+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsor Spouse with Break and Enter Charge?

cody0909

Apr 21, 2024
Can I sponsor my spouse with my break and enter charge? Maximum 10 year charge..but I only got 2 probation and a fine in 2016. The nature of the offense was that I was basically forced to break into a non dwelling house half built and attempted theft. The other guy with me got a 6 month jail but I only got 2 year probation and a fine. And I'm SOO STRESSED that I might not be admissible to sponsor my wife that I've been with for 10 years. I applied for a pardon already but won't receive that until 2028, and have a support letter from them too. Also rehabilitation from AA from alcohol which was a main cause of the offence. Also it's been over 5 years since all my fines/ probation has been done.
Please help

Joey-Jo

Star Member
Mar 18, 2024
This link might help: https://stepstojustice.ca/steps/immigration/4-learn-how-criminal-law-or-status-problems-affect-whether-you-can-be-a-sponsor/
It states:
You cannot be a sponsor if you've been convicted of:
  • a violent crime that has a maximum sentence of 10 or more years in prison, even if you get a shorter sentence or no time at all in prison,
  • a sexual offence,
  • an offence that caused bodily harm to a relative or member of your family or the family of your spouse or partner, or
  • an attempt or a threat to commit any of the above crimes.
If in doubt I would speak to an immigration lawyer, they might be able to give free advice if you go to the right one.

Last edited:

Amiah_world

Star Member
Nov 17, 2023
Can I sponsor my spouse with my break and enter charge? Maximum 10 year charge..but I only got 2 probation and a fine in 2016. The nature of the offense was that I was basically forced to break into a non dwelling house half built and attempted theft. The other guy with me got a 6 month jail but I only got 2 year probation and a fine. And I'm SOO STRESSED that I might not be admissible to sponsor my wife that I've been with for 10 years. I applied for a pardon already but won't receive that until 2028, and have a support letter from them too. Also rehabilitation from AA from alcohol which was a main cause of the offence. Also it's been over 5 years since all my fines/ probation has been done.
Please help
No u can’t, don’t even waste your money !!

cody0909

Apr 21, 2024
This link might help: https://stepstojustice.ca/steps/immigration/4-learn-how-criminal-law-or-status-problems-affect-whether-you-can-be-a-sponsor/
It states:
  • a violent crime that has a maximum sentence of 10 or more years in prison, even if you get a shorter sentence or no time at all in prison,
  • a sexual offence,
  • an offence that caused bodily harm to a relative or member of your family or the family of your spouse or partner, or
  • an attempt or a threat to commit any of the above crimes.
If in doubt I would speak to an immigration lawyer, they might be able to give free advice if you go to the right one.
That's the thing it says
a violent crime that has a maximum sentence of 10 or more years in prison, even if you get a shorter sentence or no time at all in prison,
a sexual offence,
an offence that caused bodily harm to a relative or member of your family or the family of your spouse or partner, or
an attempt or a threat to commit any of the above crimes.

But this rule does not apply if:
you have a record suspension for the offence, which used to be called a pardon, or
it's been at least 5 years since you completed your sentence.

THEN IT SAYS:
You also cannot be a sponsor if:
you're in jail, or
you're charged with a serious crime.

ISNT THE ABOVE CRIMES SERIOUS, and they would allow those criminals to sponsor if they have a record suspension or 5 years passes? They say if 5 years has passed or you have a record suspension, that rule doesn't apply. Why would they say people can't sponsor lastly if it clearly states if 5 years or pardon, they can?

Definitely talking with a consultant soon, thank you for your reply, hopefully get a answer for all of us:)