+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Renew PR card outside Canada, with citizenship spouse

ruolin.sun

Nov 19, 2018
Hi All,
I am Canadian citizen and my wife is Chinese citizen, who has a valid PR card but will expire soon.
We both moved to USA 2 years ago for work reasons, and do plan to go back Canada in near future.
I did some research and card can be renewed only inside Canada. But with my wife's case, at the point we go back, card should expire already, does that mean she has to apply for a temporary visitor visa and then renew card in Canada?
Also i see some also says if she has been with me all the time, these 2 years in USA still counts as she eligible for the 730-day rule, for eligibility of the renewal, is that true?

A little confused to me. Any answer would be appreciated!
Thank you,

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Hi All,
I am Canadian citizen and my wife is Chinese citizen, who has a valid PR card but will expire soon.
We both moved to USA 2 years ago for work reasons, and do plan to go back Canada in near future.
I did some research and card can be renewed only inside Canada. But with my wife's case, at the point we go back, card should expire already, does that mean she has to apply for a temporary visitor visa and then renew card in Canada?
Also i see some also says if she has been with me all the time, these 2 years in USA still counts as she eligible for the 730-day rule, for eligibility of the renewal, is that true?

Thank you,
Main thing is to read the guide for making a PR card application here:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5445-applying-permanent-resident-card-card-first-application-replacement-renewal-change-gender-identifier.html

That should answer most of your questions. See in particular the appendix and information about RO credit for days a PR is accompanying their Canadian citizen spouse outside Canada.

PR status does NOT expire. Only the PR card expired. As a PR, your spouse is entitled to enter Canada.

However, your spouse cannot fly to Canada with an expired PR card. Your spouse can drive to the border and will be allowed to enter Canada upon presenting proof of identity and PR status. Home country passport plus expired PR card will suffice. Or, copy of CoPR. Even just the passport will work so long as border officials can identify your spouse as a PR in the GCMS system.

There is actually no need to renew the PR card anytime soon. A PR does not need a valid PR card except for flying to Canada from abroad. Probably a good idea to renew it before actually returning to Canada to live in order to have a valid PR card to present when applying for provincial health care coverage (after return to Canada to reside).

The PR only needs to make claim for RO credit based on accompanying a spouse who is a Canadian citizen if they have been outside Canada for more than 1095 days during the preceding five years.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Hi All,

Thank you,
She needs to apply for PRTD not visitor visa.