+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

3142: Physiotherapy Express Entry Process STATUS Discussions

hkahloon

Oct 24, 2019
No. We need to get an ECA from one of the 5 approved credentialing bodies - most popular is through WES.

According to the CICIC website, we would need an ECA to apply as physiotherapist under Express Entry - FSW.
AND we would need another application on CAPR for us to get a license to practice as a physiotherapist.

Where are you now in the process?
I actually still haven’t started it yet. So here is my situation I am getting my masters in physiotherapy as well but I also have a year experience as a lecturer of physiotherapy and I am still employed. I wanna be a teacher and I am not planing on practicing physiotherapy. I don’t know if I should make my profile with the bachelors degree and one year experience or should I wait until I get my masters and will have 2 year experience. How far along are you in the process ?

eept

Star Member
Oct 28, 2019
I actually still haven’t started it yet. So here is my situation I am getting my masters in physiotherapy as well but I also have a year experience as a lecturer of physiotherapy and I am still employed. I wanna be a teacher and I am not planing on practicing physiotherapy. I don’t know if I should make my profile with the bachelors degree and one year experience or should I wait until I get my masters and will have 2 year experience. How far along are you in the process ?
Hi there buddy! Very seldom you'll see PTs here in the forum. I think I was in a similar position as you are right now. I hope you are in your early or mid-20s, so you could gain 3 years of foreign experience before reaching 30. Master's degree plus 3 years of experience and a very good IELTS score would most likely fetch you an ITA in the next FSW draw. You certainly can use your work experience while you are taking your Master's degree.

hkahloon

Oct 24, 2019
Hi hkahloon,

I am also in the same boat as you! I am still in the early stages, but these are the things that I learned so far:

For EE, you need your educational credentials to be evaluated by WES (which is faster than the CAPR) - this would give you Bachelors equivalency if you had your PT in Bachelors degree as entry level. If you have higher studies, this could potentially boost your CRS score. You will only use WES (or other approved agencies) for your EE profile.

As PT is a regulated profession in Canada, you need to apply for licensure.
Concurrently, you need to have your education assessed by CAPR (a must for licensure). This would take about 3-4 months to complete once they received all the requirements. You would need to take additional course (1-2 months) regarding Canadian healthcare system, and you would need to take TOEFL or IELTS Academic Module (overall score of 7 is required) as additional requirements. EE requires IELTS GT only, so your would need to take IELTS at least twice (A / GT). This would give you the eligibility to take the PCE, if quailfied (written, then practical exam). It is a long process to be a PT in Canada, but generally, it is doable.

If you qualify for express entry, I would assume you could come to Canada and work as a PTA temporarily (depending on the province), while working on your PT license (taking the PCE - as it is only offered a few times in a year).

For other PTs out there, please share your experiences.
Hello! Have you successfully completed you application boss?

hkahloon

Oct 24, 2019
Have you successfully filed your application ?

Anjas

Jun 21, 2023
Hi, I got my ECA report from CAPR, but it only has process id and client id as two references. I'm not sure what to fill out as my ECA number in Express entry report. I don't have any number with suffix IMM given on my report. Pls tell me what should I do?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi, I got my ECA report from CAPR, but it only has process id and client id as two references. I'm not sure what to fill out as my ECA number in Express entry report. I don't have any number with suffix IMM given on my report. Pls tell me what should I do?
What is CAPR? You need ECA from of the 5 recognized groups unless a physician or pharmacist.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/documents/education-assessed/how.html

Anjas

Jun 21, 2023
I was a physiotherapist in India, so to work here in Canada. I had to get my ECA from CAPR ( Canadian Alliance of Physiotherapy Regulance).

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I was a physiotherapist in India, so to work here in Canada. I had to get my ECA from CAPR ( Canadian Alliance of Physiotherapy Regulance).
Who told you that? Licensing for your field is totally different than Express Entry requirements. Did WES do your ECA? See the info from the CPAR site. CAPR has nothing to do with EE ECA. You need an ECA from the link I provided above.

I have not yet applied to either the FSWP or the Canadian Alliance of Physiotherapy Regulators (CAPR). Which should I do first?

You can apply for your credentialling assessment with CAPR before, during or after your FSWP assessment. It is up to you to decide which is best for your situation. We cannot advise you regarding what to do with respect to the FSWP. It is an immigration process that is entirely independent from the credential assessment done by CAPR.

I have already had my education assessed as part of the FSWP. Do I still need to have my credentials assessed by CAPR?

Yes, the education assessment done for the FSWP only reviewed some of your physiotherapy qualifications. CAPR continues the assessment to determine whether or not your education is substantially different from that of a Canadian-educated physiotherapist to determine whether or not you are eligible to sit the Physiotherapy Competency Exam.

I have already had my education assessed as part of the FSWP. Can I register for the Physiotherapy Competency Exam?

No, you will first need to complete CAPR’s Educational Credential and Qualifications Assessment. Please see the above question.

I have already had my education assessed as part of the FSWP. Can the results be used by CAPR? Will this speed up the process?

If your education has been assessed by WES, ICAS or IQAS for an FSWP application, we may be able to accept a copy of their assessment report and a verified copy of your official transcripts if they were sent directly from your university to WES, ICAS or IQAS. We will not accept copies from you, the applicant. Any costs that WES or ICAS or IQAS may charge are your responsibility. In some cases, it is possible that this may shorten the amount of time to gather and process all the necessary documents for your CAPR file, however there is no guarantee that this will shorten your overall assessment timeline. If you make these arrangements it may save you from paying for a second set of transcripts from your university, however we cannot guarantee that a copy of your transcripts from WES, ICAS or IQAS will be sufficient. If we determine that your file requires additional research, then you will be required to arrange for a copy of your transcripts to be sent to our office directly from your university

Taran D

VIP Member
Oct 1, 2020
There are 2 types of assessment. The one for immigration is entirely different from the one from specialized body. Both of them have different process and purpose. So one has to decide which assessment they want and go with specific process. Most specialized ECA like health and medical needs one to clear the exam.