+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Registering a Business Name Before Arriving?

ChristyandRob

Mar 26, 2010
Nova Scotia, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Berlin
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-03-2010
File Transfer...
23-04-2010
Med's Done....
19-02-2010
Passport Req..
09-06-2010
VISA ISSUED...
17-06-2010
LANDED..........
01-10-2010
We're starting up a business in Nova Scotia when we arrive in a few weeks. We've already got a business address lined up for when we get there. We know there are several steps to registering a business, the first of which is to do a name search, followed by the registration itself.

I think we can do provincial / federal name search before we arrive, but is it possible to do the business registration itself before we get there? We'd like to start getting business lined up for our planned company before / as soon as we arrive, but can't until we're officially registered.

Any advice much appreciated. :)

jerry2121

Star Member
Nov 1, 2008
Hi, I'll be interested to know the steps in registering ur company. Personal business is on my mind. Please share ur info with me on how to register a business name in Ontario when u find out. thanks...

Jonboy

Star Member
Sep 10, 2010
White Rock, BC
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
29-07-1999
ChristyandRob said:
We're starting up a business in Nova Scotia when we arrive in a few weeks. We've already got a business address lined up for when we get there. We know there are several steps to registering a business, the first of which is to do a name search, followed by the registration itself.

I think we can do provincial / federal name search before we arrive, but is it possible to do the business registration itself before we get there? We'd like to start getting business lined up for our planned company before / as soon as we arrive, but can't until we're officially registered.

Any advice much appreciated. :)
As you say, you can research and register a business name from abroad. In BC you must have a BC address for your records office when you incorporate. I imagine NS is the same. As you already have this organized you should be OK.

shaaz9

Oct 7, 2010
i am sure u are an experienced Business man now.. its been almost 10 year snow :)
i want to start a wedding photography Business .. can you please guid eme what to do and any other details i have to consider without wasting my time after arrival...?

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
shaaz9 said:
i am sure u are an experienced Business man now.. its been almost 10 year snow :)
i want to start a wedding photography Business .. can you please guid eme what to do and any other details i have to consider without wasting my time after arrival...?
I would warn you of this - You need to research the area that you want to live in, there are some towns with more "wedding photographers" than you can imagine.
In these places the rates being paid for the local "wedding photographers" are quite low.

ChristyandRob

Mar 26, 2010
Nova Scotia, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Berlin
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-03-2010
File Transfer...
23-04-2010
Med's Done....
19-02-2010
Passport Req..
09-06-2010
VISA ISSUED...
17-06-2010
LANDED..........
01-10-2010
Just to give an update on this, my other half and I decided to use a business registration consultancy to help us set up our business in Nova Scotia before we arrived. For the most part they were pretty good and didn't charge us too much in fees. When we got here and were sorting out a business loan, our lawyer told us that although the legal stuff that the consultancy put together was fine, they added some standard clauses that weren't really relevant in Nova Scotia. The lawyer fixed this up for us - not a big deal but we preferred to have everything standardised according to Nova Scotia regulations.

Getting the business set up before we arrived saved us time when we got here - it meant we could start promoting the business, set up a website etc. even before we arrived in Canada.

I agree with one of the other posters here that you really need to research the location (province as well as town), chosen industry and competitors before you set up.

Reactions: Remy Nigeria