+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Provincial Residency Requirements for Citizenship

Hasin2

Sep 10, 2009
Hello,

I have been doing a lot of research on my application for Canadian Citizenship and I have learned that some people applying form a certain province get their citizenship a lot faster than others. I recently moved to Alberta from Ontario and I have just learned that processing your citizenship from Alberta (Fort McMurray) could take a VERY LONG time compared to applying from Hamilton or London, Ontario.

So my question is that could I possibly apply for my citizenship from Ontario ( use my sisters or a friends address) as my current address and go through the whole process from there while I am in Alberta and would it be a problem if I applied from Ontario and the two forms of photo ID I use are my Alberta Operators License (with an Alberta Address) and my old Passport?

Are there any ramifications for doing this?

I really don't want to apply from Alberta, especially from Fort McMurray, because I have seen how long it is taking my sister (4.5 months and they haven't even opened her application) and I know how fast things can go from Ontario because my dad got his citizenship in 6 months in Ontario.

I am completely finished with my application I just need to know what to do about this issue before I send it off. I don't want any problems that will delay the process but I also don't want it to take as long as it seems it would take.

I would really appreciate any help.

Thanks in Advance,

Hassan