+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP expiring and applied for a new student visa

MiguelADav

Apr 13, 2024
Hello, I have a couple of questions. My PGWP will be expiring in about 11 weeks, last week I finished my application for a new student permit. I have not provided my biometrics and the closest appointment I was able to get was for a week and a half for now. Does the 12 week wait time for the student permit start after submitting biometrics? can I stay in Canada with implied status as I have applied for a new student permit or do I need to change my status to a visitor? And will my work permit expiring before a decision is made affect my application as I applied inside of Canada?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
So assume you have PAL (if required). 12 week wait time may start from when you applied or from biometrics. Processing is when most will be processed. If work permit is expiring, you don’t want to lose status so look at changing status to visitor before expiry. You cannot work until start of new program.

Reactions: MiguelADav

MiguelADav

Apr 13, 2024
So assume you have PAL (if required). 12 week wait time may start from when you applied or from biometrics. Processing is when most will be processed. If work permit is expiring, you don’t want to lose status so look at changing status to visitor before expiry. You cannot work until start of new program.
Hey! Thanks for the reply
Because I currently hold a PGWP I am exempt from the PAL, that’s why i was wondering if my work permit espires before the decision is made if that will impact the decision as I will no longer have a valid work permit.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hey! Thanks for the reply
Because I currently hold a PGWP I am exempt from the PAL, that’s why i was wondering if my work permit espires before the decision is made if that will impact the decision as I will no longer have a valid work permit.
You must maintain status so change status to visitor. Once work permit expires, stop working. You cannot work until study permit is approved and your new program starts. Assume you can show funds for tuition and living expenses.

Reactions: MiguelADav

MiguelADav

Apr 13, 2024
You must maintain status so change status to visitor. Once work permit expires, stop working. You cannot work until study permit is approved and your new program starts. Assume you can show funds for tuition and living expenses.
Hey! yes the application for my student permit has been fully submitted I am waiting just to give my biometrics, my tuition has been payed as school requested a down payment and I paid full year plus I have full proof of funds. I’m just waiting to give my biometrics. My concern is that I am currently exempt from a PAL as I have a valid work permit but my work permit might expire before the decision is made. I am also aware I can’t work anymore once my PGWP is expired and I can’t start working until beginning of term.
once again thanks for all the info.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hey! yes the application for my student permit has been fully submitted I am waiting just to give my biometrics, my tuition has been payed as school requested a down payment and I paid full year plus I have full proof of funds. I’m just waiting to give my biometrics. My concern is that I am currently exempt from a PAL as I have a valid work permit but my work permit might expire before the decision is made. I am also aware I can’t work anymore once my PGWP is expired and I can’t start working until beginning of term.
once again thanks for all the info.
So don’t lose status. Extend status as visitor. May I ask how long is program? And why you started another program?

MiguelADav

Apr 13, 2024
So don’t lose status. Extend status as visitor. May I ask how long is program? And why you started another program?
It’s a 4 year program Buisness Admin. I took the program as I am no longer interested in what I originally took and doing Business admin in Canada will provide a competitive advantage when I try to find a job back home.

Reactions: Naturgrl