+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Permanent Resident Travel Document - Need your help

Nov 16, 2018
2 month ago - I booked my flight to Barcelona and Madrid - from Edmonton
1 month ago - I lost my PR card in - Edmonton
1 month ago - Immediately I applied for PR card in 'Urgent' - Still no reply - 'View' button is frozen

Now, my trip is scheduled on 12th of May 2024 - Duration - 7 days only.12 days to go !
I have not heard back from PR card replacement and I lost my hope that I will get it on time.

'Plan B' :(
My fried gave a suggestion that I apply for a Travel document (TD). Problem is, travel document is only applicable if I am applying from outside Canada.
Can someone please suggest if this is possible ?

Today - I will apply for travel document stating I am in Spain and get the process initiated .
After 12 days - Leave Canada without my PR card
Once I arrive in Spain , go to center and submit my passport immediately.

I am not sure this will work, can someone please guide me ?

Thank you in advance. :)

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
2 month ago - I booked my flight to Barcelona and Madrid - from Edmonton
1 month ago - I lost my PR card in - Edmonton
1 month ago - Immediately I applied for PR card in 'Urgent' - Still no reply - 'View' button is frozen

Now, my trip is scheduled on 12th of May 2024 - Duration - 7 days only.12 days to go !
I have not heard back from PR card replacement and I lost my hope that I will get it on time.

'Plan B' :(
My fried gave a suggestion that I apply for a Travel document (TD). Problem is, travel document is only applicable if I am applying from outside Canada.
Can someone please suggest if this is possible ?

Today - I will apply for travel document stating I am in Spain and get the process initiated .
After 12 days - Leave Canada without my PR card
Once I arrive in Spain , go to center and submit my passport immediately.

I am not sure this will work, can someone please guide me ?

Thank you in advance. :)
Can you travel to USA from Spain / Europe? If so, you can fly to a US destination and then travel through a land border (without PRTD) by foot or private vehicle.

Reactions: armoured
Nov 16, 2018
Thank you very much for the response.

Unfortunately I do not have a US visa. I am an Indian Citizen and visa wait time is more than 1 year. I thought about that option.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thank you very much for the response.

Unfortunately I do not have a US visa. I am an Indian Citizen and visa wait time is more than 1 year. I thought about that option.
Are you in compliance with the residency obligation? By a comfortable margin? Any useful background on your pr, for example, have you been continuously resident and eg employed since becoming a PR?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Yes. I meet all the requirements.
I am employed.
I have completed 800 days now.
There are factors that might impact delays, e.g. whether you'd had issues or been out of compliance before or live outside Canada for a long time before applying. Not saying you have to share all details of your life, just saying that 'I met the minimum requirements' may not be the whole story.

I doubt anyone can give you certainty or comfort that your plan will work - in terms of getting you a PRTD or the PR card itself 'in time' to return as planned.

That said, I do not think that it's crazy. The risks are you could get delayed and I can't estimate what those risks are nor the costs to you.

Only additional suggestion I could make is to a) contact your MP's office and see if they can get any more useful information; b) call IRCC youself to see if you can find anything out; and, c) make sure you have someone who can receive your mail should the card arrive while you're away and courier it to you.

Probably there are other suggestions others could make. Apart from getting the card before you leave though, none of them will likely get you to certainty.