rent a postal box

CND3A

Oct 5, 2010
Earth
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I'll be in Toronto next month,
Is it wise to rent a postal box to receive PR and other documents ????
I thing it's a safe solution until i find a place to live.
Do I need some documents other than passportand $50 or $60 to have this kind of box ????
Thank you in advance!!!!

Mary2009

Star Member
Aug 6, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I THINK for PR... they will not accept a Box...
they would need a street address.

You would better ask before you arrive, otherwise if the officer at the airport
refused to accept your card... you will have to call them later and give them a real address
(which may delay your PR card issuance).

Mary

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Mary2009 said:
I THINK for PR... they will not accept a Box...
they would need a street address.

You would better ask before you arrive, otherwise if the officer at the airport
refused to accept your card... you will have to call them later and give them a real address
(which may delay your PR card issuance).

Mary
A UPS Canada address looks like a normal address. It does not need the words "PO box", just the box number.
I know that people have used UPS boxes to receive their documents, others have stayed at a hotel after landing and left a forwarding address and a payment with the hotel (more risky IMO).

Huron

Oct 14, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I was thinking of using a UPS Canada box until I find housing, so they can send the PR card there. Can one open a bank account using a UPS Canada box as an address?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Huron said:
I was thinking of using a UPS Canada box until I find housing, so they can send the PR card there. Can one open a bank account using a UPS Canada box as an address?
You can also open a bank account with a foreign address.

sunnytwin

Star Member
Mar 23, 2011
Malaysia
Category........
Visa Office......
Kuala Lumpur
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-Aug-2010
Doc's Request.
Sent to CIO
AOR Received.
07-Dec-2010
IELTS Request
Sent to CIO
Med's Request
05-April-2011
Med's Done....
24-April-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
01-June-2011
VISA ISSUED...
07-June-2011
Baloo said:
A UPS Canada address looks like a normal address. It does not need the words "PO box", just the box number.
I know that people have used UPS boxes to receive their documents, others have stayed at a hotel after landing and left a forwarding address and a payment with the hotel (more risky IMO).
Thank you Baloo, for the tip. Certainly safer than leaving a forwarding address at a hotel. Additionally, The UPS Store is excellent for receiving ALL mails & parcels especially during the initial months when your address is not so certain.

One quick question. How do you subscribe to a mail box while still outside Canada? I was looking around the website and did not see any order/rent/pay option.....?

Cheers!

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can always provide your rented mail box address to CIC after landing, so there is no need to subscribe a mail box while still outside Canada before the landing.

qwerbilzak

Star Member
Nov 2, 2010
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-10-2010
AOR Received.
18-11-2010
Med's Request
20-04-2011
Med's Done....
11-05-2011
Passport Req..
06-06-2011
VISA ISSUED...
20-06-2011
LANDED..........
07-12-2011
steaky said:
You can always provide your rented mail box address to CIC after landing, so there is no need to subscribe a mail box while still outside Canada before the landing.
How do you get back into Canada if you don't have your PR card because it's in your PO box inside Canada? The CIC website says "This wallet-sized plastic card is required for all permanent residents of Canada seeking to re-enter Canada on a commercial carrier (airplane, boat, train or bus)."

Do you have to wait inside Canada until it arrives before you can leave, or else you get stuck outside Canada, unable to get back in because you don't have your PR card?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
qwerbilzak said:
How do you get back into Canada if you don't have your PR card because it's in your PO box inside Canada? The CIC website says "This wallet-sized plastic card is required for all permanent residents of Canada seeking to re-enter Canada on a commercial carrier (airplane, boat, train or bus)."

Do you have to wait inside Canada until it arrives before you can leave, or else you get stuck outside Canada, unable to get back in because you don't have your PR card?
It's really up to you whether you want to wait inside Canada until it arrives before you leave, or you can apply at prtd from any canadian consulate outside canada for re-entry to the country without valid pr card.

qwerbilzak

Star Member
Nov 2, 2010
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-10-2010
AOR Received.
18-11-2010
Med's Request
20-04-2011
Med's Done....
11-05-2011
Passport Req..
06-06-2011
VISA ISSUED...
20-06-2011
LANDED..........
07-12-2011
steaky said:
It's really up to you whether you want to wait inside Canada until it arrives before you leave, or you can apply at prtd from any canadian consulate outside canada for re-entry to the country without valid pr card.
Ok, interesting. Thanks. Seems like a crazy system, but it's the system we have!

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Renting a postal box, also called a P.O. box, offers a secure and separate mailing address. To get one, visit your local post office or a private mailbox provider, fill out an application, provide ID, and pay a rental fee. Boxes come in different sizes for varied mailing needs. Additionally, custom boxes can be arranged through certain providers for specific shipping or packaging requirements.
Go away, spambot.