+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

15 months and waiting...

yoguibrown

Jul 7, 2013
It's been 15 months now with eligibility and background check always "in process". Everytime I reach out I get the same answer saying that my application is under review. I requested GCM notes and addressed all the concerns raised by the agent but no move on my file at all. Is this common among applicants? Any advice on what to do next is appreciated.

Nicolas Balle

Jun 10, 2022
Man..tell me about it. Got aor in September 22 with biometrics (no medicals), then no update until April 19th. The update was background check only, that changed to “in process”. Eligibility hasn’t even started yet. It will be 12 months next week for me. A whole year, still haven’t got my medicals, or eligibility , or anything really. Several June 22 applicants got their PPR already if not had their application completed. Mine still stuck in Ottawa.

Brazil application *

_V_K_

Star Member
Feb 16, 2023
It's been 15 months now with eligibility and background check always "in process". Everytime I reach out I get the same answer saying that my application is under review. I requested GCM notes and addressed all the concerns raised by the agent but no move on my file at all. Is this common among applicants? Any advice on what to do next is appreciated.
I applied in July 2022. Everything was complete relatively quickly except Background check which is In Process since October 2022. No updates since then Except a ghost update on April 19. Called the agent in May and the answer was "the standard processing time is 14-16 months so your application is within the standards". Just waiting I guess.

InfoSeeker12

Champion Member
Aug 28, 2012
Canada
LANDED..........
Sep 2013
1-You guys are in Spousal PR thread. So im assuming you have/are Sponsors. Citizens? If yes, then reach MP, tell them September/October applicants are getting Passport requests while our application is stuck.
2-Send WebForm - ask specifically if you can, you are concerned your application is lost in the system since you haven't got any response - or are you supposed to send another application through the Digital Portal as perhaps CIC is no more processing the paper applications---- write anything that will make them quickly sit back straight......and....respond back..
3-Twitter-Storm...startup something like #CiC-Delays......But is your application July 2022 with no response , should be labelled as stuck....or someone with July 2020?? or I have seen here last week someone from 2019 as well!!!

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Citizens? If yes, then reach MP, tell them September/October applicants are getting Passport requests while our application is stuck.
Permanent resident-sponsors absolutely can - and should! - also contact their MPs. Just because one is not yet a citizen doesn't mean MPs shouldn't or can't at least try to represent your interests. Certainly there is no rule against an MP inquiring on your behalf (or indeed for foreign nationals if they wish to).

Most MPs' offices will usually ask you to indicate that you or a family member reside in the area - at least nominally. Or you plan to.

I can also say from some experience: most MPs' offices will put just as much effort into helping PRs as they do citizens. They look on them as potential future voters, understand most have family and friends (voters or supporters) living near them too, or at least likely to give 'word of mouth' approval ('buzz') that will help them (or hurt them if negative).

And if that MP doesn't want to help you - they probably werent' going to help you much as a citizen, either.

Reactions: InfoSeeker12

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Permanent resident-sponsors absolutely can - and should! - also contact their MPs. Just because one is not yet a citizen doesn't mean MPs shouldn't or can't at least try to represent your interests. Certainly there is no rule against an MP inquiring on your behalf (or indeed for foreign nationals if they wish to).

Most MPs' offices will usually ask you to indicate that you or a family member reside in the area - at least nominally. Or you plan to.

I can also say from some experience: most MPs' offices will put just as much effort into helping PRs as they do citizens. They look on them as potential future voters, understand most have family and friends (voters or supporters) living near them too, or at least likely to give 'word of mouth' approval ('buzz') that will help them (or hurt them if negative).

And if that MP doesn't want to help you - they probably werent' going to help you much as a citizen, either.
What is most important is that people look at average processing time for sponsorships from the specific country. Processing is longer in certain countries. An MP can do very little if your processing time is in line with other applicants from the same country. An MP can’t do much to help so done applying to sponsor a spouse unless they are facing something unusual.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
What country is your spouse from? There are certain countries that have on average had longer sponsorship times than 1 year.

yoguibrown

Jul 7, 2013
Thanks all for sharing your experience and tips. I am Canadian (after a long wait of 2.5 yrs since applying). Applied to sponsor my wife in March 2022. Will reach out to my MP, she should be able to help I suppose.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks all for sharing your experience and tips. I am Canadian (after a long wait of 2.5 yrs since applying). Applied to sponsor my wife in March 2022. Will reach out to my MP, she should be able to help I suppose.
What country is your spouse from? You being Canadian isn’t a factor on how long your spouse application takes for processing. For example there are longer processing times for counties like Pakistan, Iran, etc. An MP can’t help if you have similar processing as other applicants.

yoguibrown

Jul 7, 2013
What country is your spouse from? You being Canadian isn’t a factor on how long your spouse application takes for processing. For example there are longer processing times for counties like Pakistan, Iran, etc. An MP can’t help if you have similar processing as other applicants.
I was just replying to Infoseeker and armoured above and how my status in the country would help getting support from the MP. Processing office is Lebanon. As of today Family sponsorship processing time for applications submitted outside Canada takes 15 months, that's why I am trying to find ways to get things moving a bit.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I was just replying to Infoseeker and armoured above and how my status in the country would help getting support from the MP.
Yes, and willingness/ability of MP to help is not based on citizenship.

What is most important is that people look at average processing time for sponsorships from the specific country. Processing is longer in certain countries. An MP can do very little if your processing time is in line with other applicants from the same country. An MP can’t do much to help so done applying to sponsor a spouse unless they are facing something unusual.
That may be 'most' important, in your judgment, but was not actually the point. At any rate - after 15 months, there is no harm in inquiring through the MP's office.

Reactions: yoguibrown

MrsYounes

Sep 14, 2023
Im
I was just replying to Infoseeker and armoured above and how my status in the country would help getting support from the MP. Processing office is Lebanon. As of today Family sponsorship processing time for applications submitted outside Canada takes 15 months, that's why I am trying to find ways to get things moving a bit.
Hello!
Any update in your application?

Kananaskis

Star Member
Oct 4, 2023
Man..tell me about it. Got aor in September 22 with biometrics (no medicals), then no update until April 19th. The update was background check only, that changed to “in process”. Eligibility hasn’t even started yet. It will be 12 months next week for me. A whole year, still haven’t got my medicals, or eligibility , or anything really. Several June 22 applicants got their PPR already if not had their application completed. Mine still stuck in Ottawa.

Brazil application *
Any updates in your application?
You are now past the timeline, I was wondering if they moved it along

Faria Afroz

Jun 19, 2024

Any update