+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Requirements for Government job positions (with a Working Holiday visa)

MattMatt

Feb 2, 2024
Hi all,

I talked with staff from 'Fisheries and Oceans Canada', a federal institution, and they told me they required PR to work with them. They also told me all government jobs would require PR or Canadian citizenship.

I searched the internet, and it seems that a PR or citizenship is not required to get a government job (maybe besides being a part of police and army forces).

Can someone confirm whether I need a PR or if my Working Holiday Permit is sufficient?

Thanks

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi all,

I talked with staff from 'Fisheries and Oceans Canada', a federal institution, and they told me they required PR to work with them. They also told me all government jobs would require PR or Canadian citizenship.

I searched the internet, and it seems that a PR or citizenship is not required to get a government job (maybe besides being a part of police and army forces).

Can someone confirm whether I need a PR or if my Working Holiday Permit is sufficient?

Thanks
It depends on the level of security clearance required for that particular job. There are certainly government jobs where it's not possible to get the level of security clearance required without PR or citizenship and your county of origin can sometimes factor into this, and sometimes how long you have lived in Canada. So short answer is that this answer varies from department to department and sometimes role to role in the government. There is no blanket answer.

Reactions: Naturgrl

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
Hi all,

Thanks
Why as a foreigner do you want to work for our government? Are you a spy?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Depends on the department and job posting. But some jobs, you must be a citizen or PR due to security clearances, preferences etc. Just checked Fisheries and Oceans and to be hired as a trainee, you must be citizen or PR.

Reactions: MattMatt

MattMatt

Feb 2, 2024
Depends on the department and job posting. But some jobs, you must be a citizen or PR due to security clearances, preferences etc. Just checked Fisheries and Oceans and to be hired as a trainee, you must be citizen or PR.
That's what I thought. The government has some interesting opportunities in the education field, so I hope my WHP will suffice. Thanks for your answer!

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
That's what I thought. The government has some interesting opportunities in the education field, so I hope my WHP will suffice. Thanks for your answer!
Preference will always be given to citizen or PR. It will state that in postings. Good luck.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Hi all,

Thanks
As mentioned Citizens or PR get priority in hiring , and most times it’s mandatory to be one or the other .
The position I had , you had to be a PR / Citizen. I was dealing with SIN’s, work history , benefits . Information they won’t let someone on a work permit access .
If you are going to be accessing protected information, they won’t even touch your application
And the security screening for foreigners can take over a year .
FYI competition is high when applying . Position I applied for had over 10k in applications.
Positions are either term ( contract ) or indeterminate ( permanent). You would not get a permanent offer since you have an end date you have to stop working , and the chances of a department sponsoring you is non existent as a foreigner . The domestic pool is large enough to get applicants.

Last edited:
Reactions: Naturgrl