+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

LMIA - Validity and Job Experience

CanadaRatan

Dec 12, 2023
Hi Guys,

I have studied and stayed in Canada for the last 4 years, and my Work Permit expires in 2 months. Just a few days ago I legally got an LMIA Job that requires me to move to another City. Will I be able to apply for a closed work permit extension by directly using the LMIA certificate or before applying for an extension do I need to work at the LMIA company for some months to validate the LMIA Certificate?

Thank you

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi Guys,

I have studied and stayed in Canada for the last 4 years, and my Work Permit expires in 2 months. Just a few days ago I legally got an LMIA Job that requires me to move to another City. Will I be able to apply for a closed work permit extension by directly using the LMIA certificate or before applying for an extension do I need to work at the LMIA company for some months to validate the LMIA Certificate?

Thank you
No you apply for closed work permit now.

CanadaRatan

Dec 12, 2023
Thank you @Naturgrl for replying to my post.

To clarify, So even though I have 2 months left now I will start the LMIA job next month.

1) I can use the LMIA certificate to get a closed work permit, right?

2) I don't need to work there for 6 months or 1 year to get the closed work permit extension, right?

Thank you

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Thank you @Naturgrl for replying to my post.

To clarify, So even though I have 2 months left now I will start the LMIA job next month.

1) I can use the LMIA certificate to get a closed work permit, right?

2) I don't need to work there for 6 months or 1 year to get the closed work permit extension, right?

Thank you
1. You can apply for closed work permit now because processing is 4-5 months.
2. No. You are getting a new closed work permit.