+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

10 months processing time for spousal sponsorship

agentorange_

Star Member
Mar 9, 2023
On 3rd of June 2024, the processing time for outland spousal sponsorships outside of Quebec fell from 13 months to 10 months. Many of us with VOs like London have, by definition, already passed the processing time.

We've been told earlier that we had to wait 13 months or 12 months depending on the processing time and that since our applications are within that timeline, we can't expect progress. Now the time frame has dropped. Does that apply to us or not? It's the service standard IRCC promises most applications.

I'm wondering if folks here had success reaching out to MPs now that they are over the processing time. If you haven't contacted your MP about this, please do. Lately IRCC has been moving super confusingly with little transparency as to what such updates mean or how they will impact us. I have reason to believe that this timeline applies to even those of us who submitted our applications when processing time was 12 months as our MPs told us to expect something within 13 months when it changed to 13 in recent times. So now that it is 10, that should apply to us also.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
So now that it is 10, that should apply to us also.
The timeline is a rough guideline, a backward-looking thing, calculated looking back. It's an estimate.

Does it 'apply' to you ? Well, yes. Whether your MP's office will act on it at this point or say it should be 12 months or whatever - call them and try. Complain if you want.

The thing is, most of the time, the MP's office can only inquire and get basic information. There are cases where an MP's inquiry finds an issue, or even more rarely that intervention/inquiry gets IRCC to do something, but don't expect magic. Most of the time they get similar information to what you'll get online.

agentorange_

Star Member
Mar 9, 2023
The timeline is a rough guideline, a backward-looking thing, calculated looking back. It's an estimate.

Does it 'apply' to you ? Well, yes. Whether your MP's office will act on it at this point or say it should be 12 months or whatever - call them and try. Complain if you want.

The thing is, most of the time, the MP's office can only inquire and get basic information. There are cases where an MP's inquiry finds an issue, or even more rarely that intervention/inquiry gets IRCC to do something, but don't expect magic. Most of the time they get similar information to what you'll get online.
I've done my part, and my MP has proactively done theirs. Now waiting for an update from IRCC. Expecting magic from this process, no, but hoping to take proactive measures and questioning delays on standards that IRCC themselves set, yes. I encourage everyone to do the same. Different MPs have different responses but we are generally encouraged to reach out to them once processing times have passed.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I've done my part, and my MP has proactively done theirs. Now waiting for an update from IRCC. Expecting magic from this process, no, but hoping to take proactive measures and questioning delays on standards that IRCC themselves set, yes. I encourage everyone to do the same. Different MPs have different responses but we are generally encouraged to reach out to them once processing times have passed.
There was never a guaranteed processing time.

agentorange_

Star Member
Mar 9, 2023
Well you’ve been contacting MP knowing that the goal is to process 80% of applications within the processing time not a guarantee.
So why is that hurting you so much? Are you their case worker oh so burdened by my contacting? Smh IRCC apologists. When my MP has no problem in helping me out neither does IRCC, I wonder why it's triggering you to be so condescending. Must help you sleep better at night.

Reactions: orangeutan98

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
By all means, I'm all for people holding their MPs to try and get some help and to keep them aware of how it works.

But I'm also realistic.