+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

50 points for valid job offer. Can we get LMIA on PGWP?

mehtameet12

Aug 22, 2019
Hi, I have a 2 Year diploma and I'm currently working in a NOC level B Job on Post-graduation Work Permit. On the CIC website I read that we can (being on a PGWP) claim 50 points for a valid job offer if my job needs one.
However, my job is exempt from needing a LMIA number but I do want it in order to gain 50 points which in turn will boost my score.
My query is can I ask my employer to give me LMIA number right now or I had to ask it before applying for a PGWP? Is it too late ?
Please advise.
Thank you
PS. The employer is ready to provide any documentation needed (including LMIA)

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi, I have a 2 Year diploma and I'm currently working in a NOC level B Job on Post-graduation Work Permit. On the CIC website I read that we can (being on a PGWP) claim 50 points for a valid job offer if my job needs one.
However, my job is exempt from needing a LMIA number but I do want it in order to gain 50 points which in turn will boost my score.
My query is can I ask my employer to give me LMIA number right now or I had to ask it before applying for a PGWP? Is it too late ?
Please advise.
Thank you
PS. The employer is ready to provide any documentation needed (including LMIA)
You have an open work permit that allows you to work without an LMIA. That does not make your job LMIA exempt.

Your employer can apply for an LMIA. The process has strict requirements, takes many months and costs $1000.

mehtameet12

Aug 22, 2019
You have an open work permit that allows you to work without an LMIA. That does not make your job LMIA exempt.

Your employer can apply for an LMIA. The process has strict requirements, takes many months and costs $1000.

Thank you for the reply, but my job is listed kn the list of 'jobs exempt from LMIA' so I technically don't need one. But I do need it in order to gain 50 points in CRS.
Thanks again for the reply. It's relieving to know, I can still show LMIA on PGWP.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thank you for the reply, but my job is listed kn the list of 'jobs exempt from LMIA' so I technically don't need one. But I do need it in order to gain 50 points in CRS.
Thanks again for the reply. It's relieving to know, I can still show LMIA on PGWP.
What is your job?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I am working as a Mechanical Designer at a Window Wall Company. You can say my job title is Mechanical Design Technician.
You need an approved LMIA to get the 50 points. I would ask your employer now rather than waiting.

mehtameet12

Aug 22, 2019
You need an approved LMIA to get the 50 points. I would ask your employer now rather than waiting.
Thank You for prompt reply!

Do you know by any chance how long does the LMIA process takes? I've been working with my employer since last Deecember so its not been 1 year yet.

Sorry, I do know I’ve asked this earlier but just to confirm, being on a PGWP I can claim the 50 points for job offer once I get LMIA number right?

PS. Those 50 points are critical for my CRS score.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank You for prompt reply!

Do you know by any chance how long does the LMIA process takes? I've been working with my employer since last Deecember so its not been 1 year yet.

Sorry, I do know I’ve asked this earlier but just to confirm, being on a PGWP I can claim the 50 points for job offer once I get LMIA number right?

PS. Those 50 points are critical for my CRS score.
Typically 4-6 months end to end for an approved LMIA. The employer has to start by advertising the role for at least one month to prove no Canadian could be found for the role. Note that approval is certainly far from guaranteed.

Yes - you can claim the 50 points once the LMIA is approved.

mehtameet12

Aug 22, 2019
Typically 4-6 months end to end for an approved LMIA. The employer has to start by advertising the role for at least one month to prove no Canadian could be found for the role. Note that approval is certainly far from guaranteed.

Yes - you can claim the 50 points once the LMIA is approved.
Thanks a lot! You were a Great Help!