+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

2024 Common law sponsorship

Ers0992

May 23, 2015
Can someone help me with my situation? My boyfriend and I began living together somewhere between March and July of 2023 but I just changed my address in November of 2023. We opened a joint bank account in June 2024 and he has included me on his house insurance in June 2024 as well. We also started a fertility journey in sept 2023.
Would this be enough evidence that we can apply for common law sponsorship before November 2024?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
With all this, why not get married and be certain you won't have issues with the common law proofs?

That sad, if you insist - it sounds weak unless you have better evidence of cohabitation.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hello. Thanks for the response. Is changing addresses is not good enough evidence of cohabitation?
It may be, depending on what you say by 'changing your address.' Canada doesn't have a central official address registry. Usually IRCC'd expect to see you on the lease, but not just that.

Get married - none of this is an issue and your evidence of cohabitation is good evidence of bona fide relationship.

Ers0992

May 23, 2015
The problem is we are undergoing IVF process which is very expensive. We planned the marriage but not while we are on this process. So instead of spending money to wedding we decided to postpone it. So if marriage is not a possibility, does our chances low?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
The problem is we are undergoing IVF process which is very expensive. We planned the marriage but not while we are on this process. So instead of spending money to wedding we decided to postpone it. So if marriage is not a possibility, does our chances low?
You can go to city hall and do a small civil ceremony (cheap), do your big expensive celebration later. None of the guests will care you did a civil ceremony before.

I wouldn't say chances 'low.' I don't know. I do know that if you have this other stuff going on, it might be advantageous to have this particular issue moved off the table. In particular, possibly the application will move through more quickly, which may be an advantage.

Up to you.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thank you so much for the insights I really appreciate it. We will need to talk about this civil ceremony.
It's up to you. I'm not trying to 'push' marriage. I just think it makes sense for many/most in immigration context, when there is a tangible benefit of legally having marriage recognized earlier.

And the big expensive marriage? Who's that for? (Disney and wedding planners)

Note, there are some religious and cultural contexts where the big elaborate and epxensive weddings may be important. Arranged marriages, for example.

Not my culture, not my problem.