+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Replacement citizenship certificate

livitup

Jul 1, 2009
All,

My mother (now deceased) was a Canadian citizen (married to a US citizen) when I was born in the United States. When I was a teenager I applied for, and recieved, a citizenship certificate. Now, 20 years later, I would like to apply for a Canadian passport, but I can not find my citizenship certificate. Also, after I recieved my citizenship certificate, my mother became a naturalized US citizen.

Now for my questions:

1) Does the fact that my mother became a US citizen after I recieved my Canadian citizenship certificate change or invalidate my Canadian citizenship? (I would guess no, but...)

2) When applying for a replacement citizenship certificate, do I really need to fill in the complete application, as if starting from scratch? I am concerned, because many of the questions I can not answer, as both my parents are now deceased, and I just don't know the answers to most of the questions. Any advice?

I may just contact the Canadian embassy in Washington, but I would prefer not to ask them any questions that may lead to problems. :)

Thanks!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1. no

2. since you already had one, fill out what you can and include a cover letter saying you already had one but lost it, should do the trick.