+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Travelling with PR expiring within 1 month

Sehroh

Feb 15, 2024
Hi - my parents had got PR in 2019, which is expiring soon in June 2024. They have mostly lived in India since becoming PR and as such do not meet the residency requirements for PR renewal process. They are currently in India. My questions are:
1.) Can they travel back to Canada (say a week before PR expiry date)? 2.) Are they at the risk of refusing entry to Canada at port of entry - as the officer may find out that they don’t meet residency obligations for PR renewal?
3.) which one is better option :
a)
once they have arrived in Canada, they can then fill out forms to give-up their PR and in future if they want to come to Canada, they can then apply for visitor visa? OR
b
) they should give up PR by filling out forms while in India (even though their PR cards are not expired). Once done, then apply for Visitor Visa

I would really appreciate some guidance.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi - my parents had got PR in 2019, which is expiring soon in June 2024. They have mostly lived in India since becoming PR and as such do not meet the residency requirements for PR renewal process. They are currently in India. My questions are:
1.) Can they travel back to Canada (say a week before PR expiry date)? 2.) Are they at the risk of refusing entry to Canada at port of entry - as the officer may find out that they don’t meet residency obligations for PR renewal?
a)
once they have arrived in Canada, they can then fill out forms to give-up their PR and in future if they want to come to Canada, they can then apply for visitor visa? OR
b
) they should give up PR by filling out forms while in India (even though their PR cards are not expired). Once done, then apply for Visitor Visa

I would really appreciate some guidance.
1. They will not be denied entry into Canada, but the airline may have an issue with a PR card that is ready to expire. I suggest you, or they, check with the airline.

2. The CBSA officer may indeed discover that they will not meet their R.O., which could result in myriad possibilities the officer could choose, ranging from doing `nothing' to a 44(1) report being written.

3. Bad option.
If they are admitted without the 44(1) report being created, they would NOT be advised to apply for a renewed PR Card until thay have met the R.O., which would be a couple of years (after accruing at least 730 days from the previous 5 year window on the day they apply). They would be wise to remain in Canada for that duration, else face the risk of the report being written the next time they return to Canada.
Living in Canada without a valid PR Card could make life challenging for them, as it may be needed for certain services in Canada.

What are their honest intentions to move to and live in Canada? If they have none, renouncing seems like a good option.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
a)
b
Is it fair to say that they do not really want to be PRs, just travel to Canada occasionally? (Do they want to stay for much longer, i.e. more than a few months at a time?)