+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsor child without meeting PR residency obligation

Oct 20, 2019
Here is a proposed plan to enter Canada without valid PR cards and non compliance with PR residency obligation . Please let me know your thoughts.

My wife (who is a Canadian PR ) will enter Canada with our 2 kids via the US land border crossing (all are HK passport holders and have visa free access to Canada without eTA if entering via land by border in a private vehicle).

Best case scenario , the are allowed to enter without too many questions although my wife is sure to show up on immigration system as a PR.

If she is asked for reasons why she lived outside Canada we will state the truth and hope that the officer allows her to enter with the kids.

She will have an. H&C case ready just in case the officer asks for details and may go into the details of why she did not meet PR residency obligation.

if she is allowed to enter Canada and not reported then after a week she will see about her SIN and the process of getting it activated albeit without the physical PR card.

In case she is reported, she will return to HK with kids and we continue our life in HK as is.

If she is successful with this I plan and allowed to I remain in Canada I plan to follow the same approach after sale of my property in HK, quitting my job in HK, etc. I plan to join about a year after she and the kids have settled in.

Again at the border if I am allowed in without reporting me for non compliance then all is good and I will be in Canada for 2 years. I hope to reactivate my SIN and work and pay taxes etc whilst I remain in Canada and apply for a new PR card after I am compliant with residency obligation after 2 years.

IfI am reported , I will appeal and hopefully by the time my case is heard my wife would have completed her 2 years and will be able to sponsor me as a PR.She will also be able to sponsor the kids who will have to be on a visit visa or study visa for the duration of potentially 3 years.

Does does this sound realistic and possible ?

Thanks in advance !

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Here is a proposed plan to enter Canada without valid PR cards and non compliance with PR residency obligation . Please let me know your thoughts.

My wife (who is a Canadian PR ) will enter Canada with our 2 kids via the US land border crossing (all are HK passport holders and have visa free access to Canada without eTA if entering via land by border in a private vehicle).

Best case scenario , the are allowed to enter without too many questions although my wife is sure to show up on immigration system as a PR.

If she is asked for reasons why she lived outside Canada we will state the truth and hope that the officer allows her to enter with the kids.

She will have an. H&C case ready just in case the officer asks for details and may go into the details of why she did not meet PR residency obligation.

if she is allowed to enter Canada and not reported then after a week she will see about her SIN and the process of getting it activated albeit without the physical PR card.

In case she is reported, she will return to HK with kids and we continue our life in HK as is.

If she is successful with this I plan and allowed to I remain in Canada I plan to follow the same approach after sale of my property in HK, quitting my job in HK, etc. I plan to join about a year after she and the kids have settled in.

Again at the border if I am allowed in without reporting me for non compliance then all is good and I will be in Canada for 2 years. I hope to reactivate my SIN and work and pay taxes etc whilst I remain in Canada and apply for a new PR card after I am compliant with residency obligation after 2 years.

IfI am reported , I will appeal and hopefully by the time my case is heard my wife would have completed her 2 years and will be able to sponsor me as a PR.She will also be able to sponsor the kids who will have to be on a visit visa or study visa for the duration of potentially 3 years.

Thanks in advance !
If you are a PR you are supposed to declare so at the border. It should also come up in the computer system although I have seen cases where it hasn’t so not declaring it in advance can lead to more questions. In general Canada treats people better if they are upfront and honest versus not declaring and then getting caught. In the end nobody can predict what will happen there are way too many variables. Probably smart to send part of the family first due to the uncertainty.

missedTheGCBus

Star Member
Sep 8, 2022

Thanks in advance !
This is some plan, I stumbled on this thread while looking for some information about sponsoring my child how did it go for you OP?

FletcherHubbard

Star Member
Nov 20, 2023
If you managed to enter Canada without being reported after 10+ years outside Canada you got lucky but you should avoid any interaction with immigration until you meet your RO. Depending on where you live your children may have difficulty enrolling in school as visitors. Depends on the policy of the school district.

Last edited:
Reactions: YVR123