+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGP 2024

kiqr

Star Member
Feb 12, 2019
Class action law suit as per IRPA regulation.... there are groups of people who are allowed family reunification by bringing parents, grandparents, children, siblings and even HALF siblings without lottery within 6 months while we Canadian citizens wait decades and are playing lottery, lottery WHICH is not even available past 4 years. Family reunification is family reunification. Family is family, you cannot give one group of people right to family and deprive others... and let other parents die alone waiting to play lottery. plus this lottery system for family members (biological parents) is most inhuman program one can implement in civil society! What if you dont win parents in lottery??? Then What? you are just unlucky and dont deserve a family? It should be for everyone or no one. You cannot give one group the right to family and deprive other group the right, parents cannot be won in lottery... unfortunately parents dont live forever either... waiting for a decade + to sponsor your parents as a eligible sponsor is WRONG! Either everyone is equal under the law or NO ONE IS.

IRPA - Objectives — immigration

• 3(1) The objectives of this Act with respect to immigration are
    • (d) to see that families are reunited in Canada;
I have been waiting for the lottery since 2018 as well. I feel your frustration and completely understand it but what you are demanding does not make sense. Canada is not responsible or liable to allow parents sponsorship for its PR or citizens. They have the right to just cancel this pgp program to stop people from threatening with lawsuits and such. We all chose to immigrate here knowing the fact that our parents might never join us. In our case we are prepared to go back to take care of parents when the time arise but we are not blaming the govt for its policies. I think we should feel lucky that Canada is doing this lottery system unlike other countries who do not consider parents sponsorship at all. So please stop threatening the government with this lawsuit thing because you will take away the opportunity from few people who might get lucky in the lottery while it lasts.

GFLiam

Nov 29, 2016
I have been waiting for the lottery since 2018 as well. I feel your frustration and completely understand it but what you are demanding does not make sense. Canada is not responsible or liable to allow parents sponsorship for its PR or citizens. They have the right to just cancel this pgp program to stop people from threatening with lawsuits and such. We all chose to immigrate here knowing the fact that our parents might never join us. In our case we are prepared to go back to take care of parents when the time arise but we are not blaming the govt for its policies. I think we should feel lucky that Canada is doing this lottery system unlike other countries who do not consider parents sponsorship at all. So please stop threatening the government with this lawsuit thing because you will take away the opportunity from few people who might get lucky in the lottery while it lasts.
While I agree on most of your points, one thing doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me: why keep drawing from the 2020 pool? What gives that pool of people the privileges that none of the previous years applicants nor the people who couldn't apply to show interest after 2020 would have?

Last edited:

Kate_20

Star Member
Aug 13, 2011
While I agree on most of your points, one thing doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me: why keep drawing from the 2020 pool? What gives that pool of people the privileges that none of the previous years applicants nor the people who wouldn't apply to show interest after 2020 would have?
There you go another very very unjust action from IRCC... and very good point youve made. That can be certainly included in the arguments presented to them!

GFLiam

Nov 29, 2016
There you go another very very unjust action from IRCC... and very good point youve made. That can be certainly included in the arguments presented to them!
CBC News Article
I was kind of in the same situation as the person the reporter interviewed in this article - my income fell short in 2020 due to some family reasons I couldn't work for months in 2017 and the income requirements specifically asked for minimum family income for the previous 3 years. Since 2018 my income is way beyond the minimum requirements, but that window is closed for me and I just don't think it's fair.

kiqr

Star Member
Feb 12, 2019
While I agree on most of your points, one thing doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me: why keep drawing from the 2020 pool? What gives that pool of people the privileges that none of the previous years applicants nor the people who wouldn't apply to show interest after 2020 would have?
That pool pretty much includes all the people before 2020 who had been waiting for years and years and had maintained their eligibility all those years. These people in 2020 pool were also pissed off at the government and threatening lawsuits just like people who became eligible after 2020. From where I see, the government is trying to give chance to people who have been eligible since many many years (some are waiting since 10 years or more, their parents are probably very very old now); whereas people who became eligible after 2020 are most likely new immigrants or someone who just became eligible. They cannot make everyone happy. Sure they can open new pool and it will have like 4-500k people in it and only 37k being picked and then the rest will threaten the govt again for being unfair and all. If people are waiting since 10 years or more, surely newly eligible people can wait 4-5 years.

GFLiam

Nov 29, 2016
That pool pretty much includes all the people before 2020 who had been waiting for years and years and had maintained their eligibility all those years. These people in 2020 pool were also pissed off at the government and threatening lawsuits just like people who became eligible after 2020. From where I see, the government is trying to give chance to people who have been eligible since many many years (some are waiting since 10 years or more, their parents are probably very very old now); whereas people who became eligible after 2020 are most likely new immigrants or someone who just became eligible. They cannot make everyone happy. Sure they can open new pool and it will have like 4-500k people in it and only 37k being picked and then the rest will threaten the govt again for being unfair and all. If people are waiting since 10 years or more, surely newly eligible people can wait 4-5 years.
I am sorry, that sentence is an assumption, assuming people who didn't get picked from the previous years all reapplied to show interest. There could be many reasons as to why didn't someone keep applying year after year to show interest and we shouldn't waste time debating that, but none the less, you are making an assumption.
Another thing is, yes it's not about making everyone happy, but it's about making it fair to every Canadians. And who's to say the family members I wanted to sponsor are not "very old"? I just wasn't able to due to financial eligibility reasons, doesn't mean I didn't want to. And again, yes, it's not about making everyone happy, then why are they making the 2020 pool people happier than people before or after them?

kiqr

Star Member
Feb 12, 2019
I am sorry, that sentence is an assumption, assuming people who didn't get picked from the previous years all reapplied to show interest. There could be many reasons as to why didn't someone keep applying year after year to show interest and we shouldn't waste time debating that, but none the less, you are making an assumption.
Another thing is, yes it's not about making everyone happy, but it's about making it fair to every Canadians. And who's to say the family members I wanted to sponsor are not "very old"? I just wasn't able to due to financial eligibility reasons, doesn't mean I didn't want to. And again, yes, it's not about making everyone happy, then why are they making the 2020 pool people happier than people before or after them?
I do not think they are making 2020 pool people happier, but i do think they are going to finish 2020 pool. Once 2020 pool is finished, they will start new pool which will be again drawn from until it’s finished. This might be their strategy and this way there will not be people who are waiting since 10-15 years. I am just speculating but i think this strategy will ensure everyone gets picked at some point in time.

Reactions: GokulGuruprasad

GFLiam

Nov 29, 2016
I do not think they are making 2020 pool people happier, but i do think they are going to finish 2020 pool. Once 2020 pool is finished, they will start new pool which will be again drawn from until it’s finished. This might be their strategy and this way there will not be people who are waiting since 10-15 years. I am just speculating but i think this strategy will ensure everyone gets picked at some point in time.
I mean, you are one of the very few people who seems more level headed with this topic (when I mentioned about the unfairness last year in the PGP2023 thread, people brought pitchforks), so I don't want to pick fights with you.
I just want a calm and fair discussion (or speculation) as to why did IRCC change the announcement and drawing time to first half of this year after doing so closer to end of year pretty much since 2020 pool draws started. Personally I don't see the benefits in terms of operations for IRCC because they are probably still swamped to get the 2023 draws processed, so adding the 2024 draws in there probably doesn't help things at all. Another statistic we haven't actually seen is IRCC kept talking about they "target" to bring in X number of PR through PGP every year from the Y number of draws, we don't actually know if they got how many more or less than X every year. I really wonder how many interested people from 2020 are still interested or eligible due to financial, health or any kinds of reasons.
So here's my speculation, I think in late 2024 the pool will reopen again.

Kate_20

Star Member
Aug 13, 2011

Well you are very wrong on so many points here... first of all Ive been waiting since 2012.. Im in 2024 and still no luck...my parents already used 10 year super visa and 4 time extensions... they have no one to go back home absolutely no one... Im not sure what other countries you are referring to but our closest neighbor (AKA United States).... allows parental sponsorship of anyone who is eligible as a sponsor and is US Citizen... so why look too far.. when we can look very close at our Neighbour... you are also very wrong when you said we chose to immigrate here knowing our parents will never make it here??? Really???? When I came here in 2010 there was No question on the application where it says YOU CAN NEVER BE REUNITED WITH YOUR PARENTS IF YOU IMMIGRATE TO CANADA... if there was this question, I would answer no thanks and never come here... I did know that I would not be able to reunite with parents right away but I waited, Im settled here, I have steady income, Im already a citizen, and my parents already used Super Visa for 10 years so guess what??? At this point, I do have a right to request the same right to fa amily that a lot of people are benefiting from.... Im not threatening anyone.... Im asking for justice and demanding the equal right to family... you cannnot have some people who enjoy last years with their parents and have chance to take care of them and have other group of people playing lottery to have this luxury that for others it's a normal thing... yes for me it's a luxury... under the law are we all equal? Do we all have a right to family? YES WE ARE so thats what Im asking for... nothing more nothing less.... how is it fear that people from certain countries can bring whole dynasty here including half siblings within 6 months and without lottery and I cannot bring my own parents 14 years?????? See? Im not threatening anyone Im just trying to request equal right to a family thats all! :)

Reactions: josal83

kiqr

Star Member
Feb 12, 2019
I mean, you are one of the very few people who seems more level headed with this topic (when I mentioned about the unfairness last year in the PGP2023 thread, people brought pitchforks), so I don't want to pick fights with you.
I just want a calm and fair discussion (or speculation) as to why did IRCC change the announcement and drawing time to first half of this year after doing so closer to end of year pretty much since 2020 pool draws started. Personally I don't see the benefits in terms of operations for IRCC because they are probably still swamped to get the 2023 draws processed, so adding the 2024 draws in there probably doesn't help things at all. Another statistic we haven't actually seen is IRCC kept talking about they "target" to bring in X number of PR through PGP every year from the Y number of draws, we don't actually know if they got how many more or less than X every year. I really wonder how many interested people from 2020 are still interested or eligible due to financial, health or any kinds of reasons.
So here's my speculation, I think in late 2024 the pool will reopen again.
Thank you and yes there is no point in fighting. Its best to have calm discussions around these sensitive topics. You could be right that they are going to open a new pool this year but they might also draw for 2025 this year end similar to what they did earlier in another draw.
If they open a new pool, i hope they improve the interest intake form where they can vet out ineligible people and only keep eligible people in pool.
I am positive there is a stat available on ircc website on how many were invited and how many actually were approved. Let me dig that info. Btw 2023 pgp processing has beeen so damn fast. My friends parents already got the approval of PR - within 2 months of them receiving the AOR.

GFLiam

Nov 29, 2016
Thank you and yes there is no point in fighting. Its best to have calm discussions around these sensitive topics. You could be right that they are going to open a new pool this year but they might also draw for 2025 this year end similar to what they did earlier in another draw.
If they open a new pool, i hope they improve the interest intake form where they can vet out ineligible people and only keep eligible people in pool.
I am positive there is a stat available on ircc website on how many were invited and how many actually were approved. Let me dig that info. Btw 2023 pgp processing has beeen so damn fast. My friends parents already got the approval of PR - within 2 months of them receiving the AOR.
I agree they need to do a better job in vetting and accepting the interest to sponsor vs just putting people's hand up. I believe something "easy" that the government computer database could help such has the sponsor would have filed taxes and take the income number from there for example as the initial screening. I just felt it's probably the right time to open up the pool again and put out some of the public hate on this topic. I also think may be even make it clear this is going to THE pool for X years until further notice? I know it may not work out for everyone, but some transparency is better than none.
I was just reading some of the PGP 2022 and 2023 posts and some people don't get AOR for months since receiving their invites, but that's also how IRCC processing for you.

kiqr

Star Member
Feb 12, 2019
Well you are very wrong on so many points here... first of all Ive been waiting since 2012.. Im in 2024 and still no luck...my parents already used 10 year super visa and 4 time extensions... they have no one to go back home absolutely no one... Im not sure what other countries you are referring to but our closest neighbor (AKA United States).... allows parental sponsorship of anyone who is eligible as a sponsor and is US Citizen... so why look too far.. when we can look very close at our Neighbour... you are also very wrong when you said we chose to immigrate here knowing our parents will never make it here??? Really???? When I came here in 2010 there was No question on the application where it says YOU CAN NEVER BE REUNITED WITH YOUR PARENTS IF YOU IMMIGRATE TO CANADA... if there was this question, I would answer no thanks and never come here... I did know that I would not be able to reunite with parents right away but I waited, Im settled here, I have steady income, Im already a citizen, and my parents already used Super Visa for 10 years so guess what??? At this point, I do have a right to request the same right to fa amily that a lot of people are benefiting from.... Im not threatening anyone.... Im asking for justice and demanding the equal right to family... you cannnot have some people who enjoy last years with their parents and have chance to take care of them and have other group of people playing lottery to have this luxury that for others it's a normal thing... yes for me it's a luxury... under the law are we all equal? Do we all have a right to family? YES WE ARE so thats what Im asking for... nothing more nothing less.... how is it fear that people from certain countries can bring whole dynasty here including half siblings within 6 months and without lottery and I cannot bring my own parents 14 years?????? See? Im not threatening anyone Im just trying to request equal right to a family thats all! :)
Were you not in the 2020 pool? I believe its not fair to compare to the US because they do not have free health coverage like Canada. Not sure about their pension but they probably do not provide pension to old people who never worked there unlike Canada where old age pension is available to all regardless of them working here or not.
I came to Canada as a student in 2011 and it was first come first service then; by the time I graduated and started working on my eligibility it was the lottery system. I was not shocked or disappointed because supervisa option existed and it meant my parents can still be with me but on a visitor status. We should all accept that we all want PR for its free health coverage and other benefits else it did not matter if they had supervisa or PR. My parents have supervisa and I am just blessed that they can be with us in their old age even if its on visitor status. Atleast your parents are with you and not far away so you should atleast try to be happy.

Reactions: GokulGuruprasad

kiqr

Star Member
Feb 12, 2019
I agree they need to do a better job in vetting and accepting the interest to sponsor vs just putting people's hand up. I believe something "easy" that the government computer database could help such has the sponsor would have filed taxes and take the income number from there for example as the initial screening. I just felt it's probably the right time to open up the pool again and put out some of the public hate on this topic. I also think may be even make it clear this is going to THE pool for X years until further notice? I know it may not work out for everyone, but some transparency is better than none.
I was just reading some of the PGP 2022 and 2023 posts and some people don't get AOR for months since receiving their invites, but that's also how IRCC processing for you.
I agree, they should be transparent so people can stop arguing online .

harpreet8

Aug 24, 2023
Hi, the person in the article is me. Personally I think the freezing of the pool is wrong, ITSF used to open every year (one way or another). IRCC even said it would open in 2020 so we were lied to. There are people in the current pool who shouldn't be, and they will get a ticket to sponsor instead of us.

Anyway, another petition is being launched & i'm trying to get more media attention. If anyone is interested in speaking to the media please reach out to me. This is timely as journalists are trying to get the story to go live before the draw starts.

CBC News Article
I was kind of in the same situation as the person the reporter interviewed in this article - my income fell short in 2020 due to some family reasons I couldn't work for months in 2017 and the income requirements specifically asked for minimum family income for the previous 3 years. Since 2018 my income is way beyond the minimum requirements, but that window is closed for me and I just don't think it's fair.

Reactions: Kate_20

harpreet8

Aug 24, 2023
Hi everyone. After IRCC announced that the pool will remain locked, there's quite a few angry people. Getting together launching another e-petition this week (it will probably have minimal impact but at least the Government will know that there are people disappointed in the process). There is a website you can use that has a template you can use to contact your MP - along with a form if you want to sign the petition https://pgpcanadaupdate.ca/.

A National News Publisher (one of the biggest in Canada) are going to run story with people who feel the closure of the pool is unfair. If you're willing to go on the record please reach out to me and I can put you in touch with the journalist.

Reactions: Kate_20