+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

SOWP extension

STJ92

Apr 2, 2024
Hi,

I’m currently in Canada under PGWP and working as a Software Engineer for a foreign company on remote basis. Is it possible for a PGWP holder to apply for their spouse's Open Work Permit (SOWP) extension using a job offer and pay slips from a foreign company where they are employed?

Thanks.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi,

I’m currently in Canada under PGWP and working as a Software Engineer for a foreign company on remote basis. Is it possible for a PGWP holder to apply for their spouse's Open Work Permit (SOWP) extension using a job offer and pay slips from a foreign company where they are employed?

Thanks.
No. You show Canadian employment, job letter and payslips.

Reactions: STJ92

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Ok. Thanks for the reply. Please let me know if you know any official sources where I can find more information on this.
Why would you work in Canada for a foreign company? You could have done that in your home country. And so you could have joined your spouse back home.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Open work permits for family members of work permit holders: How to apply - Canada.ca

Search and click to expend " Proof that the principal applicant is or will be working in an occupation in TEER category 0, 1, 2 or 3 of the National Occupation Classification system "

For most open work permit holders, such as those under the PGWP program or International Experience Canada, the proof should be a letter from the principal foreign worker’s current employer that shows
  • their employment details
  • their occupation
  • a description of their duties
  • the NOC or TEER category their job is classified under or a copy of the letter of offer of employment
Do you think IRCC wants a letter from your foreign employer?