+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

A mother in dilemma

alka singh

Sep 8, 2009
Hi, I m a resident of India n a single mother with two kids, tentatively joining January2010 session in kitchener. I would like to know if i can bring my 7 n 4 yr old kid with me while on student visa n how to go about it.....is there any site where i can find out info as regards expenditure n living , as i would like to draw a financial feasibility comparison between getn my kids to Canada( if permitted) or leavn them back in India in a hostel.......

Soccer guy

Sep 8, 2009
u can surely take them with you, you would need to show cad$ 4000 per family member who will accompany you, you can confirm that from CIC website as well

alka singh

Sep 8, 2009
Thanks for d reply......i have few more queries ....i have heard children under 12 are not allowed to stay at home w/o supervision...now how to go about it ...will their education be free...wht will be the monthly expenditure approximately for their day care n all...i wish somebody could help me working out on al these aspects ......

daehder

Apr 24, 2009
Hi, it will be no problem to bring your children with you as long as you have enough money to support them and you. You will need to apply for Temporary Visitor Permits for them and you will need one as well, along with your Study Permit. Make sure when you file for your Study Permit you include the children's information.

You are right children in Canada are not allowed to stay by themselves under the age of 12. You should be able to put the children in a public school I would look into whether or not they require a Study Permit for this. The public school system here in Canada does not cost you anything, but you should check with the consulate about the permits for both the children. You will need to have quite a substantial sum of money to support yourself and the children though in Canada.

alka singh

Sep 8, 2009
Thanks Dear ,

could u plz gv me a rough estimate of the amount that i wil have to show n further need to support my family initaily, also what are d best day care options available there........financialy .......

alka singh

Sep 8, 2009
what are d chances of my Visa getting approved if i mention my willingness to bring kids in the application as a student....or rejection shud i say...what would be better ......to mention or not.......secondly.....how r d temp job prospects there......

Soccer guy

Sep 8, 2009
$10000 + your tuition fee + other university expenses would be your part & $4000 for each family member accompanying you, you would have to show very strong ties that you would be back after your studies, leaving your family & goin for studies is itself a tie but since you are taking you children as well with you, you have to satisfy that you would surely be back after you studies, check CSIC website find some registered consultants near you they are pretty expensive but only they can stand for you for your case in high commission, normally the ones i have met charge $1000 for study permit.

alka singh

Sep 8, 2009
Thanks.....so the better idea is to leave them behind for some time n then probably after few months try to get them with you....as u said other university expenses...aint these included in $10000 that u mentioned...n can u elaborate a lil more on these....

Soccer guy

Sep 8, 2009
$10,000 is ur living & other expenses it doesnot include university charges or fees, tuition fee is generally excluding other misc. fees like sports, students assoc, etc etc. well i guess the embassy wont let you leave behind ur kids back in ur country if they are very young, thas my idea but try to get sum experienced opinion on this

alka singh

Sep 8, 2009
hi guys,

finally got my offer letter in hand...now m in a state of utter confusion......whether to bring kids along or not...as " soccer guy" said , embassy might insist on...but then they are looked after here by grand parents n father, whereas me handling them alone in Canada w/o any help is going to b tuff...wish somebody cud throw some light on ths.....where to leave my young one during my working hrs.....confusion is d word.......lol.....

Help guys!

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
alka singh said:
hi guys,

finally got my offer letter in hand...now m in a state of utter confusion......whether to bring kids along or not...as " soccer guy" said , embassy might insist on...but then they are looked after here by grand parents n father, whereas me handling them alone in Canada w/o any help is going to b tuff...wish somebody cud throw some light on ths.....where to leave my young one during my working hrs.....confusion is d word.......lol.....

Help guys!
Your kids being left at your home country would be the best "ties" you can show the consulate that you intend to go back to your country after you're done with your studies. Just my opinion though.

alka singh

Sep 8, 2009
thanks........infact i too hve been thinkn on the same lines.......i was wondering abt the kind of questions that might pop out during visa interview.....probably d experienced lot can help.....n where is st james campus .....xact location...so that i can search on net....n probablity of getn a studio apartment on rent .....rentals? etc.......

seeking help from al ..........

alka singh

Sep 8, 2009
which residential area will be closest to St James Campus for Geirge Brown College and how much rental for a PG Accomodation?
Whats better- avail college facility of Airport pickup or cab from airport