Montreal -> Vancouver
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
04-12-2018
AOR Received.
04-12-2018
Med's Done....
14-01-2019
I applied my husband's PR card renewal application online on Feb. 13, 2024 and on February 21, 2024 I received an email from IRCC that his Driver's License is not updated one (We attached the old mistakenly). Then we uploaded the New/Current Driver's License with the application on same day (February 21, 2024). His application status is showing submitted. Today is April 18, 2024 but we didn't receive any update yet.

IRCC website PR card renewal processing time is showing 57 Days.

Is there anyone who applied for the PR card renewal online and took this much time? Please reply if anyone knows anything.
From what I understand, processing time follows business days, excluding holidays. Our timelines are similar; I submitted mine on Feb 23rd. So theoretically, if everything progresses smoothly, we should expect to hear something by mid-May or receive the card directly in the mail. However, as others have mentioned, there's the possibility of not receiving updates due to IRCC's unpredictable nature.

As for your husband, when does his current card expire?

jparasu

Oct 2, 2016
Adding one more data.

Applicant 1# -
Online Application - March 4th
Inspect turn to complete - March 20th
Physical card delivery - March 27th

Applicant 2#
Online Application - March 15th
Inspect turn to complete - March 28th
Still waiting on Applicant 2's PR card, it's quite frustrating. I have submitted webform for urgent processing and I have to travel for work and it's been a week already, no sign of the application moving forward. Can't view the status in ECAS , linking to GC key just show status of the initial PR card not the renewal application.

Last edited:

sarika_sk

Apr 19, 2024
I submit a PR card renewal online application for my husband on 17 Jan, 2024. It's showing submitted that's all. Even I didn't receive any confirmation email. :oops:
Did You Receive your PR?

Even I have submitted my PR renewal last week but no reply , no status changed. and I have the expiry at July2024. only 2 months I have. so more worried..

Kaur1991

Jan 21, 2022
From what I understand, processing time follows business days, excluding holidays. Our timelines are similar; I submitted mine on Feb 23rd. So theoretically, if everything progresses smoothly, we should expect to hear something by mid-May or receive the card directly in the mail. However, as others have mentioned, there's the possibility of not receiving updates due to IRCC's unpredictable nature.

As for your husband, when does his current card expire?
Thank you for your replay.
I have seen couple of messages in 'CanadaVisaForum' people have mentioned that their PR renewal applications approved with in days after they applied online.
My husband's PR card has already been expired in Feb.2024 the day before I submitted his PR card renewal application.

Kaur1991

Jan 21, 2022
Hi,

Not to sound discouraging but I applied my PR card renewal in Dec 2023. There is no update on it as yet. No emails. I am not able to link it on IRCC website. Status still shows as "Submitted" on the PR portal.

Thank you for your reply. It sounds like you submitted a paper application. I guess webform is a good option to send a reminder in the application.

Webform Link : IRCC Webform (cic.gc.ca)

linoleum

Apr 20, 2024
Online application for PR card renewal (Selected not urgent, my card expired in early March, no excessive travel history.)
Submitted on March 27, 2024.
Received the new card on April 19, 2024.
Never received AOR, status was never updated on the online platform (still shows the same "Submitted" status).
I didn't call them, and I didn't link my application to the tracker as I didn't have a UCI for this application...

Good luck everyone, hope you'll also receive your cards soon. :)

Reactions: tuhadapeo

helenwzr

Aug 1, 2021
Can someone know if inspect turn into complete means they mailed the card?
Submit online: March 05
Turn to complete (in inspect mode): March 20
Mark today April 21
It's 47 days
I know it's still within their est. processing time and it could take 6 weeks to receive the card, but I lost track of the application. So I'm a bit panic.
I don't get my card and my GC key cannot be linked. When I search my application, it will link back to my 1st PR card application.

tuhadapeo

Jul 20, 2017
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Montreal -> Vancouver
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
04-12-2018
AOR Received.
04-12-2018
Med's Done....
14-01-2019
Mark today April 21
It's 47 days
I know it's still within their est. processing time and it could take 6 weeks to receive the card, but I lost track of the application. So I'm a bit panic.
I don't get my card and my GC key cannot be linked. When I search my application, it will link back to my 1st PR card application.

No, it doesn't necessarily mean your card is mailed. It likely means your application is progressing. If you linked your original PR card application in GC key, check its status there. Usually, the older card would say "invalid" or something similar, indicating that your new card is either being printed or on its way. Check this forum someone had stated that previously.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Mark today April 21
It's 47 days
Odds are the application has gone into a queue to be handled in the same processing stream as mailed-in applications, such that a processing agent will open and begin actually processing the application around five to six weeks or so (based on currently published processing time, which is 57 days, for PR card renewal) after the date it was made.

Most PR card applications, those not subject to non-routine processing, are processed when opened; if not immediately approved, they are generally approved within a few days, or a week or two. Followed by the logistical time for printing and mailing the card (three to six week generally).

In particular, as best we can figure out, if an online application is not approved within a few days of being submitted, it will go into a queue to be opened and processed in the same order as mailed in applications.

In other words, do not expect to see decision made or the application approved until around 55 or so days after the date it was submitted.

Explanation and a Whole Lot of FWIW, FWII (For Who is Interested) Observations:

As discussed numerous times in this forum, online applications are most likely initially "processed" electronically, first screened to determine if the application is eligible for automated decision-making, and if it is eligible then subject to triage screening categorizing the application's level of complexity. This is all done electronically.

Only low complex applications will benefit from the automated decision-making process. We see the results of this, online applications which are approved through the automated decision-making process, in many anecdotal reports from PRs indicating their online application has been approved within just days of making the application. These PRs generally receive their new PR cards within three to six weeks of making their application.

Online applications which are not eligible for automated decision-making, and those which are eligible for automated decision-making but categorized in the triage as any more complex than low, go into a queue to be opened and processed in the same order as mailed in applications.

This probably (information about the particular procedures in this process have not yet been disseminated, at least not widely enough to be generally known) means that the online application that does not get approved through automated decision-making is basically in a before-AOR status, waiting to be opened and logged in, very similarly to mailed-in applications. Thus, there is no application file opened for it, again until it is opened to be processed by an IRCC official.

Complexity Categorizations:

We do not know the criteria employed in the triage determining how complex a PR card application is.

I am not even sure of what the levels of complexity are; the automated decision-making pilot projects which IRCC has published information about, in regards to other types of applications, categorized applications as low, medium, or high complex. And again, only those categorized as low complex were then processed through automated decision-making (incorporating many of the various elements of AI, including machine-learning).

That said, no advanced degrees in bureaucratic decision-making necessary to have a general sense of what factors or circumstances will influence the triage. In particular, many of the factors or circumstances that will cause a PR card application to be categorized as high-level complex are easily discerned; this would include things like significant discrepancies in the information provided by the PR, significant deviations between the travel history reported and other information, perhaps including the CBSA travel history, among other readily recognizable risk factors.

Many might anticipate, much as I did, that among the factors likely to cause the PR card application to be at least a medium level of complex (and thus not given automated decision-making), would be not just cutting-it-close in regards to Residency Obligation compliance (which would be in-Canada days totaling less than 900, as that would mean the PR is outside Canada more than IN Canada), but cutting-it-close by a very small margin (as in just barely a day or so more than 730 days in Canada). However, there has been at least one or two anecdotal reports from PRs who made online applications with barely a day or so more than 730 claiming to have gotten approval within a few days of making the online application. So, assuming the veracity of these anecdotal reports, it appears that cutting-it-close does not, not in it-self, preclude categorizing the application as low complex and getting the benefit of automated decision-making.

Speculating some, my sense is that applications by PRs relying on credit for days outside Canada (such as those accompanying a Canadian citizen spouse abroad) are likely NOT going to categorized as low level complex.

Applications by PRs relying on H&C relief for a failure to meet the RO, in contrast, are most likely high complex, and not only unlikely to benefit from automated decision-making but probably referred into a non-routine processing stream.

There is little direct corroboration, but I am quite confident that however it is assessed, that if the information included in what is considered suggests the PR is NOT permanently settled in Canada, that likely means a more complex categorization; indeed, depending on the PR's history and pattern in time periods IN Canada, my sense is this factor can have a big impact in whether a PR card application is referred to non-routine processing (which would mean a processing timeline well in excess of the current timelines posted by IRCC).

Fantinho Pereira

Sep 26, 2019
Odds are the application has gone into a queue to be handled in the same processing stream as mailed-in applications, such that a processing agent will open and begin actually processing the application around five to six weeks or so (based on currently published processing time, which is 57 days, for PR card renewal) after the date it was made.

Most PR card applications, those not subject to non-routine processing, are processed when opened; if not immediately approved, they are generally approved within a few days, or a week or two. Followed by the logistical time for printing and mailing the card (three to six week generally).

In particular, as best we can figure out, if an online application is not approved within a few days of being submitted, it will go into a queue to be opened and processed in the same order as mailed in applications.

In other words, do not expect to see decision made or the application approved until around 55 or so days after the date it was submitted.

Explanation and a Whole Lot of FWIW, FWII (For Who is Interested) Observations:

As discussed numerous times in this forum, online applications are most likely initially "processed" electronically, first screened to determine if the application is eligible for automated decision-making, and if it is eligible then subject to triage screening categorizing the application's level of complexity. This is all done electronically.

Only low complex applications will benefit from the automated decision-making process. We see the results of this, online applications which are approved through the automated decision-making process, in many anecdotal reports from PRs indicating their online application has been approved within just days of making the application. These PRs generally receive their new PR cards within three to six weeks of making their application.

Online applications which are not eligible for automated decision-making, and those which are eligible for automated decision-making but categorized in the triage as any more complex than low, go into a queue to be opened and processed in the same order as mailed in applications.

This probably (information about the particular procedures in this process have not yet been disseminated, at least not widely enough to be generally known) means that the online application that does not get approved through automated decision-making is basically in a before-AOR status, waiting to be opened and logged in, very similarly to mailed-in applications. Thus, there is no application file opened for it, again until it is opened to be processed by an IRCC official.

Complexity Categorizations:

We do not know the criteria employed in the triage determining how complex a PR card application is.

I am not even sure of what the levels of complexity are; the automated decision-making pilot projects which IRCC has published information about, in regards to other types of applications, categorized applications as low, medium, or high complex. And again, only those categorized as low complex were then processed through automated decision-making (incorporating many of the various elements of AI, including machine-learning).

That said, no advanced degrees in bureaucratic decision-making necessary to have a general sense of what factors or circumstances will influence the triage. In particular, many of the factors or circumstances that will cause a PR card application to be categorized as high-level complex are easily discerned; this would include things like significant discrepancies in the information provided by the PR, significant deviations between the travel history reported and other information, perhaps including the CBSA travel history, among other readily recognizable risk factors.

Many might anticipate, much as I did, that among the factors likely to cause the PR card application to be at least a medium level of complex (and thus not given automated decision-making), would be not just cutting-it-close in regards to Residency Obligation compliance (which would be in-Canada days totaling less than 900, as that would mean the PR is outside Canada more than IN Canada), but cutting-it-close by a very small margin (as in just barely a day or so more than 730 days in Canada). However, there has been at least one or two anecdotal reports from PRs who made online applications with barely a day or so more than 730 claiming to have gotten approval within a few days of making the online application. So, assuming the veracity of these anecdotal reports, it appears that cutting-it-close does not, not in it-self, preclude categorizing the application as low complex and getting the benefit of automated decision-making.

Speculating some, my sense is that applications by PRs relying on credit for days outside Canada (such as those accompanying a Canadian citizen spouse abroad) are likely NOT going to categorized as low level complex.

Applications by PRs relying on H&C relief for a failure to meet the RO, in contrast, are most likely high complex, and not only unlikely to benefit from automated decision-making but probably referred into a non-routine processing stream.

There is little direct corroboration, but I am quite confident that however it is assessed, that if the information included in what is considered suggests the PR is NOT permanently settled in Canada, that likely means a more complex categorization; indeed, depending on the PR's history and pattern in time periods IN Canada, my sense is this factor can have a big impact in whether a PR card application is referred to non-routine processing (which would mean a processing timeline well in excess of the current timelines posted by IRCC).
Very Insightful.

tuhadapeo

Jul 20, 2017
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Montreal -> Vancouver
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
04-12-2018
AOR Received.
04-12-2018
Med's Done....
14-01-2019
Hi All - Came home to a surprise in the mail. Sharing my application story below.

• Application: Submitted a non-urgent application online on February 23rd, current card expiring in Nov 2024.
  • Supporting Documents: Provided the last two years' NOAs and submitted bank statements for a randomly selected month from each of the two years, matching the NOAs.
  • Background: Had extensive travel during the eligibility period, including multiple day trips to the US. Did not include day trips but disclosed any trips lasting longer than a day.
Received the new card in the mail today, April 22nd. No updates on the online portal, unable to link via GC Key, or view status on CAS. Called once to obtain the application number but unable to link it or view status using it till date. Happy to answer if there are any questions. Good luck to those who are waiting.

Last edited:
Reactions: armoured