+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study permit extension for minor inside canada

VIDU15

Nov 29, 2022
Hi, My husband is in Canada on ICT. My minor son(5 year) old was given study permit till his US passport expired. I am looking to extend his study permit after his new passport was issued. I am so confused with applying for his extension. Would someone please guide me the process?

- Do I use my hubands GC key login that we have used to apply for PR for his extension?
- When I try and fill a study permit for my son through his login it is considering my husbands name as the applicant, how do I change that or what is the mistake I am doing?
- Can I go to Service Canada for applying for extension?

Any information will be really helpful

Thank you
Vidya

lakshmi1619

May 18, 2023
Hi, My husband is in Canada on ICT. My minor son(5 year) old was given study permit till his US passport expired. I am looking to extend his study permit after his new passport was issued. I am so confused with applying for his extension. Would someone please guide me the process?

- Do I use my hubands GC key login that we have used to apply for PR for his extension?
- When I try and fill a study permit for my son through his login it is considering my husbands name as the applicant, how do I change that or what is the mistake I am doing?
- Can I go to Service Canada for applying for extension?

Thank you
Vidya
Can you please explain process if you have gone through this. We got new passport and would like to extend her study permit(minor).

lakshmi1619

May 18, 2023
If anyone the know process, kindly please reply..I am also having similar situation now..your inputs on this is highly appreciated..thanks

lakshmi1619

May 18, 2023
What are your questions ?Unable to answer without it
My husband is in Canada on ICT(Closed work permit). My minor daughter(12 year) old was given study permit till her passport expired. We are looking to extend her study permit after receiving new passport(which we will receive in a week mostly).I am so confused with applying for her extension. Would someone please guide me the process?

Does husband need to generate GC key himself and apply for extension?
Is there any office(service Canada), can we walkin and apply there?

We never used IRCC so far as this is our first renewal/extension

BA101

Champion Member
Nov 29, 2021
My husband is in Canada on ICT(Closed work permit). My minor daughter(12 year) old was given study permit till her passport expired. We are looking to extend her study permit after receiving new passport(which we will receive in a week mostly).I am so confused with applying for her extension. Would someone please guide me the process?

Does husband need to generate GC key himself and apply for extension?
Is there any office(service Canada), can we walkin and apply there?

We never used IRCC so far as this is our first renewal/extension

Visas are always issued till Passport expiry only

What is the validity of your husband's ICT? Using that apply for a SP Ext for your daughter. Create a GC Key account and answer the questionnaire and a document checklist will be created for you. Submit everything and pay the fees. Decision on her extension application can take up to 6 months based on current processing times.

Is there any office(service Canada), can we walkin and apply there? No. Visas are through IRCC and needs to be done separately. Service Canada does not deal with Visas.

Good Luck

lakshmi1619

May 18, 2023
Visas are always issued till Passport expiry only

What is the validity of your husband's ICT? Using that apply for a SP Ext for your daughter. Create a GC Key account and answer the questionnaire and a document checklist will be created for you. Submit everything and pay the fees. Decision on her extension application can take up to 6 months based on current processing times.

Is there any office(service Canada), can we walkin and apply there? No. Visas are through IRCC and needs to be done separately. Service Canada does not deal with Visas.

Good Luck
What is the validity of your husband's ICT? His closed work permit valid till Jan-2026.
My Daughter's visa going to expire in Nov-2023

BA101

Champion Member
Nov 29, 2021
What is the validity of your husband's ICT? His closed work permit valid till Jan-2026.
My Daughter's visa going to expire in Nov-2023
Apply for a Study Permit extension citing the validity of his work permit. She would have gotten it till his WP usually but since her passport expires sooner, it is short

lakshmi1619

May 18, 2023
Apply for a Study Permit extension citing the validity of his work permit. She would have gotten it till his WP usually but since her passport expires sooner, it is short
Thank you. We have applied and uploaded the husband's work permit document. nowadays, how long will it take to get it processed? My daughter's visa is expiring on 11th Nov 2023.

BA101

Champion Member
Nov 29, 2021
Thank you. We have applied and uploaded the husband's work permit document. nowadays, how long will it take to get it processed? My daughter's visa is expiring on 11th Nov 2023.
Extensions can take 4-5 months

If she has a visa till Nov, I am not sure why you want to apply for an extension this early.

lakshmi1619

May 18, 2023
Well you can apply however soon but the application will not be picked up until close to expiry. So does not make a lot of sense to me
Ok, thanks for responding..I was not aware of this and thanks for letting me know..do we need to apply for extension just before 1 month?

BA101

Champion Member
Nov 29, 2021
Ok, thanks for responding..I was not aware of this and thanks for letting me know..do we need to apply for extension just before 1 month?
Ideally a few days before it expires is good

Are you applying yourself?. Make sure you have all documents and complete the submission

lakshmi1619

May 18, 2023
Ideally a few days before it expires is good

Are you applying yourself?. Make sure you have all documents and complete the submission
Ya we applied ourselves and uploaded all the required documents(below).
1)child new passport
2) Child existing visa document
3)Letter of acceptance from her school
4)Primary applicants visa copy
5)Primary applicants pay stubs, bank statements
6)IRCC form(mentioned on the site)
Do you see anything missing here? I really appreciate all your responses to my query..