+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

LMIA-Closed Work Permit - Live in different province

AnyUserName

Star Member
Oct 5, 2021
Hello!

I've a work permit valid for Vancouver (and remarks says allowed to work across Canada). I'm changing the job & job the interim authorization (https://www.cicnews.com/2022/03/ircc-extends-interim-authorization-to-work-policy-for-trvs-in-canada-until-february-2023-0322863.html#gs.6lz3yj) to start with new company with a new LMIA. The company is complete remote, but has an address of Toronto in the application.

The company doesn't care either you are in Toronto or Vancouver, so want to understand from the legal / IRCC perspective:

1. DO I need to move to Toronto to start the new job?
2. Is it allowed to apply for a new TRV using the interim authorization while waiting on the new work permit?
2. If I just use my friends address from Toronto to pay tax in Toronto, would it be a problem to continue living in Vancouver?
3. Having a job in Toronto on closed-work permit, while living in Vancouver (even though pay tax in Toronto) - could it be a problem with PR application? or can be considered mis-representation?

thanhtam23

Nov 27, 2023
Hello!

I've a work permit valid for Vancouver (and remarks says allowed to work across Canada). I'm changing the job & job the interim authorization (https://www.cicnews.com/2022/03/ircc-extends-interim-authorization-to-work-policy-for-trvs-in-canada-until-february-2023-0322863.html#gs.6lz3yj) to start with new company with a new LMIA. The company is complete remote, but has an address of Toronto in the application.

The company doesn't care either you are in Toronto or Vancouver, so want to understand from the legal / IRCC perspective:

1. DO I need to move to Toronto to start the new job?
2. Is it allowed to apply for a new TRV using the interim authorization while waiting on the new work permit?
2. If I just use my friends address from Toronto to pay tax in Toronto, would it be a problem to continue living in Vancouver?
3. Having a job in Toronto on closed-work permit, while living in Vancouver (even though pay tax in Toronto) - could it be a problem with PR application? or can be considered mis-representation?
same questions, anyone could advise?