+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

A couple quick questions before mailing my app tomorrow

lakersgo

Sep 27, 2008
First, a little background about me:

F-1 International student in the US. Have qualified job experiences to apply under category 1 for federal skilled worker.

Here are my questions:

1) Do I need to fill out the "Additional Family Information (IMM5406E)" if I am not married and never been? I am applying just for myself, should I include my parents and brother's info?

2) How do you go about making a check in canadian dollar? Last time I asked my bank (washington mutual) for a fund verification letter, they only verified in US dollar, he PR appplication says it needs to be denominated in Canadian dollar, which actually brings up my 3rd question:

3) Is a fund verification letter denominated in Canadian dollar absolutely necessary? Someone told me that he has the letter in US dollar and it was fine. Just want an opinion on this.

4) Related to my first question. If I need to provide info on my parents and brother, do I need to include copy of their passports and birthcertificate as well?

5) Tomorrow, I plan to include 1) App for PR, 2) Schedule 3, 3)Background/declaration, 4) Add'l Family Info, in my package along with a check and 4 copy of photos. I might also include a cover letter. Am I missing anything else? Frankly, I am confused about what docs to mail to Sydney, NC, Canada. The instruction guide says not to include local documents listed in Appendix A, but clearly the forms are needed and so is the check and so are the photos. So can anyone give me a detail list of the documents needed to send to Sydney, NC, Canada.

6) anything else I should watch out for?

Thanks in advance. I want to get this thing done as quickly as possible.

black haired guy

Star Member
Dec 3, 2008
lakersgo said:
First, a little background about me:

F-1 International student in the US. Have qualified job experiences to apply under category 1 for federal skilled worker.

Here are my questions:

1) Do I need to fill out the "Additional Family Information (IMM5406E)" if I am not married and never been? I am applying just for myself, should I include my parents and brother's info?
Yes, you need to.

2) How do you go about making a check in canadian dollar? Last time I asked my bank (washington mutual) for a fund verification letter, they only verified in US dollar, he PR appplication says it needs to be denominated in Canadian dollar, which actually brings up my 3rd question:
You can pay in US $$$ ...465 i think.

3) Is a fund verification letter denominated in Canadian dollar absolutely necessary? Someone told me that he has the letter in US dollar and it was fine. Just want an opinion on this.
Its fine.
4) Related to my first question. If I need to provide info on my parents and brother, do I need to include copy of their passports and birthcertificate as well?
NO

lakersgo

Sep 27, 2008
Ok, I just asked my bank to issue a check for 550 canadian dollar. Their response was "we only do US dollar". So I do a bit of research and it looks like canadian immigration office has set fees paid in US dollar, which is $465 US dollars for skilled worker app. So I assume I just ask my bank to issue a check of $465 payable to "receiver general for canada" and be done with it. Does this sound right?

ahmed_ca

Dec 6, 2008
no need for photos

here is a copy of what is written in the applications' guide

"All applicants must submit photos with their application except for applicants using Category 1."

please provide the link where it says that you can pay in US dollars ,,, because it is clearly written in their guide that the payment is only in Canadian funds

and here is a copy of what is written the applications' guide

"In Canadian funds only, you may pay by certified cheque, bank draft or money order made payable to the “Receiver General for Canada.” Do not enclose cash."

lakersgo

Sep 27, 2008
PMM said:
Hi

rupeshhari said:
can you do money order in canadian dollars in the US?
Yes, pretty well any bank will sell you one.

PMM
Name 3 banks that will do. I know for sure WAMU doesn't.

Turns out this site has the info on payment in US dollar: http://geo.international.gc.ca/can-am/main/visas/fee_schedule_us_dollars-en.asp

That answers my own question.