+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Non-resident/tax issues

mehmeh

Star Member
Jan 23, 2007
Hi there, I have some points below that needs some clarification, Kindly correct me if I am wrong:

1. A Canadian citizen is considered a non-resident if he stays less than 183 days in the country.

2. A non-resident Canadian citizen can also be allowed to work (part-time) during his few months stay in the country.

3. If a Canadian citizen live and work most of the year in another country but at the same time live and work in Canada for a shorter period of time in a year (say 4-5 months only), thus he should be paying taxes "separately" for both countries and there is no need to declare here in Canada how much he was earning outside the country since he is considered a non-resident anyway.

4. Having bank accounts in Canada does not really meant one has residential ties in Canada.

Thanks so much for any info you could share!

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You are right about #4. Make sure you told your bank that you are a non resident of Canada.

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
October 2009 and 15 April 2011
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
mehmeh said:
Hi there, I have some points below that needs some clarification, Kindly correct me if I am wrong:

1. A Canadian citizen is considered a non-resident if he stays less than 183 days in the country.

2. A non-resident Canadian citizen can also be allowed to work (part-time) during his few months stay in the country.

3. If a Canadian citizen live and work most of the year in another country but at the same time live and work in Canada for a shorter period of time in a year (say 4-5 months only), thus he should be paying taxes "separately" for both countries and there is no need to declare here in Canada how much he was earning outside the country since he is considered a non-resident anyway.

4. Having bank accounts in Canada does not really meant one has residential ties in Canada.

Thanks so much for any info you could share!
You are correct on all 4 points. The only concern is that the more "secondary" ties you have with Canada, the more likely CRA is to deem you a taxpayer. There is a host of "secondary" ties -- such as bank accounts, a driver's licence, etc -- that CRA might conclude add up to effective tax-residency (thanks to Jonathan for suggesting this very-clear term).

However, until or unless that lamentable moment arrives, you are not taxable in Canada for income earned outside the country.