+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Open work permit and study permit in Canada

Ethan202305

Sep 13, 2023
Hello everyone,

My wife has an open work permit and is working part time for now in Canada. She wants to study for a master's program starting from September, 2024 in Canada.

Does she need to apply for a study permit? Or is there any way to transfer her open work permit to a study permit?

Thanks in advance!!

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Reactions: Ethan202305

Ethan202305

Sep 13, 2023
Yes, you are right. My wife's program is a master one, so she does not need a LOA. And the funds proof will cover the first-year tuition amount and the $20,635 regulated by IRCC.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Yes, you are right. My wife's program is a master one, so she does not need a LOA. And the funds proof will cover the first-year tuition amount and the $20,635 regulated by IRCC.
She needs a Letter of Admissions to apply for study permit. You are thinking about PAL. Proof of funds is for 2 people if you are in Canada.

azeezdauda33

Feb 17, 2024
My wife has completed her first program so she’s planning on doing her second program but I have an open work permit that will expire when her study permit expires by the end of July but am not in Canada yet which I will be tomorrow do I need to be worried at the point of entry ? Please I need an answer asap

Ethan202305

Sep 13, 2023
My wife has completed her first program so she’s planning on doing her second program but I have an open work permit that will expire when her study permit expires by the end of July but am not in Canada yet which I will be tomorrow do I need to be worried at the point of entry ? Please I need an answer asap
Hi, I once heard of similar concern, but it depends on the point of entry. Some are not that strict on the remaining validity period, but some are strict. So it is hard to answer this question. It is better to ask the point of entry you will arrive to confirm it.

azeezdauda33

Feb 17, 2024
Hi, I once heard of similar concern, but it depends on the point of entry. Some are not that strict on the remaining validity period, but some are strict. So it is hard to answer this question. It is better to ask the point of entry you will arrive to confirm it.
Pearson airport Toronto