+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Public School job offer and LMIA

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
The job offer did say I must have certification. the school not only posted the job in Manitoba , but also in the whole Canada . The school is located at God's Lake , where there has been a shortage of qualified teacher.
So if you don’t have certification then how can they apply for a LMIA and hire you without certification? They need to apply for a LMIA and prove no licensed teacher could be hired. And then why can’t they hire non licensed teachers who are PR/Canadians? Why are you the only person who can do the job? You are in a catch 22. Is the school board paying for a filing for a LMIA.

Last edited:

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
I have received a job offer from a first nation school in Manitoba after an interview and I've also received a letter of eligibility of teaching certificate in Manitoba.
After I received a work permit , then I can apply for a valid Manitoba teaching certificate using the letter of eligibility.
My question , how am I going to get a LMIA . Some people say that public school board will not give you a LMIA and anybody knows why is that ?
I've just sent an email to talk about LMIA with the school board . Still waiting a reply . Anyone has relevant knowledge ? Your assistance would be appreciated. Thank you !
It’s not how you are going to get an LMIA. It’s if or how the school board would get one . And it states when you obtain a work permit . They have to start the process of getting a LMIA , then if it’s positive, you get a work permit . You didn’t pay any money in the course of this , have you ?

Jun 21, 2022
So if you don’t have certification then how can they apply for a LMIA and hire you without certification? They need to apply for a LMIA and prove no licensed teacher could be hired. And then why can’t they hire non licensed teachers who are PR/Canadians? Why are you the only person who can do the job? You are in a catch 22. Is the school board paying for a filing for a LMIA.
[/QUOTE
I have a letter of eligibility from Manitoba teacher certification Unit , which stated that I meet all academic requirements of a Manitoba teaching certificate. However , I need a valid work visa first . After I send a photocopy of a valid work visa , then the Unit will transfer my letter into a valid teaching certificate . So this is how it works in Manitoba. In the British Columbia , they would send you a teaching certificate directly if you meet all requirements .
As for why I am the one they need , I think one reason could be that they really cannot find qualified teacher up North in First Nation reserve. And my awards and credentials in my teaching career could be another reason why they need a teacher like myself . In addition ,as a physical education , I can operate different after-school sports activities like soccer , track and filed and basketball. So , basically I think those are reasons why the school would tell the government that I am the only person they need. I do not know what is a catch 22 . And of course the school board will pay that 1000 dollars for filing a LMIA.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
So if school board is willing to file for LMIA then all you can do is wait. You say they are willing to pay the $1k. Then once LMIA is approved, you apply for a closed work permit. The issue will be if your WP is approved because certification/license is required to do the job. All the best.

Jun 21, 2022
So if school board is willing to file for LMIA then all you can do is wait. You say they are willing to pay the $1k. Then once LMIA is approved, you apply for a closed work permit. The issue will be if your WP is approved because certification/license is required to do the job. All the best.
Yes , and the $1K has to be paid by all the employer , if they want to hire a foreign worker. As for the WP , it is something that I should explain in detail to the VO. Thank you !

Jun 21, 2022
It’s not how you are going to get an LMIA. It’s if or how the school board would get one . And it states when you obtain a work permit . They have to start the process of getting a LMIA , then if it’s positive, you get a work permit . You didn’t pay any money in the course of this , have you ?
I did't pay any money .