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
10-07-2018
AOR Received.
10-07-2018
Passport Req..
04-01-2019
Using a deed of gift is a lie if I have to transfer funds to my parents first in order for them to gift the money back to me. Again, I don't want advice on my situation, I just want to hopefully help others who have more time to guarantee that obtaining the required bank letter is not going to be a problem for them.

A deed of gift by itself is an acceptable method of showing POF. If the funds originate from the donor and are a genuine gift.
Alright. All the best with your application.