+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

4 Year Open Work Permit through CCIC registered Consultant

hammadali

Feb 7, 2023
Hey, I've a situation - I took services of a registered CCIC consultant; I had verified his license and credentials through the official website. The consultant is applying for a 4 year open work permit and has proceeded with the application submission. Now he has shared a letter IMM 5478E (30-2023) which states that as a TFW I need to undertake health insurance by paying a lump sum surcharge of cad$ 3781.22. IRCC's official guidelines state that health insurance is recommended but not mandatory for TFW. I'm curious as to whether this is a genuine application he has lodged or not?

Some points to note: the application fee payable to IRCC for the work permit was said to be $485 (USD) - when I use the application tracker feature to register, it says incorrect UCI or application number or that I may have used a representative to apply so I should refer to the authority to release information form - and lastly some of these forms do not match the forms available in the IRCC's repository online. I did receive an IMM5739E form confirming receipt of application which widely matches the searches online. I've not received any emails directly from IRCC although the consultant's emails received by cic mentions my email at the bottom saying any correspondence received in account has a notification which is sent to this email address as well.

Looking for expert opinion on this, thanks!

Reactions: Daudserar

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Hey, I've a situation - I took services of a registered CCIC consultant; I had verified his license and credentials through the official website. The consultant is applying for a 4 year open work permit and has proceeded with the application submission. Now he has shared a letter IMM 5478E (30-2023) which states that as a TFW I need to undertake health insurance by paying a lump sum surcharge of cad$ 3781.22. IRCC's official guidelines state that health insurance is recommended but not mandatory for TFW. I'm curious as to whether this is a genuine application he has lodged or not?

Some points to note: the application fee payable to IRCC for the work permit was said to be $485 (USD) - when I use the application tracker feature to register, it says incorrect UCI or application number or that I may have used a representative to apply so I should refer to the authority to release information form - and lastly some of these forms do not match the forms available in the IRCC's repository online. I did receive an IMM5739E form confirming receipt of application which widely matches the searches online. I've not received any emails directly from IRCC although the consultant's emails received by cic mentions my email at the bottom saying any correspondence received in account has a notification which is sent to this email address as well.

Looking for expert opinion on this, thanks!
Why would the Government of Canada (IRCC) request a payment, this being USD $485.00 in a foreign currency ? That would be the first thing that should cause you to raise your eye brow. The official currency is CAD- Canadian Dollar. Not the American Dollar.

hammadali

Feb 7, 2023
Why would the Government of Canada (IRCC) request a payment, this being USD $485.00 in a foreign currency ? That would be the first thing that should cause you to raise your eye brow
Yes agreed, I am of the view that this may be an overcharge of services too from the Consultant's end - the open work permit fee tho is $155 or so I believe. If it's a CCIC registered person as checked duly, should I formally lodge a complaint as this could be a deceiving mechanism hurting people in general. I had declined to pay altogether so gladly I'm safe.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Yes agreed, I am of the view that this may be an overcharge of services too from the Consultant's end - the open work permit fee tho is $155 or so I believe. If it's a CCIC registered person as checked duly, should I formally lodge a complaint as this could be a deceiving mechanism hurting people in general. I had declined to pay altogether so gladly I'm safe.
How are you even eligible for an open work permit. Also why would you pay for health insurance. File a complaint.

Reactions: hammadali

hammadali

Feb 7, 2023
How are you even eligible for an open work permit. Also why would you pay for health insurance. File a complaint.
Yes that was another concern I had discussed with him. Per all the official guidelines, TFW are not eligible for open work permits unless they're dependants in nature and even then there are some conditions imposed such as occupation, employer or location. But thank you, I shall be reporting this to CICC.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes that was another concern I had discussed with him. Per all the official guidelines, TFW are not eligible for open work permits unless they're dependants in nature and even then there are some conditions imposed such as occupation, employer or location. But thank you, I shall be reporting this to CICC.
If you haven’t already guessed report this person and move on to another consultant. You actually don’t need a consultant or lawyer to apply for any permit/visa or PR. You can apply on your own as long as you have the time and can do a bit of research. Is this consultant located in Canada? Did you already receive an Approved WP based on previous posts?