+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

working over 20 hrs/week on OCWP

scuzzbag

Oct 15, 2013
Hi everyone! I know, this topic has been discussed here many times, but I didn't find the answer I'm looking for. So, the question is: does the CIC check everyone on going over 20 hrs? If yes, at what point do they do it (when I apply for PGWP or PR)? Or they only start investigation when school finds out about that (this one is based on the following quote: ''Although there is no legislation or policy preventing students from working 20 hours a week on campus and 20 hours a week off-campus, DIRs should discourage students from working more than 20 hours a week, reminding them that they must study full-time and maintain satisfactory academic standing in order to remain eligible for the program.'')?

I understand, it's breaching my visa conditions and it may cause serious consequences. I'd like to hear from someone who has been in similar situation or knows about similar cases (friends, friends of friends, etc.)

Thanx in advance for answering!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
The checks are random and CIC doesn't just rely on schools for information. They also rely on employers and CRA (i.e. what employers report to Canada Revenue Agency against your SIN). CIC also follows up on any complains received about illegal work through their web site / phone number. CIC may check at any point from the time you first arrive in Canada as a student.

I think the chances of being caught are low. However if caught, you can count on being removed from Canada and can forget about ever again qualifying for the following types of visas to Canada: student visa, work visa, visitor visa. A removal can also impact applications to other countries such as the US. I doubt you'll hear any first hand or second hand experiences here. People generally don't post information to the forum about being caught, since once you're caught - it's game over and you're going home.

Reactions: CMog

txboyscout

Jun 9, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
03-08-2011
scuzzbag said:
Does Revenue Canada monitor this stuff. Or they only care about taxes being properly paid?
Revenue Canada has nothing to do with immigration enforcement--they only care that you pay the right amount of taxes. However, CIC can ask revenue canada for your records if they wish to. There is always the possibility you will be caught and deported so that's on you to decide if that's a risk worth taking.

scuzzbag

Oct 15, 2013
okay, thanks for quick replies, guys! i really appreciate it!! just wanna summarize what i understood: a)there's no trigger for a check; they do it randomly. b) if caught, nothing's gonna save you. so it's best just to obey the rules.

the only thing, i'm still confused about is the quote i mentioned before (Although there is no legislation or policy preventing students from working 20 hours a week on campus and 20 hours a week off-campus, DIRs should discourage students from working more than 20 hours a week, reminding them that they must study full-time and maintain satisfactory academic standing in order to remain eligible for the program).

could anyone explain me what it means? does it just mean that there's no, let's say, 'systematic catching'? or is it something else?

mead

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2012
Doc's Request.
28-11-2012
IELTS Request
n/a
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
6-12-2012
scuzzbag said:
okay, thanks for quick replies, guys! i really appreciate it!! just wanna summarize what i understood: a)there's no trigger for a check; they do it randomly. b) if caught, nothing's gonna save you. so it's best just to obey the rules.

the only thing, i'm still confused about is the quote i mentioned before (Although there is no legislation or policy preventing students from working 20 hours a week on campus and 20 hours a week off-campus, DIRs should discourage students from working more than 20 hours a week, reminding them that they must study full-time and maintain satisfactory academic standing in order to remain eligible for the program).

could anyone explain me what it means? does it just mean that there's no, let's say, 'systematic catching'? or is it something else?
means they discourage working on campus 20hrs and off campus 20hrs ..it does not mean they cannot track if u work off campus for more than 20hrs. also if u work off campus for more than 20hrs it may be tracked during ur PR application or in future or when extending ur study permit etc.....so if ur working more than 20hrs and getting paid legally meaning paying taxes then u can get into trouble .

May 30, 2013
Just this week I spoke to a student who worked in the summer without a work permit. He applied to extend his study permit after returning to school and was refused because CIC had knowledge of his illegal employment. He'll have to leave and probably won't be able to come back.

Marlee

Jan 16, 2014
Montréal, Québec
Category........
Visa Office......
CSQ: BIQ New York; QSW: CPC Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
CSQ: 14-01-2014, QSW: 08-12-2014
Doc's Request.
13-11-2015
Nomination.....
DM: 07-01-2016, CSQ: 15-10-2014
AOR Received.
CSQ: 14-05-2014, QSW: 26-03-2015
IELTS Request
IELTS 8.5 - TEFÀQ C1/C1
Med's Done....
Upfront
Interview........
Waiver
Passport Req..
Visa-exempt
VISA ISSUED...
COPR received 14-01-2016
LANDED..........
17-01-2016
Just out if curiosity...how would they know?

mead

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2012
Doc's Request.
28-11-2012
IELTS Request
n/a
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
6-12-2012
Marlee said:
Just out if curiosity...how would they know?
various ways
by people who may complain , by co workers, rarely but sometimes by raids , from taxes , from employer if he is not happy with u etc

Marlee

Jan 16, 2014
Montréal, Québec
Category........
Visa Office......
CSQ: BIQ New York; QSW: CPC Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
CSQ: 14-01-2014, QSW: 08-12-2014
Doc's Request.
13-11-2015
Nomination.....
DM: 07-01-2016, CSQ: 15-10-2014
AOR Received.
CSQ: 14-05-2014, QSW: 26-03-2015
IELTS Request
IELTS 8.5 - TEFÀQ C1/C1
Med's Done....
Upfront
Interview........
Waiver
Passport Req..
Visa-exempt
VISA ISSUED...
COPR received 14-01-2016
LANDED..........
17-01-2016
Taxes? I thought the CRA does not forward any information to CIC unless requested.

PPAAR

Feb 27, 2017
scylla said:
The checks are random and CIC doesn't just rely on schools for information. They also rely on employers and CRA (i.e. what employers report to Canada Revenue Agency against your SIN). CIC also follows up on any complains received about illegal work through their web site / phone number. CIC may check at any point from the time you first arrive in Canada as a student.

I think the chances of being caught are low. However if caught, you can count on being removed from Canada and can forget about ever again qualifying for the following types of visas to Canada: student visa, work visa, visitor visa. A removal can also impact applications to other countries such as the US. I doubt you'll hear any first hand or second hand experiences here. People generally don't post information to the forum about being caught, since once you're caught - it's game over and you're going home.
well information is quite useful. i have one question, is CRA has all the info about hours/week, if yes how CRA get that ??? because someone tells me, only amount of income and tax employer provide to CRA. please response!!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
daebak123 said:
What if you only worked more than 20 hours for 1 week and the rest of your week from working are less than 20 hours. Will that also cost you? Sometimes it's very confusing for international students like us that the typical work week is different in Canada.
If you work more than 20 hours per week it's a violation of your study permit. Violations of your study permit can lead to the study permit being canceled and being ordered to leave Canada. If you accidentally worked more than 20 hours a week once then you should be fine. Don't do it more than once if being allowed to remain in Canada is a priority.

Stefan_deep

Jan 28, 2018
Hello,

Can anyone please help me with my confusion ? In COVID-19 outbreak, I worked 40 hours per week but after Aug 31. Unfortunately, I worked 24 hours in two weeks of october-20 but rest of the weeks I worked only 20 hours per week. I am going to apply my PGWP in Jan-21 so will there be any issue ?

Reactions: MX100

sufjans

Star Member
Nov 6, 2020
Hello,

Can anyone please help me with my confusion ? In COVID-19 outbreak, I worked 40 hours per week but after Aug 31. Unfortunately, I worked 24 hours in two weeks of october-20 but rest of the weeks I worked only 20 hours per week. I am going to apply my PGWP in Jan-21 so will there be any issue ?
Little bit sometimes is probably fine as it can happen unintentionally. But don't do it again. Won't affect PGWP.