AOR Received.
02-09-2013
Med's Request
09/05/2014
Med's Done....
21/05/2014
LANDED..........
Not yet
I got invited to apply for PGP 2024. I have a problem, though. Even though I meet the criteria for sponsoring both parents, I want to sponsor only my mother. On paper, both parents are still married but have been living separately for 20 years. Due to cultural and religious norms, my mother is hesitant to get a separation, and I have had this discussion many times before to no avail. My father is the least bit interested in moving and has not renewed his passport for over 10 years.

Whilst filling out the forms online (IMM 0008), I initiated the application by adding my mother as the principal applicant and included my father's details under spouse. If under IMM 5768, Question 3, I am to enter "1," would that automatically mean I am sponsoring only one parent?

I would appreciate any response to this as the whole situation is making me anxious. To add some context, my mother already has a supervisa, and when applying for it, I had applied for both parents. My father never did the medicals even after the request was extended three times, and in the end, IRCC requested my mother's passport only. I am assuming a similar response for PGP 2024 as well. Thank you in advance, everyone, for your valuable feedback.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
I got invited to apply for PGP 2024. I have a problem, though. Even though I meet the criteria for sponsoring both parents, I want to sponsor only my mother. On paper, both parents are still married but have been living separately for 20 years. Due to cultural and religious norms, my mother is hesitant to get a separation, and I have had this discussion many times before to no avail. My father is the least bit interested in moving and has not renewed his passport for over 10 years.

Whilst filling out the forms online (IMM 0008), I initiated the application by adding my mother as the principal applicant and included my father's details under spouse. If under IMM 5768, Question 3, I am to enter "1," would that automatically mean I am sponsoring only one parent?

I would appreciate any response to this as the whole situation is making me anxious. To add some context, my mother already has a supervisa, and when applying for it, I had applied for both parents. My father never did the medicals even after the request was extended three times, and in the end, IRCC requested my mother's passport only. I am assuming a similar response for PGP 2024 as well. Thank you in advance, everyone, for your valuable feedback.
I think there is somewhere to list your dad as non-accompanying dependent. (Not familiar with current forms) Also he will need to pass medical, background and police check for your mother's application to be approved.

MH_UK

Nov 2, 2012
Australia
Category........
Visa Office......
LVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-06-2013
AOR Received.
02-09-2013
Med's Request
09/05/2014
Med's Done....
21/05/2014
LANDED..........
Not yet
I think there is somewhere to list your dad as non-accompanying dependent. (Not familiar with current forms) Also he will need to pass medical, background and police check for your mother's application to be approved.
Thanks for the response. Would it be an automatic rejection if my father wont provide the medicals by the deadline?

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Thanks for the response. Would it be an automatic rejection if my father wont provide the medicals by the deadline?
They won't reject right away but they will continue to request it and if you cannot provide that, your mom's PR application cannot proceed.

Reactions: MH_UK

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015

In addition to the other suggestion, I'd say include your parents as separated. Just provide a letter of explanation they've been living separately for decades even though not legally divorced because cultural norms.

Reactions: YVR123

MH_UK

Nov 2, 2012
Australia
Category........
Visa Office......
LVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-06-2013
AOR Received.
02-09-2013
Med's Request
09/05/2014
Med's Done....
21/05/2014
LANDED..........
Not yet
In addition to the other suggestion, I'd say include your parents as separated. Just provide a letter of explanation they've been living separately for decades even though not legally divorced because cultural norms.
I am considering attaching a supporting letter explaining the entire scenario. I can provide information showing that, in the past 10 years, my mother has traveled alone to visit me and my other sibling abroad. Additionally, I can include details related to the Supervisa application where my father was asked to provide medicals three times but did not proceed with them. At the same time, I am puzzled as to why they would prefer both parents instead of just one, especially since sponsoring only one parent would be less of a strain on the system.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I am considering attaching a supporting letter explaining the entire scenario. I can provide information showing that, in the past 10 years, my mother has traveled alone to visit me and my other sibling abroad. Additionally, I can include details related to the Supervisa application where my father was asked to provide medicals three times but did not proceed with them. At the same time, I am puzzled as to why they would prefer both parents instead of just one, especially since sponsoring only one parent would be less of a strain on the system.
I would put the emphasis on demonstrating that they have separate addresses and have lived apart for many years. That shows they are separated. If you can also get, depending on country, affidavits from them that they are separated, and/or from family members or others who can attest they are separated, that would support.

It's not that they 'prefer' two parents. It is that one parent being admitted without the other being examined creates risk the one will later claim that their spouse must be admitted , despite, for example, having health conditions or other aspects that make them inadmissible.

Even if IRCC can deny the application, they then face the usual press and media complaints that govt is keeping people apart and being unfair, pls make an exception, etc.

I point this out as from their perspective.

MH_UK

Nov 2, 2012
Australia
Category........
Visa Office......
LVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-06-2013
AOR Received.
02-09-2013
Med's Request
09/05/2014
Med's Done....
21/05/2014
LANDED..........
Not yet
I would put the emphasis on demonstrating that they have separate addresses and have lived apart for many years. That shows they are separated. If you can also get, depending on country, affidavits from them that they are separated, and/or from family members or others who can attest they are separated, that would support.

It's not that they 'prefer' two parents. It is that one parent being admitted without the other being examined creates risk the one will later claim that their spouse must be admitted , despite, for example, having health conditions or other aspects that make them inadmissible.

Even if IRCC can deny the application, they then face the usual press and media complaints that govt is keeping people apart and being unfair, pls make an exception, etc.

I point this out as from their perspective.
Thank you for the valuable response. Adding insult to injury, they both live in the same paternal house but in different rooms. My father's siblings fully support my mother in this awkward scenario and might be willing to sign affidavits to this effect.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thank you for the valuable response. Adding insult to injury, they both live in the same paternal house but in different rooms. My father's siblings fully support my mother in this awkward scenario and might be willing to sign affidavits to this effect.
Your parents are NOT living separately, and hence are not separated. I would encourage you NOT to pursue this route; IRCC will not believe they are separated because they are not. Do not convince your siblings or anyone else to attest that they are separated - it is not true and will cause problems.

Simple fact: you will have to deal with this as a family. Include your father - I believe you can include him as non-accompanying*, meaning he will not be given a visa, but he WILL have to cooperate and undergo medicals, and biometric.

*Would appreciate if others could confirm, I'm not that well-versed on the PGP details.

Reactions: YVR123 and scylla

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Include your father in the application as a non accompanying dependent. I really think you have no choice in the matter. You're not going to be able to convince IRCC they are separated if they are still living in the same house.

Your father will have to complete the medical for your mother to be approved. It is definitely not the same as a super visa. Your mother's PR visa will not be approved unless he completes and passes the medical.

Reactions: YVR123 and armoured

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
I don't have anything new to add. But just to echo on others, your parents are not separated since they live in the same house. They are not in a good relationship but they are still living under the same roof. So try to add your father as non-accompanying and try very hard with help of your father's siblings to convince him to go through with the medical and provide PCC.

MH_UK

Nov 2, 2012
Australia
Category........
Visa Office......
LVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-06-2013
AOR Received.
02-09-2013
Med's Request
09/05/2014
Med's Done....
21/05/2014
LANDED..........
Not yet
I appreciate all the feedback and helpful guidance. I am in a difficult situation where the mere thought of my mother separating from my father triggers her societal embarrassment, as she wonders why she should do this in her 70s. Unfortunately, in the part of the world where she resides, separation is frowned upon, which complicates the situation further.

My question to the expert is: what if I were to prepare two signed statutory declarations? One would be from me, stating that I would not submit a sponsorship application for my father in the future, and the other would be from my mother, declaring that she would not sponsor my father/partner under any circumstances. What are your thoughts on this?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I appreciate all the feedback and helpful guidance. I am in a difficult situation where the mere thought of my mother separating from my father triggers her societal embarrassment, as she wonders why she should do this in her 70s. Unfortunately, in the part of the world where she resides, separation is frowned upon, which complicates the situation further.

My question to the expert is: what if I were to prepare two signed statutory declarations? One would be from me, stating that I would not submit a sponsorship application for my father in the future, and the other would be from my mother, declaring that she would not sponsor my father/partner under any circumstances. What are your thoughts on this?
IMO this won't work since they are living together and he will be classified as a dependent. This is a complex and very unusual situation. You are in lawyer territory at this point.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
This is fraught with risk and likely going to result in serious delays or even refusal.

They reside at the same physical address. Surely there is enough communication that she can ask him to submit to biometric and medical examination, plus a few forms? To be clear, this would be to include him as a NON-ACCOMPANYING family member. It does not oblige you to sponsor him.

To put this somewhat differently: you and your mother have the choice of dealing with this as a communications issue within an (extended) family where you come to an agreement with her (former?) spouse, OR get divorced.