+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

5 YEARS OF PROFESSIONAL STUDIES

Yeli

Jun 21, 2019
Hi, all
A few weeks ago I sent a question regarding my WES results, they were FIVE YEARS OF PROFESSIONAL STUDY IN VETERINARY MEDICINE.
I sent an inquiry letter because I don't understand the meaning of this result, and most important, what this result allows me to do in Canada, and I just recieved this answer:
"Because veterinary medicine - medicine is not offered as a first (bachelor’s) university degree in Canada, WES cannot recommend a bachelor’s degree equivalency. The institution receiving your evaluation report will determine if the program you completed meets their requirements for admission."
My inquiry was not answered fully, because the second part remains unanswered:
What does this result allow me to do in Canada?
Because the main question and what is most important: I don't know if this equivalency is more or less than Bachelor's Degree.
Does this equivalency worth anything here in Canada?
Because with that answer, I will know if I can study a Masters Degree in Education to teach in the Vet Technician studies or if I can work as a Vet Technician or Assistant, for example.
This is still very confusing.
DOES ANYBODY KNOW ANY OF THIS?
Thank you in advance.

Yeli

Jun 21, 2019
I believe WES is not responsible for your degree equivalency just like MBBS which is checked by Medical Council of Canada for equivalency.
Check out this website and contact them for equivalency information https://www.canadianveterinarians.net/
Thanks, called and they gave me another number, leave a message and will see if this has any worth, if not, will ask for a refund because basically, sort of means nothing according to the canadian academic degrees.

Reactions: andygill11

andygill11

May 5, 2018
Thanks, called and they gave me another number, leave a message and will see if this has any worth, if not, will ask for a refund because basically, sort of means nothing according to the canadian academic degrees.
Did you apply to WES for ECA because of your PR Application?

If not, then you need to pass 3 board exams before you are eligible to get a practicing license in any province. To quote "A graduate of a non-accredited veterinary school is required to complete all 3 parts of the National Examining Board (NEB) examination sequence in order to receive a Certificate of Qualification (CQ). A CQ is a prerequisite to apply for a license from any of the 10 provincial veterinary licensing boards in Canada."
Source: https://www.canadianveterinarians.net/resources/examining-board-summary

Yeli

Jun 21, 2019

If not, then you need to pass 3 board exams before you are eligible to get a practicing license in any province. To quote "A graduate of a non-accredited veterinary school is required to complete all 3 parts of the National Examining Board (NEB) examination sequence in order to receive a Certificate of Qualification (CQ). A CQ is a prerequisite to apply for a license from any of the 10 provincial veterinary licensing boards in Canada."
I did this WES thing mostly to see if I can have a Bachelor's degree and then study a Master's to teach in a college for Vet technicians or assistants, because I don't want to do all over again to be a Veterinarian. Even more, here they don't have specializations or divisions between small animals, farm animals, wildlife, etc; is just one doctor doing it all. And where I come from, we start with elective areas whem you are studying and then specializations after graduation; I am specialized in Emergencies and ICU in small animals, so as you can see, farm and wildlife weren't part of my work for many years!
So the WES procedure was done to see where I am standing academically in Canada.
But felt like was for nothing (?)

dotslash227

Champion Member
Apr 28, 2019
Degrees in Medicine, Vet Medicine, Pharmacy, Law, Optometry, Dentistry, Chiropractic are evaluated as "Professional degrees in .........." by WES and other agencies.

If you are applying for PR, with this equivalency, you will get points that are equal to of Masters [Yes, even with a a Bachelor's].

If you intend to go for higher studies, you certainly can, with this equivalency.

PS : I have 4 years of professional study in Optometry equivalency from WES

Reactions: Yeli

Yeli

Jun 21, 2019
Degrees in Medicine, Vet Medicine, Pharmacy, Law, Optometry, Dentistry, Chiropractic are evaluated as "Professional degrees in .........." by WES and other agencies.

If you are applying for PR, with this equivalency, you will get points that are equal to of Masters [Yes, even with a a Bachelor's].

If you intend to go for higher studies, you certainly can, with this equivalency.

Mmh....UBC (University of British Columbia) doesn't accept WES documents lol. Also not Simon Fraser University, called both :(
They said they need my University Documents but not the WES because they don't accept them.
I have no idea if this paperwork has any worth.

dotslash227

Champion Member
Apr 28, 2019
Mmh....UBC (University of British Columbia) doesn't accept WES documents lol. Also not Simon Fraser University, called both :(
They said they need my University Documents but not the WES because they don't accept them.
I have no idea if this paperwork has any worth.
See, every university has it's own application procedure. In WES, there are two types of evaluations:
1. ECA (for immigration)
2. Course by Course / Document by Document for Education/Employment

If your evaluation is ECA, it will not be accepted by any university, because, it is meant for immigration.

Now, coming to the second type of WES evaluation, some universities accept WES evaluation and some do not, you will need to check with the institution and apply accordingly. UBC and SFU, are asking for university transcripts [which WES also asks btw], it means, they do evaluations and equivalencies on their own and do not involve third-party agencies, which is their choice. For example, In Optometry, FORAC [governing body for Optometry in Canada] asks Course by Course evaluation through WES if we want to practice or pursue higher studies in Canada. For other professions, things might be different, and will need to checked for each institution.

Reactions: Yeli

Yeli

Jun 21, 2019
See, every university has it's own application procedure. In WES, there are two types of evaluations:
1. ECA (for immigration)
2. Course by Course / Document by Document for Education/Employment

If your evaluation is ECA, it will not be accepted by any university, because, it is meant for immigration.

Now, coming to the second type of WES evaluation, some universities accept WES evaluation and some do not, you will need to check with the institution and apply accordingly. UBC and SFU, are asking for university transcripts [which WES also asks btw], it means, they do evaluations and equivalencies on their own and do not involve third-party agencies, which is their choice. For example, In Optometry, FORAC [governing body for Optometry in Canada] asks Course by Course evaluation through WES if we want to practice or pursue higher studies in Canada. For other professions, things might be different, and will need to checked for each institution.
Actually, I did the course by course because thought would be better.
Not for immigration purposes but for studies/work.
I'm in the fence here.
I have no idea if this paperwork has any use or not.
What do you think?
Thanks

dotslash227

Champion Member
Apr 28, 2019
Actually, I did the course by course because thought would be better.
Not for immigration purposes but for studies/work.
I'm in the fence here.
I have no idea if this paperwork has any use or not.
What do you think?
Thanks
Depends on the university/company, where you want to apply to. If they accept WES, then this document should be good, otherwise you'll have to follow what the university wants.

You should have checked with the university for their requirements and see if you needed a WES evaluation or not.

Yeli

Jun 21, 2019
Depends on the university/company, where you want to apply to. If they accept WES, then this document should be good, otherwise you'll have to follow what the university wants.

You should have checked with the university for their requirements and see if you needed a WES evaluation or not.
I was in Toronto at that time so....everything changes.
Anyway, will see if this has any value at all.
Thanks

Ats

Aug 27, 2019
NOC Code......

I have done intermediate high school 2008-2011 (due to back 1yr extra)

In 2009 i joined diploma in optometry after that

I have done diploma in optometry 2009-2011 and bachelor in clinical optometry (lateral entry to third year) 2012-2014,my question? is, my degree come under 4 yr bachelor degree under wes ECA,is better apply under express entry... Please guide very confusion.

J1234

Sep 21, 2017

J1234

Sep 21, 2017
@dotslash227

I completed my Four year bachelor degree in Optometry. My IQAS ECA is termed as

"Four Year Bachelor of Science degree with a focus in Optometry"

What does it mean ? Which level I select in Express Entry profile?

Is it bachelor or Professsional Degree Please guide.

I got mixed versions from different peoples. Please give your insights with official links.

Vinshr

Dec 14, 2020

I have BDS + PGDM from India but WES gave me an equivalency for 'Five years of professional study in dentistry'. However, I do not intend to practice. Even after dentistry and after my post-graduation I have been working as a healthcare marketing manager.
Will I need a license to practice in dentistry before I can apply for PR in Canada because of this equivalency ?As I do not intend to practice anymore and will applying under a different NOC.