+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Proof of Residency for PR Renewal

PK99

Feb 7, 2024
Hi everybody,

Will my wife need proof of a physical residence in Canada to renew her PR card? We are hoping to relocate to Asia for a few years while retaining her current PR status … she will meet the required 1095 days in Canada and will return to submit the renewal application in 2025. But at that point we would not be renting an apartment here … any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

PK99

Feb 7, 2024
Back again ... since posting I have since discovered Appendix A of the Guide IMM 5445 so hopefully we'll be okay with maintaining a bank account and another document (drivers license?). I'd still welcome any related advice!

Supporting documents showing that you meet the residency obligation
  • You must provide copies of 2 pieces of evidence that can show residency in Canada in the five (5) years immediately before the application, such as:
    • employment records or pay stubs;
    • bank statements;
    • Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) Notice of Assessment for the five (5) years immediately before the application
    • evidence that you received benefits from Canadian government programs;
    • rental agreements;
    • club memberships;
    • or any other documents that prove you met your residency obligation.
Do not send original documents, as they will not be returned to you.

Besram

Jun 13, 2019
I don't fully understand what you want to do.

How long has your wife lived in Canada? Are you a Canadian citizen? When are you planning on leaving, and for how long?

PK99

Feb 7, 2024
Yes, let me add … My wife has been a PR for 20 years and is on the 2nd year of her current PR card. And yes, I’m a Canadian citizen. We are hoping to leave at the start of 2025 for 5 years so she’ll have to renew during that period …

Besram

Jun 13, 2019
For the time period that your wife is actually resident in Canada (i.e. before you leave), use any of the two documents above.

If your wife applies for PR card renewal in 2025 and she meets the residency obligation by then, nothing else is required.

Since you are a Canadian citizen and your wife will join you, this rule (second paragraph) may also apply, but again you may not need to rely on it in 2025 if your wife hasn't been out of Canada for more than 3 years by the time she applies for PR card renewal.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
If your wife applies for PR card renewal in 2025 and she meets the residency obligation by then, nothing else is required.

Since you are a Canadian citizen and your wife will join you, this rule (second paragraph) may also apply, but again you may not need to rely on it in 2025 if your wife hasn't been out of Canada for more than 3 years by the time she applies for PR card renewal.
One qualification: one can only apply to renew card nine months before the one held expires, and @PK99 said the spouse is two years in on current card.

And we shall see when time comes to renew if already living outside Canada, but renewing card from abroad technically doens't work (have to apply from within Canada) and how they approach renewals for those 'visiting' (i.e. filing to renew when fairly clearly not living in Canada) is not always clear.

(I guess that's two qualifications.)

Anyway not trying to complicate things too much, agree overall.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Good points - that “visiting” catch is the big concern.
Well, to add a 'yes, but' from the other side:
-for someone not residing in Canada, arguably the 'correct' document is a PRTD (basically a visa stuck in passport that serves the purpose of letting one travel back).

And I think the overall impression / reports back from others in similar situations is that IRCC is not really playing games with issuing PRTDs (reasonable tenor like 1-2 years) to spouses of citizens who have (truly) accompanied their spouses abroad. So it's not really something to worry about if your explanation above is accurate of your plans.

(The 'truly' caveat is a bit of a question mark, but seems to primarily come up for PRs who basically never settled nor resided in Canada. A lot of ink spilt in this forum on that topic, I don't feel like re-capping).

PK99

Feb 7, 2024
Well, to add a 'yes, but' from the other side:
-for someone not residing in Canada, arguably the 'correct' document is a PRTD (basically a visa stuck in passport that serves the purpose of letting one travel back).

And I think the overall impression / reports back from others in similar situations is that IRCC is not really playing games with issuing PRTDs (reasonable tenor like 1-2 years) to spouses of citizens who have (truly) accompanied their spouses abroad. So it's not really something to worry about if your explanation above is accurate of your plans.

(The 'truly' caveat is a bit of a question mark, but seems to primarily come up for PRs who basically never settled nor resided in Canada. A lot of ink spilt in this forum on that topic, I don't feel like re-capping).
Noted, thanks. And I'll try to go back through related posts on the forum to fully understand different scenarios that people have worked through (although yes, the explanation above is our current plan).

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Noted, thanks. And I'll try to go back through related posts on the forum to fully understand different scenarios that people have worked through (although yes, the explanation above is our current plan).
I don't think you need to wrroy about it so much at this point. There's a lot of noise about what 'accompanying' means but seems to be an edge case issue for those whose 'files' have other issues (eg PR has basically not resided in Canada).

That said good to be aware of issues.

As I noted, everyone wants the PR card, but overall the PRTD is an appropriate document to serve the intended purpose (ability to travel to Canada).

Besram

Jun 13, 2019
As far as I am ware, as long as your wife is in Canada when renewing the PR card and she fulfils all the other requirements, there should not be an issue. What could happen though is that she will be asked to pick up the card in person, which might obviously be a big hassle.

@armoured is correct in that the Canadian government would prefer for you to apply for a PRTD when living abroad, but I seem to remember a number of threads where PRs accompanying their citizen spouses abroad successfully applied for a PR card while visiting Canada. A forum search should hopefully surface these.

Reactions: PK99 and armoured