+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Travelling with refugee travel document.

EddyEms

Apr 17, 2024
How long can I stay out of Canada using my travel document so that my PR application is not affected?

Christtop

Apr 24, 2024
How long can I stay out of Canada using my travel document so that my PR application is not affected?
Not advisable to stay too long because, I wonder the reason you will give to the VO when you return to Canada. The last time I travelled with the same, I spent a 1month. The VO was kind of curious about what I was doing in another country for a month's vacation. But I had a ready-made answer for him, and it was a sweet chat.

EddyEms

Apr 17, 2024
I have to visit my fiance. How long is your travel document valid for? I heard its just two years and thats the max you can stay out?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I have to visit my fiance. How long is your travel document valid for? I heard its just two years and thats the max you can stay out?
Would be very bad idea to spend 2 years out of Canada. Most countries will also only allow you to visit for a limited time on a RTD. If anything you should be establishing your life in Canada while applying for PR when you if you want to sponsor your spouse in the future.

Reactions: Mancini

Mancini

Star Member
Sep 6, 2023
Ok man go visit your fiancé but don't stay outside Canada for a long time. If you are employed and if you care about keeping your job, it won't be a good idea to spend a long time away. Maybe it is better, just a suggestion from me, to go away for let's say 3 weeks or maximum one month (if your employer allows it), then go back to your work and after few more months, let's say 7-8 months, you can go again for another visit for 2-3 weeks, and hopefully after you come back, it won't be too long before your fiancé can join you here.

This is what I have in mind will do if I hopefully will get a positive decision and get an RTD. I miss my wife and children so much, I hope that I can meet them as soon as possible, but it seems like we have to wait for a long time.

Pray for us guys.

EddyEms

Apr 17, 2024
Would be very bad idea to spend 2 years out of Canada. Most countries will also only allow you to visit for a limited time on a RTD. If anything you should be establishing your life in Canada while applying for PR when you if you want to sponsor your spouse in the future.
No I am not going to stay out for two years lol. I was just asking how long would my RTD be valid for? Is it different depwnding on the case?

EddyEms

Apr 17, 2024
Ok man go visit your fiancé but don't stay outside Canada for a long time. If you are employed and if you care about keeping your job, it won't be a good idea to spend a long time away. Maybe it is better, just a suggestion from me, to go away for let's say 3 weeks or maximum one month (if your employer allows it), then go back to your work and after few more months, let's say 7-8 months, you can go again for another visit for 2-3 weeks, and hopefully after you come back, it won't be too long before your fiancé can join you here.

This is what I have in mind will do if I hopefully will get a positive decision and get an RTD. I miss my wife and children so much, I hope that I can meet them as soon as possible, but it seems like we have to wait for a long time.

Pray for us guys.
Yes thats what I plan on doing but PR takes a long time so I dont know