+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

2 pieces of ID for online Oath Ceremony

Hapique

Oct 17, 2015
Hi,

It happened to a friend of mine last week (I'm still waiting for DM).

He got an invitation for on-line Oath Ceremony recently. While showing 2 pieces of ID to an agent before the ceremony, he showed his Ontario Health Card (expired) and Passport of another country he is a citizen of. He did not have his driver's license (lost). The agent rejected to consider Passport of another country and the expired OHIP card as IDs. The agent stated IDs should be valid and issued by Canadian authorities. But this information is not specified in the Oath invitation mail requirement.

I've checked the official web-site and it calls for:
What to bring
When you come to the ceremony, bring:
  • your ceremony notice
  • a signed copy of the Permission Release and Consent form (included with the notice)
  • permanent resident card if you have one (even if it’s expired) or Confirmation of Permanent Residence (IMM5292 or IMM5688)
  • Record of Landing (IMM 1000) if you became a permanent resident before June 28, 2002
  • 2 pieces of personal identification (ID)
    • one piece of ID must have your photograph and signature, for example: driver’s licence, health card or permanent resident card
    • foreign ID documents must be government-issued, Canadian ones don’t need to be government-issued
    • if they’re not in English or French, you must provide a translation with an affidavit from the translator
    • minors are not required to show identification with a signature
  • all your passports and travel documents, current and expired, that you listed on the application form
  • optional: a holy book, of your choice, if you want to use one to swear the Oath of Citizenship

It looks to me that a foreign government-issued valid passport must be accepted based on the aforementioned info.

Guys, who already swore, what documents did you use as 2 pieces of ID?
Kindly mention if they were expired and if they were not issued in Canada (like your passport of a home country) and accepted as IDs by an agent.

PS: As for me, my driver's license and PR card will expire in August 2021, while my foreign passport and OHIP will be valid for another few years.
I need to understand if it's enough or I must renew PR / Driver's licence immediately.

Thank you and good luck to all!

Reactions: nicolass

Cassiano

Dec 4, 2017
Hi,

He got an invitation for on-line Oath Ceremony recently. While showing 2 pieces of ID to an agent before the ceremony, he showed his Ontario Health Card (expired) and Passport of another country he is a citizen of. He did not have his driver's license (lost). The agent rejected to consider Passport of another country and the expired OHIP card as IDs. The agent stated IDs should be valid and issued by Canadian authorities. But this information is not specified in the Oath invitation mail requirement.

What to bring
  • your ceremony notice
  • a signed copy of the Permission Release and Consent form (included with the notice)
  • permanent resident card if you have one (even if it’s expired) or Confirmation of Permanent Residence (IMM5292 or IMM5688)
  • Record of Landing (IMM 1000) if you became a permanent resident before June 28, 2002
    • one piece of ID must have your photograph and signature, for example: driver’s licence, health card or permanent resident card
    • foreign ID documents must be government-issued, Canadian ones don’t need to be government-issued
    • if they’re not in English or French, you must provide a translation with an affidavit from the translator
  • all your passports and travel documents, current and expired, that you listed on the application form
  • optional: a holy book, of your choice, if you want to use one to swear the Oath of Citizenship

It looks to me that a foreign government-issued valid passport must be accepted based on the aforementioned info.

Kindly mention if they were expired and if they were not issued in Canada (like your passport of a home country) and accepted as IDs by an agent.

PS: As for me, my driver's license and PR card will expire in August 2021, while my foreign passport and OHIP will be valid for another few years.
I need to understand if it's enough or I must renew PR / Driver's licence immediately.

what did s/he send to them, when s/he applied?
remember, when you apply, you send copies of the ID's you will show at the Oath...

Hapique

Oct 17, 2015
what did s/he send to them, when s/he applied?
remember, when you apply, you send copies of the ID's you will show at the Oath...
He was not requested to provide any documents before the Oath.
And he had the same passport he applied to Citizenship with.

blingyrie

May 10, 2017
Hi,

What to bring
  • your ceremony notice

I used dl and pr cards; also had my fx passport at hand but didn’t use it. If they reject expired, then it means the ids should be valid and active. I think you will have your oath way before August.

Reactions: Hapique

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
Hi,

What to bring
  • your ceremony notice

He didnt have PR card?
So it seems that one local id(driver license or health card) should be valid while taking oath if PR card is not present. I assume they would have accepted the PR card even if its expired(along with valid passport)

Reactions: Hapique

Hapique

Oct 17, 2015
I used dl and pr cards; also had my fx passport at hand but didn’t use it. If they reject expired, then it means the ids should be valid and active. I think you will have your oath way before August.
Thank you for the info and for your encouragement!

He didnt have PR card?
So it seems that one local id(driver license or health card) should be valid while taking oath if PR card is not present. I assume they would have accepted the PR card even if its expired(along with valid passport)
He had PR as well. I also assume that one Canadian document should be valid. He said they were arguing but finally allowed him to take the Oath.
Maybe he did not share the full story with me, who knows. Therefore it's important to know positive experience from the members of this forum.

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Call IRCC or respond to the oath invite with this inquiry. What I do know is that they require pr card.
No, many attended without PR card. In the oath invite, the list they send doesnt have any instruction(per post earlier by some member) to have PR card as mandatory document. Even before pandemic this is the same case.
People lose PR card just before oath. its common. All he/she needs is the ID. Possibly OP doesnt have other ID.
I lost my PR card and can't find the Confirmation of Permanent Residence paper but have a coye of that , am i still be able to finish the oath?
COPR is not PR card replacement.
DOnt you have other ID from the list?

blingyrie

May 10, 2017
No, many attended without PR card. In the oath invite, the list they send doesnt have any instruction(per post earlier by some member) to have PR card as mandatory document. Even before pandemic this is the same case.
People lose PR card just before oath. its common. All he/she needs is the ID. Possibly OP doesnt have other ID.

DOnt you have other ID from the list?
Ok I stand corrected on my point 2, but for him to have accurate direction around, I think it’s best for him/her to contact IRCC by call or respond to that email. It doesn’t hurt to.

Hapique

Oct 17, 2015
That is correct but web-site has this phrase:
So, I would still have this document handy, but not as a piece of ID.

I lost my PR card and can't find the Confirmation of Permanent Residence paper but have a coye of that , am i still be able to finish the oath?
Here is an extract from Oath invite letter from a friend of mine. Please see some instructions what to do if you don't have a PR card:

- Have the following documents/objects available beside you for registration:

ü Permanent resident card if you have one (even if it’s expired) or Confirmation of Permanent Residence (IMM5292 or IMM5688) and a good pair of scissors.
NOTE: You (and your family members) will be asked to cut up the Permanent Resident card(s) on screen during the ceremony. If your Permanent resident card was lost, stolen, destroyed or never received, complete the Solemn Declaration form and return it to us at this e-mail address immediately.

ü Record of Landing (IMM 1000) if you became a permanent resident before June 28, 2002.

ü 2 pieces of personal identification (ID): one must have your photograph and signature on it, e.g. driver’s license, health card - Minors are not required to show identification with a signature.

NOTE: You will be asked to show these on screen for identification purposes. If you have a face covering, you will be asked to removing it during registration for identity verification.

ü [If applicable] If you are the parent/guardian who submitted/signed the application on behalf of a minor child, your Personal identification (ID) will also be required.

ü A printed copy (unsigned) of the Oath or Affirmation of Citizenship form (attached to this e-mail) and a BLACK INK PEN.
NOTE: You will be asked to sign and date the form in front of the presiding official after the Closing Remarks – this form confirms the Oath has been recited and the effective date of Canadian citizenship. This form must be signed and dated by you at both places indicated on the form on the same day you recite the Oath. OR If you prefer, you can sign the form electronically after the ceremony (instructions attached) and e-mail it back to IRCC immediately following the ceremony. DO NOT SIGN THIS FORM BEFORE TAKING THE OATH OF CITIZENSHIP.

ü optional: a holy book, of your choice, if you want to use one to swear the Oath of Citizenship

Reactions: harirajmohan

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
That is correct but web-site has this phrase:
So, I would still have this document handy, but not as a piece of ID.

Here is an extract from Oath invite letter from a friend of mine. Please see some instructions what to do if you don't have a PR card:
Thanks for giving the documents list content of the email. That helps for many of us to plan.

AlexGrig94

Jul 20, 2024
Hello! Do you think foreign passport and PR will work for the verification? (as per the website information and the 1st message here).

The invitation email states that I must have another Canadian-issued ID if my first ID is a permanent resident card.

I lost my Health Card.

My ceremony is scheduled for this Thursday, I already sent them an email. But can't find the direct phone number to reach them, could someone please share if they know?

I'm panicking, thinking of rescheduling.

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Hello! Do you think foreign passport and PR will work for the verification? (as per the website information and the 1st message here).

The invitation email states that I must have another Canadian-issued ID if my first ID is a permanent resident card.

I lost my Health Card.

My ceremony is scheduled for this Thursday, I already sent them an email. But can't find the direct phone number to reach them, could someone please share if they know?

I'm panicking, thinking of rescheduling.
Having your passport and PR card should suffice. It's also wise to bring additional ID documents from your home country, such as a driver's license, as backup.

Make sure to apply for your health card and keep the receipt accessible for the ceremony. Additionally, have your COPR (Confirmation of Permanent Residence) handy. If you have electronic copies of your health card or other Canadian ID documents, print them out as well.

Unlike the citizenship application process, the ID required during the oath is primarily to confirm your identity.

Don't reschedule your oath.