+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse visa application (OUTLAND) and Open Work Permits

Joey-Jo

Mar 18, 2024
As I understand it, with INLAND spouse visa applications, applicants can apply for open work permits, I was wondering if this also applies to outland applicants. I am visiting my husband (in Quebec) for just under 6 months a in a couple of weeks' time. We are both expecting the application to take a long time (due to additional Quebec requirements), but would it be possible for me to apply for an OWP with IRCC while I'm there or do I have to wait until I gain PR status? I did try to google this query generally but couldn't find much info on it. We have a civil marriage, by the way, not common law or conjugal. I am from UK and have an ETA (basically a temporary visitor visa).

Thanks!

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
As I understand it, with INLAND spouse visa applications, applicants can apply for open work permits, I was wondering if this also applies to outland applicants. I am visiting my husband (in Quebec) for just under 6 months a in a couple of weeks' time. We are both expecting the application to take a long time (due to additional Quebec requirements), but would it be possible for me to apply for an OWP with IRCC while I'm there or do I have to wait until I gain PR status? I did try to google this query generally but couldn't find much info on it. We have a civil marriage, by the way, not common law or conjugal. I am from UK and have an ETA (basically a temporary visitor visa).

Thanks!
Yes, you can. After you get the AOR.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/family-sponsorship/spouse-partner-children/spouse-common-law-partner-canada-open-work-permit.html

You have to apply from within Canada. Once you're in Canada, you can apply to extend your stay as well, no need to limit to 6 months.

Reactions: YVR123 and Joey-Jo

Joey-Jo

Mar 18, 2024
Yes, you can. After you get the AOR.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/family-sponsorship/spouse-partner-children/spouse-common-law-partner-canada-open-work-permit.html

You have to apply from within Canada. Once you're in Canada, you can apply to extend your stay as well, no need to limit to 6 months.
Thank you, that's very helpful. I just wasn't sure as various websites didn't make it particularly clear whether it's just for inland visa applications only. I have the AOR.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thank you, that's very helpful. I just wasn't sure as various websites didn't make it particularly clear whether it's just for inland visa applications only. I have the AOR.
It used to be inland only. Govt introduced some changes last year on this.

Reactions: Joey-Jo

Joey-Jo

Mar 18, 2024
Oh just another quick question.. I do have a return flight ticket to UK in November, would they allow me to go back to my home country to sort out home affairs briefly and come back soon after that, or do I have to remain in Canada whilst a work permit application is being processed? Thanks very much!

Edmegbc

Star Member
Oct 11, 2023
Everytime you leave you run the risk of re-entry being denied even with an ETA. that is true of any visitor at any time. You may find the OWP comes thru before november altho there is no standard processing time for this OWP stream.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Oh just another quick question.. I do have a return flight ticket to UK in November, would they allow me to go back to my home country to sort out home affairs briefly and come back soon after that, or do I have to remain in Canada whilst a work permit application is being processed? Thanks very much!
If it's truly briefly (eg <2 weeks?) should be fine with respect to the OWP application, although re-entry can be refused (in principle). In practice it doesn't seem that they do this much, esp for ETA holders (is my impression anyway).

Joey-Jo

Mar 18, 2024
Thanks for the replies. Well at this stage I'm still regarded as a temporary visitor so I would have had to book a return flight anyway - I'm playing everything by the rules when it comes to visiting. I'll just play it by ear. Perhaps a work permit will have been approved by November, (I will apply this month when I enter Canada again), and I guess I could also alternatively apply for an extension to my visitor visa, but I need to have a backup plan in case things don't work out for any of these visas, including the spouse visa application. I will have my UK personal belongings in storage. I'm just trying to play it slightly cautious. lol

But yes I would come back (to UK) for a short period only.