+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

study permit for 8 month certificate program?

isayhello

Oct 30, 2006
hi,

i'm an american girl currently living in austria interested in applying to Emily Karr's foundation arts program eventually. However, one of their suggestions for preparation is to do this certificate program through their continuing education department FIRST. I thought it might help my chances. The program itself is comprised of 5 courses, and is a part-time track where the courses are held during the year between the months of September and April. Now technically that is 8 months, but the classes individually only last for maybe 3 months at a time.

So my question is, being american i don't need a temp resident visa if i'm there for 6 months or less on a short term program. would it be more to my advantage to get no study permit, and maybe just cross the border and come back across for the final 2 months i am there?

are there even any advantages to getting a study permit in my situation? since its a part-time, continuing ed program would they even grant a proper study permit in my case?

thanks!
amanda