+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

“Staying eligible” until oath ceremony

ownio

Feb 27, 2013
Hi guys

Didn’t see an answer to this from a forum search, but does the requirement to remain eligible / meet all the eligibility requirements just oblige the applicant to maintain their PR status, or must they ALSO have to requalify again under the 3/5 rule as at the date of oath ceremony (as well as date of application of course)?

It’s a little unclear what is intended to be captured by the test.

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
Hi guys

Didn’t see an answer to this from a forum search, but does the requirement to remain eligible / meet all the eligibility requirements just oblige the applicant to maintain their PR status, or must they ALSO have to requalify again under the 3/5 rule as at the date of oath ceremony (as well as date of application of course)?

It’s a little unclear what is intended to be captured by the test.
You only need to keep fulfilling the PR obligation, i.e. the 2 out of 5 rules. The 3/5 rule must only be met on the day before applying.

Also, you shouldn't murder anyone or it might affect your eligibility :)

thejkhan

Jun 5, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The 3/5 rule must only be met on the day before applying.
Wrong.

The 3/5 rule must be met by the date application is signed. (must be the same date in the residency calculator)

Last edited:

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
Wrong.

The 3/5 rule must be met by the date application is signed. (must be the same date in the residency calculator)
LOL, seriously? Did you even bother to at least read the application form for citizenship before thinking you know it better?
It literally says above the signature line: "Remember to make sure that you are eligible for citizenship on the day BEFORE you sign this application"

Alternatively, please read section 5(1)(c)(i) of the Citizenship Act, last amended on 2017-10-11.

Some people...

thejkhan

Jun 5, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LOL, seriously?
Yes, seriously. Read your own post:

"Remember to make sure that you are eligible for citizenship on the day before you SIGN THIS APPLICATION"

Alternatively, please read section 5(1)(c)(i) of the Citizenship Act, last amended on 2017-10-11.

Some people...

"Sign this application" - the key phrase. That date is used to calculate your eligibility.

If what you mean by "day before applying" (in post# 2) -> "day before signing", then I have no qualms with you.

Last edited:

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015

"Sign this application" - the key phrase. That date is used to calculate your eligibility.

If what you mean by "day before applying" (in post# 2) -> "day before signing", then I have no qualms with you.
Well how relieved I am that you have no qualms with me. Now excuse me I have to go help some people.

robw

Mar 10, 2014

I'm glad you mention in your signature you're not an expert because you seem to have no idea what you're talking about (or did a mod add that on your behalf?).

Reactions: spyfy

thejkhan

Jun 5, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
no idea what you're talking about.
Low iq maybe.

Spyfy's post #2 is misleading. "Applying" can mean mailing out OR application received at CIC - which are not the dates used to calculate 3/5 years requirement. The only date that matters for this calculation is the date application is signed.

I'm sure some people will find my clarification helpful, now or in future.

Last edited:

ownio

Feb 27, 2013
Thanks everyone. It seems from the replies that the 1,095 physical days test doesn’t re-apply AGAIN upon oath taking - just a different series of tests including maintaining PR, etc. This will be met, but currently working overseas for a period.

nofrills

Jun 5, 2015
Toronto
Category........
CEC
App. Filed.......
06-07-2015
AOR Received.
06-07-2015
Passport Req..
11-09-2015
LANDED..........
25-09-2015
Low iq maybe.

Spyfy's post #2 is misleading. "Applying" can mean mailing out OR application received at CIC - which are not the dates used to calculate 3/5 years requirement. The only date that matters for this calculation is the date application is signed.

I'm sure some people will find my clarification helpful, now or in future.
One more time - the application is completed when you sign it and the instruction indicates: "Remember to make sure that you are eligible for citizenship on the day BEFORE you sign this application"

There is nothing wrong about what was said.

Stef.

Apr 5, 2017
One more time - the application is completed when you sign it and the instruction indicates: "Remember to make sure that you are eligible for citizenship on the day BEFORE you sign this application"

There is nothing wrong about what was said.
Apparently some people misunderstand the word "before" referring to "day" instead of "sign".

If you turn it around it should be foolproof: "Before you sign your application- make sure that you are eligible for citizenship on the date of your signature"