+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

A dependent child of a permanent residence is pregnant after IME and before first landing at Ontario

Victory17

Dec 28, 2017
Will I be able to land (first landing after COPR) . I am a dependent child of a primary applicant and I have COPR . I am one month pregnant . I have done medicals too but I was not pregnant as at then. I am preganant to my to my boyfriend and I am wondering if I will be allowed to land with my preganancy.

Also, if I am allowed to land and settle down as PR, will my child also have PR status?

Urgent answer please . Thank you

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Did you live with your boyfriend for 12 months at any time?

A child born in Canada is Canadian. If it is born before you land, you will have to add it to the application before you land. If you don't correctly add the child to the application, you will never be able to sponsor it through family class.

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
Will I be able to land (first landing after COPR) . I am a dependent child of a primary applicant and I have COPR . I am one month pregnant . I have done medicals too but I was not pregnant as at then. I am preganant to my to my boyfriend and I am wondering if I will be allowed to land with my preganancy.

Also, if I am allowed to land and settle down as PR, will my child also have PR status?

Urgent answer please . Thank you
Yes. You can land while you are pregnant. My wife finished landing formalities when she was at 34 weeks.

If your child is born in Canada, then he/she will directly get citizenship of Canada.

Victory17

Dec 28, 2017
Did you live with your boyfriend for 12 months at any time?

A child born in Canada is Canadian. If it is born before you land, you will have to add it to the application before you land. If you don't correctly add the child to the application, you will never be able to sponsor it through family class.
Like I said , I am just one month preganant and I just obtained my COPR as a dependent child and I will be coming from Ghana as my first landing and the first time ever that I would be in Ontario. I just want to be sure that my pregnancy won't affect my landing and that my child would get PR status or citizenship too.

Will I ever be able to sponsor my boyfriend when we eventually get married. We both are in Ghana. Please I need sincere answers to plan my landing.. thank you for your answer on my previous question.

jordo

Apr 27, 2014
Regina, SK
I never lived with him for 12 months
OK. That is well for your application. IF you had lived with him for any period of 12 months you would have a status of Common Law married and wouldn't qualify as a dependent in your parent's application.

But as this situation doesn't apply to you then you are still a dependent and nothing in your family's application is currently amiss as long as you land in Canada with your COPR before the birth of the child.

Congratulations :)

As mentioned above, your child will automatically be a Canadian citizen when it is born in Canada. Your pregnancy has no impact on your landing, as long as you land before the birth. You should have no issue sponsoring the father of the child after you get married in the future.

The only potential issue is after you land:
You mentioned you are landing in Ontario. Is your family planning on living in Ontario? Be aware that there is a 3 month wait period to acquire Ontario healthcare. This will only impact you if you require any pre-natal services in the first 3 months after landing.

Last edited:

Victory17

Dec 28, 2017
OK. That is well for your application. IF you had lived with him for any period of 12 months you would have a status of Common Law married and wouldn't qualify as a dependent in your parent's application.

But as this situation doesn't apply to you then you are still a dependent and nothing in your family's application is currently amiss as long as you land in Canada with your COPR before the birth of the child.

Congratulations :)

As mentioned above, your child will automatically be a Canadian citizen when it is born in Canada. Your pregnancy has no impact on your landing, as long as you land before the birth. You should have no issue sponsoring the father of the child after you get married in the future.

The only potential issue is after you land:
You mentioned you are landing in Ontario. Is your family planning on living in Ontario? Be aware that there is a 3 month wait period to acquire Ontario healthcare. This will only impact you if you require any pre-natal services in the first 3 months after landing.
Thank you...
Yes, I am planning on living in Ontario with my father (principal applicant)who is presently there, as I am just a dependent child.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Like I said , I am just one month preganant and I just obtained my COPR as a dependent child and I will be coming from Ghana as my first landing and the first time ever that I would be in Ontario. I just want to be sure that my pregnancy won't affect my landing and that my child would get PR status or citizenship too.

Will I ever be able to sponsor my boyfriend when we eventually get married. We both are in Ghana. Please I need sincere answers to plan my landing.. thank you for your answer on my previous question.
The child will be a citizen if born in Canada. If born outside of Canada after you become a PR, you will have to sponsor the child for PR (you can only do that while living in Canada).

Note that Ontario has a three month waiting period before you'll be covered by the health care system. This means that you will have to pay for all medical check-ups, test, etc. during the first three months you are living in Canada. Make sure you arrive more than three months before you baby is born - if the baby is born during the first three months you're here, you will have to pay for the delivery as well (which is expensive).

Victory17

Dec 28, 2017
Thanks scylla.
The child will be a citizen if born in Canada. If born outside of Canada after you become a PR, you will have to sponsor the child for PR (you can only do that while living in Canada).

Note that Ontario has a three month waiting period before you'll be covered by the health care system. This means that you will have to pay for all medical check-ups, test, etc. during the first three months you are living in Canada. Make sure you arrive more than three months before you baby is born - if the baby is born during the first three months you're here, you will have to pay for the delivery as well (which is expensive).

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
One more thing - make sure you don't marry your boyfriend until AFTER you have landed and become a PR.

Once you are married, you will have to sponsor him for PR and you must be living in Canada while you do this. It's unlikely he will be given a TRV to visit you in Canada while this application is being processed and the processing of his application will likely take around a year. During this time, you can take a few short trips (2-3 weeks) to visit him - however you must spend most of your time in Canada or the sponsorship application will be refused.

Reactions: jordo