+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

on-campus work experience counts as job experience?

canuck09

Feb 12, 2008
Hi, I am a third year international student. I would like to apply for PR eventually, and I want to speed up the process. I know that I need at least 12 months' full time work experience or its equivalent in PT before I apply for PR. I have held various part time jobs on campus since second year, as student assistant at geography department, as a residence adviser, as a staff on the school newspaper and as student assistant at a cancer research centre affiliated to my university. All of these positions were 8 month positions and I worked an average of 15 hours a week at each job over the school year. I plan to work full time 4 months this summer as well as full time for 4 months next summer. That equals 8 months of FT work; I was wondering if my on-campus work experience would fill up the remaining 4 months' work experience that I need?
Thanks for any help in advance.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

canuck09 said:
Hi, I am a third year international student. I would like to apply for PR eventually, and I want to speed up the process. I know that I need at least 12 months' full time work experience or its equivalent in PT before I apply for PR. I have held various part time jobs on campus since second year, as student assistant at geography department, as a residence adviser, as a staff on the school newspaper and as student assistant at a cancer research centre affiliated to my university. All of these positions were 8 month positions and I worked an average of 15 hours a week at each job over the school year. I plan to work full time 4 months this summer as well as full time for 4 months next summer. That equals 8 months of FT work; I was wondering if my on-campus work experience would fill up the remaining 4 months' work experience that I need?
Thanks for any help in advance.
You need 12 months of continuous full time skilled work for it to count, the job must be level A,B or O in the NOC.

PMM

canuck09

Feb 12, 2008
But I checked the CIC website and it says you have to have at least one continuous year of full-time, paid work experience or the equivalent in part-time continuous employment?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

canuck09 said:
But I checked the CIC website and it says you have to have at least one continuous year of full-time, paid work experience or the equivalent in part-time continuous employment?
You have to have 1950 hours to equal 1 year. Residence advisor, and school newspaper, probably are not at the skill level required.

PMM

canuck09

Feb 12, 2008
Hi, I have a question regarding this again. Does the full time employment have to be continous? I am planning to work 4 months full-time this summer, and then probably full time after I graduate next year. Can I count this year's full-time work (assuming it is an appropriate level of work that fits into one of the categories) towards the 1 year work experience? Many thanks.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
HI

canuck09 said:
Hi, I have a question regarding this again. Does the full time employment have to be continous? I am planning to work 4 months full-time this summer, and then probably full time after I graduate next year. Can I count this year's full-time work (assuming it is an appropriate level of work that fits into one of the categories) towards the 1 year work experience? Many thanks.
The operative word is Continuous, no breaks.

PMM