+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

4-year bachelor + 8-month master: eligible for 3-year PGWP?

songweihaobb

Apr 29, 2017
Hey guys! :)

I'm an international students who came to Canada in 2012.

I recently just completed a 4-year bachelor degree at U of T and got admitted to an 8-month master program still at U of T. Anyone has any idea whether I'm eligible for the 3-year PGWP after this master program? Not quite sure about this since apparently "You must apply for a work permit within 90 days of receiving written confirmation from your institution of study" and "If the official length of your program of study is less than two years but more than eight months, you may get a work permit for a period no longer than the length of your program of study".

Thanks in advance for your consideration!

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Others can comment but looking at the guidelines it specifically implies that any follow course needs to be at least 1 year in length not 8 months so personally not really sure whether the risk might be too great to assume a 3 year PGWP if read literally.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/students/post-grad.asp

Quote from the validity section

If a student obtained a one-year degree, diploma or certificate from an eligible institution in Canada after having obtained, within the prior two years, another degree, diploma or certificate from an eligible institution in Canada, the duration of the work permit may be up to three years.

Winnie99

Apr 12, 2017
Hi,

Can you please advise if I apply for a 8-month Pre-MBA (Sep-Apr) and a 1-year MBA August intake) how many years of PGWP could I get?

I am applying for Wilfid Laurier University. I am so confused!

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Winnie99 said:
Hi,

Can you please advise if I apply for a 8-month Pre-MBA (Sep-Apr) and a 1-year MBA August intake) how many years of PGWP could I get?

I am applying for Wilfid Laurier University. I am so confused!
you mean running concurrently or fall 2017 then fall 2018 .

Winnie99

Apr 12, 2017
Hi Bs65,

Do you have any experience similar to my case as stated?

Also, I found CIC mentioned that: in Transfers between educational institutions section

"Example 3: A student completes a program of study at a DLI and transfers the credits earned to another DLI (or transfers the credits earned from a previous program to the same DLI). In this scenario, if the student submits a letter of acceptance indicating that the credits earned in the first program are accepted toward completing the subsequent program, officers should consider all credits from both programs that contribute toward completing the subsequent program when determining post-graduation work permit eligibility and length."

For my case, the Pre-MBA course has no degree. But it is stated that by completing the program successfully (meeting their criteria), students would be accepted to the MBA program.

Thank you in advance.

sababx

Feb 15, 2017
Calgary
Visa Office......
Canada
NOC Code......
Winnie99 said:
Hi Bs65,

Do you have any experience similar to my case as stated?

Also, I found CIC mentioned that: in Transfers between educational institutions section

"Example 3: A student completes a program of study at a DLI and transfers the credits earned to another DLI (or transfers the credits earned from a previous program to the same DLI). In this scenario, if the student submits a letter of acceptance indicating that the credits earned in the first program are accepted toward completing the subsequent program, officers should consider all credits from both programs that contribute toward completing the subsequent program when determining post-graduation work permit eligibility and length."

For my case, the Pre-MBA course has no degree. But it is stated that by completing the program successfully (meeting their criteria), students would be accepted to the MBA program.

Thank you in advance.
I did my PRE MBA and them MBA in 2 years and got my PGWP valid for 3 years. You should be fine

Winnie99

Apr 12, 2017
Hi sababx,

Thanks much for your reply.

May I know if you studied in Laurier as well?

How was the program?

Thank you.

sababx

Feb 15, 2017
Calgary
Visa Office......
Canada
NOC Code......
Winnie99 said:
Hi sababx,

Thanks much for your reply.

May I know if you studied in Laurier as well?

How was the program?

Thank you.
Hi. No I studied in Thompson Rivers University

Winnie99

Apr 12, 2017
Hi Sababx,

Thank you for your reply. Could you please advise me some further information:
- Was your Pre-MBA credit or non-credit program?
- How did you fill in the study program information when submit application for PGWP?
- Was it very challenging to find a job right after graduation?

Thanks much in advance.