+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR card renewal/RO not met/ Temporary PR card

movnorth

Apr 20, 2024
Hi All,

I would really reallly appreciate any pointers from this amazing forum!

I have a PR card expiring end of May '24 and have not met the RO(3 months total in last 5 years). I plan to enter Canada via the US land border ideally before my card expires. I am aware that I may be reported in which case I plan to appeal on H&C grounds. I'm not sure if I would qualify for renewal on H&C. However, I would still like to try. My main concern is travel mobility. I plan to live in Canada until a decision is made however I may need to leave the country for short visits.

Assuming I am reported, and I appeal, I want to be able to live in Canada until a decision comes through.

l would like to have the ability to travel outside Canada. Does anyone have experience with a temporary PR card that would allow travel? How do I get this PR card and how long does it take to get this temp PR card? Can I leave Canada before the temp PR card arrives and return once it arrives?

Thanks so much in advance!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi All,

I have a **lot** of questions and would really reallly appreciate any pointers from this amazing forum!

I have a PR card expiring end of May '24 and have not met the RO(3 months total in last 5 years). I plan to enter Canada via the US land border ideally before my card expires. I am aware that I may be reported in which case I plan to appeal on H&C grounds. I'm not sure if I would qualify for renewal on H&C. However, I would still like to try. My main concern is travel mobility. I plan to live in Canada until a decision is made however I may need to leave the country for short visits.

What is the best way to ensure I can live in Canada until a decision comes through for my appeal without limiting my ability to travel outside Canada?

Thanks!
There's really no way to do this.

If you are reported at the border and have to go through the appeal process, then you want to remain in Canada without leaving while you wait for the appeal process to play out.

If you leave, returning to Canada will be challenging and you'll significantly weaken your H&C case.

movnorth

Apr 20, 2024
There's really no way to do this.

If you are reported at the border and have to go through the appeal process, then you want to remain in Canada without leaving while you wait for the appeal process to play out.

If you leave, returning to Canada will be challenging and you'll significantly weaken your H&C case.
thank you so much! I was told that once I have a temporary PR card(I believe it is issued for a year while the appeal is pending), I can leave the country and come back(very short visits). I plan to establish myself through work and other means but I do need the travel mobility.

I just don't know how long it would take to get the temp PR card.

dallasboy

Star Member
Mar 11, 2016
Toronto, ON
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
11-MAR-2016
Doc's Request.
18-APR-2016
AOR Received.
11-MAR-2016
Med's Request
22-MAR-2016
Med's Done....
06-APR-2016
Passport Req..
08-09-2016
VISA ISSUED...
09-09-2016
LANDED..........
01-12-2016
Yes, in case the decision regarding the RO was made by an officer outside Canada, the PR Card validaty may be reduced to 1 year if there is an appeal pending. PR status is worth much more than saving few hundred dollars so I would strongly recommend you get in touch with an experience immigration lawyer. If I were you, I wouldn't leave Canada unless the reason for travel is more important than having a Canada PR (for example, I wouldn't think much about PR if I have to leave for well being of my parents for an example).
Here are some links to help you:
https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/sor-2002-227/section-54.html
https://irb-cisr.gc.ca/en/legal-policy/legal-concepts/Documents/RoaAmr03_e.pdf (Read the whole guide but make sure to see pages 4, 12,13)

Last edited: