+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Safe Third Country Agreement STCA

mkas1987

Jun 21, 2018
Hi ,
My brother in law got his US visitor visa last week and he is planning to come to the US . My brother in law has been living outside his home country for more than 7 years due to war conflict.
His sister (my wife) is a protected person in Canada and we got our brown paper and court decision however we are still waiting for the PR card .
If my brother in law wants to come to Canada and seek asylum in Canada by coming to the US then to Canada ? What are the steps since the implementation of the new STCA ?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi ,
My brother in law got his US visitor visa last week and he is planning to come to the US . My brother in law has been living outside his home country for more than 7 years due to war conflict.
His sister (my wife) is a protected person in Canada and we got our brown paper and court decision however we are still waiting for the PR card .
If my brother in law wants to come to Canada and seek asylum in Canada by coming to the US then to Canada ? What are the steps since the implementation of the new STCA ?
He would enter through a land border POE and let CBSA know he wants to claim asylum. He would fall under an exception to the safe third country agreement since he has a sister in Canada who has protected person status. Depending on where he has been living for the past 7 years and the nature of his basis of claim, it's possible the minister might intervene.

Note that using a US visa for this purpose will most likely mean he won't be able to re-enter the US unless / until after he becomes a Canadian citizen.

mkas1987

Jun 21, 2018
He would enter through a land border POE and let CBSA know he wants to claim asylum. He would fall under an exception to the safe third country agreement since he has a sister in Canada who has protected person status. Depending on where he has been living for the past 7 years and the nature of his basis of claim, it's possible the minister might intervene.

Note that using a US visa for this purpose will most likely mean he won't be able to re-enter the US unless / until after he becomes a Canadian citizen.
Thanks for your reply . I forget to mention that he has a wife and a kid , will they all be allowed to enter . His wife doesn’t have any relative except she will be accompanying her husband .

Any POE will be okay ! Legal or illegal ones ?

How will the US border let him go through to the Canadian border ?

can you please clarify more on the steps . Thanks