+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

"A professional degree needed to practice a licensed profession" - help

bairn7

Feb 27, 2015
I've asked in a separate thread about the interpretation of 'a professional degree needed to practice a licensed profession'. I have a law degree and I interpreted this phrase as encapsulating a law degree.

Others seem to think that because it is a foreign law degree, and I can't automatically practise law in Canada with that, it doesn't count.

Any lawyers/accountants etc have any thoughts on this? I need to know what to select in the qualifications section of my EE entry.

Thanks

mf4361

Champion Member
Apr 17, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18 Nov 2015
Nomination.....
12 Oct 2015
AOR Received.
25 Feb 2016
IELTS Request
Sent
Med's Request
28 Oct 2016
Med's Done....
14 Nov 2016
Passport Req..
27 Feb 2017
VISA ISSUED...
15 Mar 2017
LANDED..........
16 Mar 2017
Not a lawyer here. That statement means because certain occupations are regulated professions in Canada, you have to have a license to practice in Canada. So you might have to write an exam or gain some experience in order to get your lawyer license (I don't know the details). You should check out the regulating body for lawyers in Canada.

fat_penguin

Star Member
Dec 5, 2014
"...For Express Entry, we only accept professional degrees in these fields:

medicine,
veterinary medicine,
dentistry,
optometry,
law,
chiropractic medicine, or
pharmacy."

Source: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/eca-conversion.asp

Also, please note that this is taken from an "How to read your ECA report" page. That tells me foreign law experience is still considered "professional" degree if an ECA report proves equivalency. Just my interpretation.

Cheers.

bairn7

Feb 27, 2015
Thanks

The ECA has classified my law degree as a Bachelors degree equivalent. The degree I have is the standard law degree in the UK to enter the legal profession. I don't understand whether this counts as a 'professional degree needed to practice a licensed profession' or not??

mf4361

Champion Member
Apr 17, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18 Nov 2015
Nomination.....
12 Oct 2015
AOR Received.
25 Feb 2016
IELTS Request
Sent
Med's Request
28 Oct 2016
Med's Done....
14 Nov 2016
Passport Req..
27 Feb 2017
VISA ISSUED...
15 Mar 2017
LANDED..........
16 Mar 2017
bairn7 said:
Thanks

The ECA has classified my law degree as a Bachelors degree equivalent. The degree I have is the standard law degree in the UK to enter the legal profession. I don't understand whether this counts as a 'professional degree needed to practice a licensed profession' or not??
I can be wrong here, I think in Canada Law degrees are all "second degree". Meaning people will get their first bachelor degree (could be anything), then go to Law school and do their second degree (Law degree). The second one here is the professional degree or entry-to-practice degree.

Dentist D.M.D

Feb 8, 2015
Hi.. I checked the web site you posted... I am a dentist and I have a certificate of qualifications from the national dental examining board of canada after passing all the certification exams.... Is this important for gaining more points in EE?
in the website it is written under the Professional degree needed to practice in a licensed profession that:
" Federal Skilled Worker Program factor points (if this applies) 23 points"
What they are talking about? How can I get these 23 points (in addition to the 126 points that I already have)?
Thank you

fat_penguin

Star Member
Dec 5, 2014
bairn7 said:
Thanks

If they found the equivalent to be a Bachelor's Degree, then you are entitled to that... (120 points I believe)

bairn7

Feb 27, 2015
fat_penguin said:
If they found the equivalent to be a Bachelor's Degree, then you are entitled to that... (120 points I believe)
I don't believe it is correct though. I am a lawyer, I needed to study law to become a lawyer (as it is a licensed profession). Why is this not classified as a degree which is required for a licensed profession.

CIC website states that they only accept certain degrees as licensed professions (law is one - please see a few posts above).

On the basis of this, I think ECA have this wrong. Does anyone else agree?

APnil

Feb 14, 2017
I studied Bachelor of Physiotherapy in India, and am now in Canada, applying for Express Entry. This question has haunted me for last 2 months, since December 22, 2016 to be specific, and I have done lots and lots of research on it, and finally came to know that BPT graduates from India can't select "A professional degree needed to practice a licensed profession" under the level of education questions.

This forum doesn't allow me to post the links. So simply google, "Educational Credential Assessments - how to read your report".

Don't miss out to read where it say, "For Express Entry, we ONLY accept professional degrees in these fields:
medicine,
veterinary medicine,
dentistry,
podiatry,
optometry,
law,
chiropractic medicine, or
pharmacy."

This should help.

Que Em

Apr 14, 2016
LANDED..........
2017-07-17
bairn7 said:
I've asked in a separate thread about the interpretation of 'a professional degree needed to practice a licensed profession'. I have a law degree and I interpreted this phrase as encapsulating a law degree.

Others seem to think that because it is a foreign law degree, and I can't automatically practise law in Canada with that, it doesn't count.

Any lawyers/accountants etc have any thoughts on this? I need to know what to select in the qualifications section of my EE entry.

Thanks
For law, all these degree [formats] are considered 'professional degrees' and are awarded points accordingly.

• Bachelor of Laws
  • Juris Doctor
  • First professional university degree in law
  • First professional university degree in law, preceded by [x years] prerequisite undergraduate study

So you're good to go. You can claim points for a professional degree.
Link: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/eca-conversion.asp [Click on Professional degree part to expand and view the details for each].

Cheers!

Alexander80

Sep 10, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Que Em said:
For law, all these degree [formats] are considered 'professional degrees' and are awarded points accordingly.

• Bachelor of Laws
  • Juris Doctor
  • First professional university degree in law
  • First professional university degree in law, preceded by [x years] prerequisite undergraduate study

So you're good to go. You can claim points for a professional degree.
Link: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/eca-conversion.asp [Click on Professional degree part to expand and view the details for each].

Cheers!
I have been facing the same issue at Bairn7. Thanks for clarifying

Renevoen

Jan 7, 2016
bairn7 said:

Thanks

Go ahead and select professional degree

drazevedo

Apr 29, 2015
Dentist D.M.D said:
Hi.. I checked the web site you posted... I am a dentist and I have a certificate of qualifications from the national dental examining board of canada after passing all the certification exams.... Is this important for gaining more points in EE?
in the website it is written under the Professional degree needed to practice in a licensed profession that:
" Federal Skilled Worker Program factor points (if this applies) 23 points"
What they are talking about? How can I get these 23 points (in addition to the 126 points that I already have)?
Thank you
I am in the same situation and wonder. ::) I have got my dental license in Canada and would like to get some extra points for EE. Did someone figure out how a licensed dentist or any other regulated profession (not trade) can get extra points on the application? :)

spa13198

Jul 18, 2017
Hi
I am applying for PR. I have done dentistry from India. While filling the application form I came across a question. "What have you done so far to get this license or certificate? Mark all that apply"
I have got my license from India but need to study in Canada to get license. Can you guys suggest me which will be the best answer.
Thank you

Dhyom

Star Member
Dec 17, 2017
Hi everyone
Kindly guide me as I sent my following documents to WES- B.A, M.A (ENG.) and B.ED. Today I got the report where the recognized my B.A as 3 yrs degree, B.ed as 4 yrs degree and my M.A as 4 yrs degree too. Now what should I select while calculating my crs.
2 or more degrees, or Masters degree or a professional degree which needs licence?
I guess B.ed is professional degree and needs licence. Pls help.
Thanking in anticipation!