+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Super Visa rejection - insufficient proof of relationship

lyluk

Dec 21, 2014
I just received the letter of rejection for my mother's super visa. Reason being: Insufficient proof of relationship between the applicant and host provided.
I'm surprised as I sent a notarized letter from the Court where my mother makes an oath saying I am her daughter etc and I also sent my marriage certificate showing my maiden name and married name.
I would like to understand what went wrong there? Why was I not asked if I could provide more documents to this application? They just closed the case saying I can re-apply.

How soon can I re-apply? Her medical insurance is due to start this September.
What can I include with my new application to show as proof of relationship? (apart from birth certificate)

Any insight and advice would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I just received the letter of rejection for my mother's super visa. Reason being: Insufficient proof of relationship between the applicant and host provided.
I'm surprised as I sent a notarized letter from the Court where my mother makes an oath saying I am her daughter etc and I also sent my marriage certificate showing my maiden name and married name.
I would like to understand what went wrong there? Why was I not asked if I could provide more documents to this application? They just closed the case saying I can re-apply.

How soon can I re-apply? Her medical insurance is due to start this September.
What can I include with my new application to show as proof of relationship? (apart from birth certificate)

Any insight and advice would be much appreciated. Thank you.
A notarized letter from your mother making an oath doesn’t prove the relationship. Showing a maiden name is not proof. If you don’t have a birth certificate, then what can you show that you are related. Does your passport have any mention of mother. IRCC doesn’t ask for additional documents for visitor visas. You have to provide it in the application. If not, refused.

https://ircc.canada.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1536&

Reactions: YVR123

lyluk

Dec 21, 2014
A notarized letter from your mother making an oath doesn’t prove the relationship. Showing a maiden name is not proof. If you don’t have a birth certificate, then what can you show that you are related. Does your passport have any mention of mother. IRCC doesn’t ask for additional documents for visitor visas. You have to provide it in the application. If not, refused.

https://ircc.canada.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1536&
I understand now, so it is actually that simple. I do have a birth certificate but assumed those documents I submitted would be enough since I don't use my maiden name.

Would I have to leave a gap before submitting a new application? Or can I just submit one anytime? Is it possible to appeal that I do have the birth certificate?

• Wow

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I understand now, so it is actually that simple. I do have a birth certificate but assumed those documents I submitted would be enough since I don't use my maiden name.

Would I have to leave a gap before submitting a new application? Or can I just submit one anytime? Is it possible to appeal that I do have the birth certificate?
Apply again with your birth certificate.

Reactions: YVR123 and lyluk

ailynalfonsog

May 16, 2024
I received the same reason for rejection and applied with my birth certificate. This was the second time applying form my mother's super visa. We were re-applying since previous visa expired.
The birth certificate was the original copy in Spanish. Could that have been the issue? Does it need to be translated?

Last edited:

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020

ailynalfonsog

May 16, 2024
Thank you! I will re-apply with translated and certified birth certificate
They now also request phot "National identity document", is this something for which we should also provide translation for? Thank you in advance

lyluk

Dec 21, 2014
Thank you! I will re-apply with translated and certified birth certificate
They now also request phot "National identity document", is this something for which we should also provide translation for? Thank you in advance
I think if any document you submit is not in English or French, you should get it translated.
What is this 'National identity document' you mentioned? Where did you obtain this information? Or did they contact you asking for it? I'm going to apply for a second time too and want to ensure I give everything needed.

ailynalfonsog

May 16, 2024
This is one of the documents they are currently requesting in my application:
"A national identity document is an identity card with photo, usable as an identity card at least inside the country, and which is issued by an official authority.

For this application, the national identity document must be issued by your country of citizenship or permanent residence.

• Your identity document must show proof of status or citizenship as well as photo identification and include your name, date of birth, document number, and the issue and expiry dates.
    • If not, you must scan all necessary identity documents and save them under 1 identity document file."

zahedali

Star Member
Aug 16, 2016
This is one of the documents they are currently requesting in my application:
"A national identity document is an identity card with photo, usable as an identity card at least inside the country, and which is issued by an official authority.

For this application, the national identity document must be issued by your country of citizenship or permanent residence.

• Your identity document must show proof of status or citizenship as well as photo identification and include your name, date of birth, document number, and the issue and expiry dates.
    • If not, you must scan all necessary identity documents and save them under 1 identity document file."
Use Passport as Identity document!