+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP and SOWP extension

darpan1041

Jan 15, 2016
Hello everyone
I need some advice on PGWP SOWP extension
My wife (student) is working in a dental lab since Sept 23, and has also completed her internship (last term of her studies) there. By April end she will get her completion certificate to proceed for application of PGWP.
The employment offer letter she got in September 2023 during joining, is that valid while applying for SOWP extension after she applies for PGWP?
Or she needs to ask for a new offer letter (after graduation) from employer.
And the PGWP application for spouse(me) would be applied from my account or her (student) account? As I am applying to renew my passport when she will be applying for SOWP that's why filing SOWP seperately.

alanlyra

Apr 28, 2024
You do not need a job offer or to be employed to apply for a PGWP. However, you do need to be employed to apply for your spouse's open work permit. The job can be any NOC. You must provide proof of employment and recent paystubs.

A lot of people have made that mistake. They apply for both PGWP and SOWP even if the main applicant doesn't have a job. The applications end in an approval of the PGWP and a denied SOWP, which then has to go through a status restoration process which means more time and money.
CAN I GET A PART-TIME JOB? OR IS IT ONLY ACCEPTABLE FULL-TIME JOBS? -I’m applying for the extension of my husband’s SOWP.

azeezdauda33

Feb 17, 2024
CAN I GET A PART-TIME JOB? OR IS IT ONLY ACCEPTABLE FULL-TIME JOBS? -I’m applying for the extension of my husband’s SOWP.
I have a valid offer and I am working ….my wife open work permit expires in 3 months time can I apply for the extension this month (may) or when is the best time to apply? Also she’s not in Canada yet she will be by next week I got her sowp while studying but I recently just finished my program ..so please advise

azeezdauda33

Feb 17, 2024
You do not need a job offer or to be employed to apply for a PGWP. However, you do need to be employed to apply for your spouse's open work permit. The job can be any NOC. You must provide proof of employment and recent paystubs.

A lot of people have made that mistake. They apply for both PGWP and SOWP even if the main applicant doesn't have a job. The applications end in an approval of the PGWP and a denied SOWP, which then has to go through a status restoration process which means more time and money.
I have a valid offer and I am working ….my wife open work permit expires in 3 months time can I apply for the extension this month (may) or when is the best time to apply? Also she’s not in Canada yet she will be by next week I got her sowp while studying but I recently just finished my program ..so please advise

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
You have multiple posts going. Another post you just posted - My wife has completed her first program so she’s planning on doing her second program but I have an open work permit that will expire when her study permit expires by the end of July but am not in Canada yet which I will be tomorrow do I need to be worried at the point of entry ? Please I need an answer asap

So what is it?

azeezdauda33

Feb 17, 2024
You have multiple posts going. Another post you just posted - My wife has completed her first program so she’s planning on doing her second program but I have an open work permit that will expire when her study permit expires by the end of July but am not in Canada yet which I will be tomorrow do I need to be worried at the point of entry ? Please I need an answer asap

So what is it?
Yes I need an advise on this …

azeezdauda33

Feb 17, 2024
Typing error Sorry I meant to write husband was on study permit when my wife got her sowp but not in Canada yet but her sowp expires in 3 months she comes next week ..my concern is won’t there be any issue at the point of entry ?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Typing error Sorry I meant to write husband was on study permit when my wife got her sowp but not in Canada yet but her sowp expires in 3 months she comes next week ..my concern is won’t there be any issue at the point of entry ?
No issue at port of entry.

alanlyra

Apr 28, 2024
No one answered me and the user "azeezdauda33" just quoted my question with another question (?) Can anyone help me?

CAN I GET A PART-TIME JOB OFFER LETTER + 3 PAYSTUBS FOR MY PARTNER'S SOWP EXTENSION? OR IS IT ONLY ACCEPTABLE FULL-TIME JOBS?