+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

1 year work experience, Calculation of Hours?

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Following on my previous question:

I have worked from 01, Sep, 2014 to 06, Aug, 2016 as a MSc graduate student research assistant in a Canadian institution. As far as I know this is considered a part time job. I just noticed in express entry eligibility tool it asks whether I have been working for equivalent of one year full time in the past three years, now since some of this work is not within past three years I won't be able to use the minimum 15 hr per week. Now my question is:

If I put any hr per week I want (less than 30) in the profile (e.g., 25 hr per week) and my supervisor verifies that with a recommendation letter, would the officer buy this?

One of my friends says that it would come across unreasonable if I put more than 20 hr per week for a part time job and the officer may doubt that. Do you think there is such a thing or the officer only checks with the Prof's recommendation letter?
1 - For eligibility purposes under the CEC program you need the equivalent of a year of full-time work experience. You can still claim points for any skilled work experience within the past 10 years.
2 - No such thing as "minimum 15 hrs per week".
3 - The fact that you went from 16 hrs per week to 25 hrs per week is quite sketchy so I won't be a part of anything that involves misrepresentation.

Reactions: canuck_in_uk

Khaleda papri

Jan 22, 2018
As per the requirement, the number of hours is required. Does your offer letter/appointment letter have the hours mentioned in it?
Hi,Stanlee.If I got my reference letter in company letterhead,does it required to show pay slip or any kind of documents of salary drawn?

aralizadegan

Star Member
Sep 6, 2017
1 - For eligibility purposes under the CEC program you need the equivalent of a year of full-time work experience. You can still claim points for any skilled work experience within the past 10 years.
3 - The fact that you went from 16 hrs per week to 25 hrs per week is quite sketchy so I won't be a part of anything that involves misrepresentation.
Thanks so much for your responses.

About 3: I have not went from 16 to 25. I have not set up my profile yet, so I will consistently use 25 hr per week for all and support that with a recommendation letter from my supervisor. I was a research and teaching assistant so indeed i might have worked even more than 25 hr per week. Now considering this, do you believe that if I put 25 hr per week for a part time job, the officer won't buy it even if I have supporting recommendation letter?

or do you have other reason disagreeing with this?

Last edited:

aralizadegan

Star Member
Sep 6, 2017
Also about 1: I can't do CEC because I was working as post graduate research/teaching assistant while studying. So, I am planning to go with FSW. Now here is the problem I am having:

The minimum eligibility requirement at:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/become-candidate/eligibility/federal-skilled-workers.html

says that I need equivalent of one year full time work experience in past 10 years. It also doesn't seem to say whether it has to be Canadian work experience or any work experience.

When I start with the express entry eligibity tool, it asks whether my work experience in the last 3 years is more or less than equivalent of 1 year full time. When I say less than one year, it asks how many years work experience (not just Canadian) do I have in past 10 years?

Now I wonder, for FSW do I need to have enough Canadian work experience in last 3 years or last 10 years?

Last edited:

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Also about 1: I can't do CEC because I was working as post graduate research/teaching assistant while studying. So, I am planning to go with FSW. Now here is the problem I am having:

The minimum eligibility requirement at:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/become-candidate/eligibility/federal-skilled-workers.html

says that I need equivalent of one year full time work experience in past 10 years. It also doesn't seem to say whether it has to be Canadian work experience or any work experience.

When I start with the express entry eligibity tool, it asks whether my work experience in the last 3 years is more or less than equivalent of 1 year full time. When I say less than one year, it asks how many years work experience (not just Canadian) do I have in past 10 years?

Now I wonder, for FSW do I need to have enough Canadian work experience in last 3 years or last 10 years?
The requirement can be met with either eligible Canadian or foreign work experience within the past 10 years.

Macyfiller

Feb 17, 2018
Hi,newbie here. Can someone help me analyze my case. Can it be counted as 1yr? Same company and NOC. TIA :)

Jan 9 - Dec 31 , 2015
March 1 - Dec 31 , 2017

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello! mine is not CEC too but you mentioned that I will be given a 1 whole year of work experience too even i got the experience under 2 different employers.

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/how-does-cic-count-years-of-work-experience.544745/

can you please clarify?
Under the FSW program the applicant needs a year of continuous full-time work experience in order to be eligible.

Not sure how the link you posted relates to the question of the other applicant.

holygrail15

Star Member
Sep 1, 2017
Under the FSW program the applicant needs a year of continuous full-time work experience in order to be eligible.

Not sure how the link you posted relates to the question of the other applicant.

my question in the link above is if work experience outside canada is cumulative for FSW? like 2 yrs and 5 mos from company A and 3 yrs and 8 mos from company B. both employments are full time, no gap/break in between and fall under 1 NOC. will I be given 6 yrs full-time work exp or just 5 yrs (omitting the months cumulative of 1 year)

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
my question in the link above is if work experience outside canada is cumulative for FSW? like 2 yrs and 5 mos from company A and 3 yrs and 8 mos from company B. both employments are full time, no gap/break in between and fall under 1 NOC. will I be given 6 yrs full-time work exp or just 5 yrs (omitting the months cumulative of 1 year)
As already mentioned. 6 years.

phaneeswar130

Star Member
Mar 5, 2018
Visa Office......
Montreal
Hello All,

I have a quick question regarding work experience.

After completing my bachelors degree, I worked as Software engineer starting from May-2012 to June-2014, then took a year and half break to pursue Master's degree as a full-time student and again started working as Software engineer from April-2016 to till date(currently working).

So, is my work experience considered as a total of 4 years or only 2 years since only 2 years in continuous?
Both jobs are Full-Time (40 hrs/week).

Appreciate your response! Thank you!

waipm2000

Star Member
Sep 10, 2017
You cannot count 40 hours per week -- max 30 hrs/week is allowed (for both full-time and part-time).

So your total part time: 406.54 hours
Full time hours: 960 hours

Total: 1366.54 < 1560!
Hi, thank you for your answer.

I have a question. What about paid sick leaves, vacation pay and stat pay or stat worked pay. do IRCC take them into their account as worked hours, please?

Appreciate your answer